Sponsored

Help, what would cause the wheel bearing /hub to break off ? Only one lug nut holding the rear tire šŸ›ž (video)

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
That looks more then likely over torqued studs. Once you take the wheels off and compare them youā€™ll get a better idea. If the stud holes are over bored thatā€™s a clear sign of a wheel being under torqued, meaning studs played around in the holes and from the video itā€™s hard to tell.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
Picture

B616E8C0-AC0B-4EFF-AC2B-79FC06A62680.jpeg

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Now you get to replace all the other wheel lugs on the car too. If the idiots overtorqued one wheel you can bet the overtorqued everything else too.

150ft/lbs is the spec. Aftermarket wheels or nuts doesnā€™t change that as the torque value is speced for the stud itself from its diameter and thread pitch.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Those had to literally had to have been torque over 220lb-ft... Possibly more. Over stretched. Takes a LOT of force to do that to a 14mm hardened stud.

OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
I bought a new set of 20 w/lock

Sponsored

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
Thank you for your input. The rims are made specifically for the car and they came with those lug nuts. I donā€™t believe the wheels were touched during that last visit to the shop. Maybe itā€™s a torque issue ? The shop that installed them had 3 idiots working together to install them and I didnā€™t see them measure torque at all. Do you know how much they should be torqued to? I want to make sure theyā€™re torqued properly
Most of my cars have lug nut torque specs from 75 to 85 ft-lbs.
Back when I took them to Firestone for inspection and tire mounting, I regularly got them back with the lug nuts so tight, it would take > 150 ft-lbs to loosen them. It was over 225 ft-lbs, one day, so 3x the torque spec.

The manager at the desk would tell me that shouldn't be possible, because the mechanics have a "torque stick" that limits the torque possible from the air wrench.

A mechanic I'm friends with told me the torque stick doesn't matter if the mechanic doesn't make the effort to pick it up and put it on the damn air wrench.

Eventually some studs broke on my Mitsubishi, after enough cycles of being over-torqued.

My question is: If your studs broke because of mechanics over-torqueing them on every visit, how do you prove it's their fault?
...'Cause now those idiots owe you some studs, and the labor cost of having a competent shop install them.

Last edited:

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Most of my cars have lug nut torque specs from 75 to 85 ft-lbs.
Back when I took them to Firestone for inspection and tire mounting, I regularly got them back with the lug nuts so tight, it would take > 150 ft-lbs to loosen them. It was over 225 ft-lbs, one day, so 3x the torque spec.

The manager at the desk would tell me that shouldn't be possible, because the mechanics have a "torque stick" that limits the torque possible from the air wrench.

A mechanic I'm friends with told me the torque stick doesn't matter if the mechanic doesn't make the effort to pick it up and put it on the damn air wrench.

Eventually some studs broke on my Mitsubishi, after enough cycles of being over-torqued.

My question is: If your studs broke because of mechanics over-torqueing them on every visit, how do you prove it's their fault?
...'Cause now those idiots owe you some studs, and the labor cost of having a competent shop install them.

Never go back and make sure everyone that you know and care about knows to never go to that shop. Post the shops name and address here, too. You could be saving someone's life.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m not ever going back there. I just picked my car up.
Flat bed tow $230
Hub Aseembly $185
Labor $250
Plus a day away from work smh.

OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
Plus it broke while I was in Detroit in a terrible area I could have gotten robbed or car jacked at damn 3am.

Sponsored

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Plus it broke while I was in Detroit in a terrible area I could have gotten robbed or car jacked at damn 3am.
At least if you got car jacked they wouldn't have gotten very far with only 3 wheels!

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
It'd be nice to see an in-depth, scientific analysis done. The last one I looked at was from wheel stud failures seen at a racing school that many of you here were privy to by purchasing the very car that brings you here. The failure mode there was of a different type but the breakdown was eye opening. I can't share the results but they were definitely not what was expected.

