Sponsored

Help with MGW Shifter and a first gear

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
Haven’t driven her in 2 or 3 weeks, took her out tonight and it seems I can’t always get into first gear from neutral, no problem getting into reverse, if I can’t get into first straight from neutral I found if I go into second from neutral and then straight up It goes in fine, sometimes it goes into first from neutral no problem. Is this me? Or something anyone else has experienced?
Sponsored

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
Normal manual trans characteristic, certain times when stopped the gears are stopped in such way it makes it difficult to engage first. By going into another gear it moves the gears just enough to allow first to engage.

Just be sure you adjusted the stop properly when you installed the shifter otherwise quite normal.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
Thanks, shifter was installed by a specialty racing shop who has done them before, have had the shifter several months and never experienced this before, but she sat for 3 weeks un driven, I only noticed it tonight, but your explanation makes a whole lot of sense. I will drive her some more, if it’s a recurrent problem then I guess back to the shop. Thanks for some encouraging info.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
Go to the MGW site. There is a good video of the adjustment procedure. At least you will understand how it is adjusted that way. The set screw could have loosened.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I was gonna suggest it but you guys beat me to it....reverse lockout pin adjustment.

Sponsored

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
I have this "getting into first" problem, but I experience it by the trans going into 3rd instead of first.

You can check your lockout pin adjustment easily: with the trans in 1st, move the lever to the left - if it moves and you hear the lockout pin "click", you are not "over adjusted". The top of my factory gearshift knob moves ~3/8" before the pin makes contact, if yours moves significantly more, it may be "under adjusted", promoting lockout.

I've concluded that my issue is not MGW related, but user error and possibly trans related. Prior to the MGW, I've had the 1st gear pop-out multiple times. But it too, might just have been user error. I don't drive the car much and the gearshift is 10 times stiffer than my other rides.

Over time I've found that being firm and deliberate with shifting into first resolves the issue - only when I'm not focusing does it occur these days.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The set screw could have loosened.
FYI: There is no setscrew - the lockout pin threads into the shifter and a self-locking nut, acting as a jam nut secures it. Nothing to come loose, if properly installed.

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I used to have this problem before the MGW install, now I dont anymore and I have had over 12,000 miles on my car with the shifter without this issue. Maybe it is trans/shifter mating related. Not sure or maybe my issue was different to begin with but I can say the MGW adjustment video is very well made and I got mine working in my first try. I love this shifter, to this date I have driven cars like 997 GT3RS which is the holy grail of manual transmission NA car and I m proud to say george’s shifter is a better shifter than anything else I have used.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
FYI: There is no setscrew - the lockout pin threads into the shifter and a self-locking nut, acting as a jam nut secures it. Nothing to come loose, if properly installed.
Technically you are correct but the lockout pin is threaded and has a hole for an Allen wrench just like a set screw.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
OP i had the exact same issue tonight. car sat for a week and a half and we had a 74 degree day...i left work early to go for a spin.

mine didn’t want to go into 1st once and that is the first time it has happened since my MGW/BG fluids swap. i know my lockout is fine, i think this is just the tranny.

darn, guess i’ll hafta drive it more :)

Sponsored

N9TMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550, e36 m3 , s2000
Why did you swap the original shifter with cheap mgw crap?

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Having a shifter stick attempting to go into a gear sucks. My experience, not Shelby, or MGW....had a Z06 corvette and was racing at Hockenhein, Germany at the annual Vette/viper shootout, and just had installed the latest greatest Z06 shifter, forgot what brand, might have been hurst. In 2 lap of heat and shifter starts sticking, WTFO....in 3 lap, caan’t Shift into lower gears, WTFO....had to cruise in 15 place out of heat of 31.....come to find out The set screw came loose. Told myself, never again. I just don’t want the fuss, but you guys are all excited about the MGW and the peer pressure is killing me.

It’s seems that the these happen at the most unoportunistic instant. Still drooling over one of these as that’s the way we are built, mod for life, especially if ain’t broke. In Augusta today so might stop by

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just don’t want the fuss, but you guys are all excited about the MGW and the peer pressure is killing me.

It’s seems that the these happen at the most unoportunistic instant. Still drooling over one of these as that’s the way we are built, mod for life, especially if ain’t broke. In Augusta today so might stop by
At first, I didn't see the need to change, but that rifle bolt action in their video kept calling me...took the plunge, very happy. It, along with my custom steering wheel really enhances the 350 experience. Still thinking of buying another MGW, just so I can display it in my garage and look at it!
mgw-1.JPG

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Yeah, they sure are pretty. The fact the company evolved out of the gun manufacturer business and has experience with tight CNC tolerances adds to the credence of MGW. When it sticks, is it because of non-use, lack of lube, or a bonafide alignment issue during install?

My factory popped out of 1 when first new, until I got used to it, has not happened since. I just don’t want dejavu again.
Sponsored