Help with dealership oil change advice

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I tried the Dealer a couple times for oil changes. One time they skipped a quart of oil and the other time they argued with me that I don’t need Synthetic over and over again. Okay but I’m the customer and that’s what I want. I had no idea what they put in but I was done with them.

Race Ramps are great.

I could never use those $1k lifts some of you guys use. I’d be scared the entire time that it would collapse on me. Jack stands are cool but I’d be worried of them falling on me as well.
Same here I'm paranoid of getting crushed under the car to maybe save $50... or less by the time I buy all that is needed to do it. And I suck at working on cars and am more likely to screw something up. I would likely wind up as flat as Sponge Bob Square Pants or Gumby (for my generation) so I'm not doing that...
Sponsored

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Only inconvenience with the ramps is putting oil back in the engine with car not being level gets little tricky to get the right level.
I don't finish filling until after it's off the ramps and level. Fill the filter, pour in five quarts and back it off the ramps. Let it sit for a few minutes and make the final adjustment. I do all mine that way.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I don't finish filling until after it's off the ramps and level. Fill the filter, pour in five quarts and back it off the ramps. Let it sit for a few minutes and make the final adjustment. I do all mine that way.
I know there are ways to do it - just said it's a minor inconvenience. 5 quarts btw is half of the capacity so I personally wouldn't start the engine with half of its oil.

I personally use quick jack for oil changes and many other things....

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
I know there are ways to do it - just said it's a minor inconvenience. 5 quarts btw is half of the capacity so I personally wouldn't start the engine with half of its oil.

I personally use quick jack for oil changes and many other things....
Five quarts plus the pint or so in the filter is just shy of maximum. My larger filter may put the re-fill at six quarts plus a pint. If mine was a GT, I'd probably put in an extra 1/2 jug before I backed off the ramps. BTW, start-up and run 30 seconds on 1/2 the oil isn't a big deal.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Thanks guys sorry for being so obsessed over something so small. I am just upset I wanted to keep this car car in great shape.

The Jack the mechanic told me was lowered to the lowest position. Is there a way that Jack could of been taken off altogether? I was lucky they let me drive it on the ramp however I'm not so tech savvy and I didn't even notice there was Jack. It's like a hump in the middle of the lift.i just followed his instructions to drive up on it.

As for por 15 I am going to buy that. Would you recommend buying self etch primer first than the por 15? Or just por 15 on it's own and that's it.

After por 15 is on can I spray a grey primer over it?
Thanks guys
I’m guessing the jack looked something like that. The ones I’ve used can typically be rotated and put horizontally to where they’re below or flush with the platform the car drives on. That way there’s no issues getting a car on then once the car is up you can move it back and forth to where you need it and just lift the car up.
CFD2133B-FA97-4FF0-B1DD-28D65D27D272.jpeg

Sponsored

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
My 2014 was on one of those with no issues.
IM_HDR-crop.jpg

OP
OP
Ghostrealm

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Triple Yellow Mustang Convertible Fully Loaded with GT body package, 2002,Black WS6 Trans am Ram Air (winter car) First car 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT
yes that is the jack on the hoist! Why did the frame rail under the car touch it then if yours cleared ok? The Mechanic said it was as low as it could go? This is exactly what I was on and the front bumper cleared but the frame rail under the car scraped it. Here is a picture i circled in paint of the part it scraped on the passenger side.
underside.jpg
EF27R0.jpg

OP
OP
Ghostrealm

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Triple Yellow Mustang Convertible Fully Loaded with GT body package, 2002,Black WS6 Trans am Ram Air (winter car) First car 2000 Laser Red Mustang GT
You know what pissed me off it looks like it could of gone lower according to these pics how it was was sorta raised like this. I think he lied to me.
41TcNL2ZB3L.jpg

Picture on the right looks like how it was when I drove on it when it should of looks liked picture on the left.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
You know what pissed me off it looks like it could of gone lower according to these pics how it was was sorta raised like this. I think he lied to me.
41TcNL2ZB3L.jpg

Picture on the right looks like how it was when I drove on it when it should of looks liked picture on the left.
It absolutely could go lower - it can go entirely flat with the lift. Friend has something similar with the alignment rack - was under it quite a few times.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
We each have the right to be as OCD as we want, or not at all. Some owners won't drive their car in rain just because of the chance for rusting earlier.

Plus, the OP would get a reminder of his incident when he notices that area rusting 5 years from now. So I support him in being proactive now to prevent that later. It's what I do with my car.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ghostrealm

Ghostrealm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks GTP.You nailed it. I just know that in 5 years if I drive without taking care of something small like this the rust will spread under the whole car. I just know it.

A few people mentioned to use Por 15 rust paint. However I am reading reviews that it just peels away as its not good. I called por and he said regular primer would hold moisture and cause rust. So what would the solution be we are just talking abut 2 inches of a scrape that didnt tear or chew the metal. It just scraped off the electrostatic paint Ford uses on the underside of the car. There was no colour or clear on that spot just zinc electrostitc paint they use to dip the car in when it is originally painted.

So your teling me the mechanic could of put it lower and lied to me when he said it was the lowest i could go and it still looked raise in the picture?

That just makes me want to call the owner of the dealership. However I am not one to want to get someone in trouble. So iI dont know really how to approach this.

pozi240

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 700A HP 6M FJG, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
I'm going to give my dealer a chance to service my car as it seems they have a pretty good rep & they sell alot of Mustangs. If they piss me off then that's it though I'm gone for good.
If the Ford dealer you speak of (I too live in Ottawa) is the one alongside the 417 that "sells a lot of Mustangs", good luck to you my friend... I can share some horror stories about them. I drive way across town to Manotick for my service now.. wouldn't trust that dealer to change a wiper blade... Ford Corporate even got involved when that SVT dealer screwed up my wife's Explorer and then tried to blame her (luckily, our dash cam recorded everything they did).

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
At one point years ago, there was a chain of locations that would rent lift space. They also had the major tools many folks couldn't afford and only needed once. There was a tech there who could provide advice and some coaching. One was slated for here, but never opened. I suspect the insurance costs were pretty steep.

As for the dealer, remember: the guy changing oil there today may have been fired by Jiffy Lube last month.
Military bases. As a civilian contractor I have access to their autocraft place. Charges $6 and hour for a 4 point lift you can do anything on. Different lifts are cheaper and they have non lift bays too. 90% of the tools you need they have typically. I'd bet you could spend the time for a visitors pass on any base and rent bay space with the autocraft place even if you don't work with the military at all. Never had to try it but should work.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
A few people mentioned to use Por 15 rust paint. However I am reading reviews that it just peels away as its not good. I called por and he said regular primer would hold moisture and cause rust. So what would the solution be we are just talking abut 2 inches of a scrape that didnt tear or chew the metal. It just scraped off the electrostatic paint Ford uses on the underside of the car. There was no colour or clear on that spot just zinc electrostitc paint they use to dip the car in when it is originally painted.
I just spray Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing Compound, pn 7585, and hope for the best.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
I hate that this happened to your pony. I understand. I drive around water puddles so my engine compartment doesn't get splashed up. For my .02, I would spray it with truck bed liner that I used to purchase from a Sherwin Williams store. It was available in standard sized spray cans.
Sponsored