Internet quarterbacking here requires a number of assumptions which really isn't fair in terms of an genuinely scientific and accurate assessment but since that seems to be the way the world operates at the moment, I'll take a crack at what I see. I'll assume the studs were installed properly (pressed and not pulled) and fully seated along with none of them being defective.

Right off the bat, and a question to the OP...was the aftermarket wheel you used hubcentric but to a different diameter than what Ford uses in this application? I ask because I see what looks to be a nylon spacer slid onto the axle hub register.

Not a fan at all of this type of "solution" but I digress. Point being, the loading on the studs could be different than normal (read: bad) if a stud issue allows the minimum required amount of friction between the rotor face/inner wheel hub face to fail to meet threshold and you lose concentricity.

I also see something on the threads. OP, did you or the installer use anti-seize on the threads? Fodder for another discussion that can go off in a number of different directions and I'm just trying to better understand the conditions in this case. I numbered the studs for discussion purposes but you can clearly see something on stud #2 and evidence of such in the same approximate locations on the remaining studs.

Wheel Stud Failure on 6G.jpg

If my eyes are right, my thoughts lead to what torque figure was used. Anti-seize isn't the best lubricant for this application (scatter) as it can lead to inconsistent and thus inaccurate tension being applied. We don't know the methodology used by the installer, ie, torque figure reduction using X% for friction reduction and/or if that target figure was attained when installed. All we have is a picture.

Of a number of scenarios involving the order of failure I lean towards the following. I could see #2 and #3 failing first. This left $1 and #4 to give it everything they had as they now faced the high bar, with #1 losing the contest and exiting next. This left #4 in a weaker state than #5 so it failed next and in a somewhat different mode than the other failures - more on that in a minute. The last man standing, #5, is no doubt on the verge and I suspect microanalysis would show fractures at a similar thread root location as the others.

As to whether the studs were installed using too high or too low of a torque figure...my sense is the error was made in that there was not enough tension imparted and the failure mode was fatigue (this is where the aforementioned concentricty and friction issue can wreak havoc on the fasteners). Failed wheel studs due to extreme and repeated impact gun use often shear at a near 45* angle or have other characteristics such as "necking" (reduced fastener diameter) whereby the overall length of the fastener increases permanently - they become "plastic" or permanently elongated. If that is indeed anti-seize on the fasteners, one might assume that these may have been overtorqued at some point. Tough to assess that one.

It does look as though the wheel holes were somewhat "oblonged." Look closely.

699768-4ba711e801a388a27b18ba26e2d92351.jpg

Wheel movement under braking/turning due to inadequate preload on the studs meant there was inadequate clamp load. Wheel studs are designed to be under tension and without shear (a force applied 90* to the stud axis in this case). Studs #2 and #3 show cyclical loading. It looks as if the preload was low as you see on both a large area that is flat and bright as the shear forces dominated and caused abrasion, creating the smooth face. You can see ratchet marks as well (radial arcs on the smooth surface) which indicate high stress concentrations. Stud #4 looks to have started to fail in similar fashion and then with roughly 50% left it failed in tension rapidly and just ripped right off. I suspect this is when the driver really noticed this while driving. Thank God for stud #5, it may have saved a life.

ON EDIT - OP, I would pay very close attention the hardware on the remaining three wheel/hub/stud assemblies. As in removal, vigorous cleaning and inspection. You may have another failure right around the corner if the conditions regarding hardware choice and install were the same.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Unas2k5

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
It'd be nice to see an in-depth, scientific analysis done. The last one I looked at was from wheel stud failures seen at a racing school that many of you here were privy to by purchasing the very car that brings you here. The failure mode there was of a different type but the breakdown was eye opening. I can't share the results but they were definitely not what was expected.

Internet quarterbacking here requires a number of assumptions which really isn't fair in terms of an genuinely scientific and accurate assessment but since that seems to be the way the world operates at the moment, I'll take a crack at what I see. I'll assume the studs were installed properly (pressed and not pulled) and fully seated along with none of them being defective.

Right off the bat, and a question to the OP...was the aftermarket wheel you used hubcentric but to a different diameter than what Ford uses in this application? I ask because I see what looks to be a nylon spacer slid onto the axle hub register.

Not a fan at all of this type of "solution" but I digress. Point being, the loading on the studs could be different than normal (read: bad) if a stud issue allows the minimum required amount of friction between the rotor face/inner wheel hub face to fail to meet threshold and you lose concentricity.

I also see something on the threads. OP, did you or the installer use anti-seize on the threads? Fodder for another discussion that can go off in a number of different directions and I'm just trying to better understand the conditions in this case. I numbered the studs for discussion purposes but you can clearly see something on stud #2 and evidence of such in the same approximate locations on the remaining studs.

Wheel Stud Failure on 6G.jpg

If my eyes are right, my thoughts lead to what torque figure was used. Anti-seize isn't the best lubricant for this application (scatter) as it can lead to inconsistent and thus inaccurate tension being applied. We don't know the methodology used by the installer, ie, torque figure reduction using X% for friction reduction and/or if that target figure was attained when installed. All we have is a picture.

Of a number of scenarios involving the order of failure I lean towards the following. I could see #2 and #3 failing first. This left $1 and #4 to give it everything they had as they now faced the high bar, with #1 losing the contest and exiting next. This left #4 in a weaker state than #5 so it failed next and in a somewhat different mode than the other failures - more on that in a minute. The last man standing, #5, is no doubt on the verge and I suspect microanalysis would show fractures at a similar thread root location as the others.

As to whether the studs were installed using too high or too low of a torque figure...my sense is the error was made in that there was not enough tension imparted and the failure mode was fatigue (this is where the aforementioned concentricty and friction issue can wreak havoc on the fasteners). Failed wheel studs due to extreme and repeated impact gun use often shear at a near 45* angle or have other characteristics such as "necking" (reduced fastener diameter) whereby the overall length of the fastener increases permanently - they become "plastic" or permanently elongated. If that is indeed anti-seize on the fasteners, one might assume that these may have been overtorqued at some point. Tough to assess that one.

It does look as though the wheel holes were somewhat "oblonged." Look closely.

699768-4ba711e801a388a27b18ba26e2d92351.jpg

Wheel movement under braking/turning due to inadequate preload on the studs meant there was inadequate clamp load. Wheel studs are designed to be under tension and without shear (a force applied 90* to the stud axis in this case). Studs #2 and #3 show cyclical loading. It looks as if the preload was low as you see on both a large area that is flat and bright as the shear forces dominated and caused abrasion, creating the smooth face. You can see ratchet marks as well (radial arcs on the smooth surface) which indicate high stress concentrations. Stud #4 looks to have started to fail in similar fashion and then with roughly 50% left it failed in tension rapidly and just ripped right off. I suspect this is when the driver really noticed this while driving. Thank God for stud #5, it may have saved a life.

ON EDIT - OP, I would pay very close attention the hardware on the remaining three wheel/hub/stud assemblies. As in removal, vigorous cleaning and inspection. You may have another failure right around the corner if the conditions regarding hardware choice and install were the same.
Wow thank you. You must be a scientist ? Thatā€™s pretty cool thatā€™s a lot of insight and detail. He torqued all of them to 150 all new lug nuts. The front wheels lugs were so tight the battery powered wrench couldnā€™t break them loose he had to use the air gun. Iā€™m going to go talk to the manager at that location they need to be torquing these lug nuts properly. Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t crash and Iā€™m glad that the car didnā€™t get damaged on and off that flat bed with just a single lug nut. The tire was sticking out completely crooked I thought it was going break off.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
You must be a scientist ?
Yup. A thousand words to say 100. šŸ˜„ while we're all guessing, my money is on wheel wasn't mounted flush and flat.

My local mechanic did something similar stupid. Left old centering ring on hub and put another on top that was in the wheel. Crushed both and wheel obviously out of round.

You can see the second ridge in the centering ring. And we know the 6gr are bored to mustang hub size.

I'm not a scientist but I did drive by a Motel 6 on my way to get gas.
Sponsored

Last edited: