neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Black EB owner, love the color but as usual it's a pain to keep clean. If it rains, I may as well plan to wash it again. However, I have a really hard time getting rid of water spots even after a wash.

Can you guys share your tips/tricks and what you use to get rid of them?

Sponsored

WatchSquid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
93 Reef Blue Mustang convertible
My best defense with a black car was a good offense ...

Keeping a good coat of wax/polish on is paramount, and making sure it is dry after washing prevents the spots.

Once they get there, usually just a light wax will get rid of them, if detailer doesn't do it. There is a bit of something in the wax that causes them to come off.

Hopefully they are not bad enough to require polish or buffing.

350sexZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 50yr ww 6spd -2014 explorer sport
Wash, clay, polish, seal or wax and you shouldn't have to worry, just wipe of.

mvp90805

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race red mustang GT premium
clay the area

Sponsored

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Best way to avoid water spots on a black car in FL is one of two things:

1) Wash at night. Wait for the sun to start going down, and make sure your car is cool to the touch. So now that there is daylight later in the day you may want to start around 8pm, just make sure the sun is setting.

2) After washing, when your all dried up, follow up with a Quick Detail spray, like the one you get from a claybar kit. I use Optimum no rinse, you can mix it as a higher concentration and use it as a clay lube.

I'f I am going somewhere at night and have to have my Stang clean, meaning washing during the day, there's going to be water spots, no matter what, and I use one of the best waxes for water beading off the car (Collinite 845). In the sun on a black car it's unavoidable. So after washing, drying and everything, I pull her into the garage and go over the car with my Optimum no rinse (again any Quick Detailer will work, you can pick some up anywhere, but I love the optimum stuff) and a microfiber rag and basically re-wash the car. This get's all those new water stains off.

Stangalang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12gt
Following up with the quick detail spray is a must for me. I have had water and spots are inevitable. The spray removes them!

OP
OP
neodark

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Thanks, specially the FL specific tips. I think that's been the biggest mistake. Washing the car while it's still sunny/hot, which causes the water to evaporate quickly, leaving residue.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Hard water is your enemy. ;) If you are getting spots right away that's likely the cause. Wash small areas and dry right away. You may also want to look into some of the waterless wash products.

WatchSquid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
93 Reef Blue Mustang convertible
That is like using a nuke on a fly.

Overkill to the max.

Most of the time spots will come up easily, you can use clay or some wax.

Hard water is your enemy. ;) If you are getting spots right away that's likely the cause. Wash small areas and dry right away. You may also want to look into some of the waterless wash products.
If you are doing this at home (washing) and getting spots. Check into a filter to go on your water supply (hose).

Sponsored

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Yep. My first wash on this car was at home with hard water... ended up looking worse than when I started. I put in a soft water bib the next day... literally.
You could also purchase a pop up shade structure - like the ones people use to watch their kids play soccer. This would give you a little more time to dry if you don't have a garage.

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
On a new car all you need is Menzerna f4000 or F4500 and that will remove the water spots and make the finish better than new, it will jewel the finish. It is also safe and will not harm your finish. If your car was a little older and you had some spots that were a little more set in then you would need menzerna 2500-3000 and a dual action polisher. Follow up with menzerna power lock sealant and the paint will be as slick as is possible. This will also prevent water spotting in the future and will last 4-6 months. If you want to add a layer of depth and protection, top it with collinite 915(or 845 if you want a faster application). I just did this to my wifes 4runner and it looks literally much better than brand new. Menzerna is the best i have tried, its what Mercedes Benz uses on the factory floor to do paint corrections.
www.thedetailedimage.com has menzerna @ 30% off right now use promo code MenzernaPPC30 at checkout.

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
My town has super hard water, when the car is dry after washing you might have as well slung jeez all over the car its that bad. This is my first black car so I am going to have to look into the waterless washing products or some kind of wax. I would like that product Nissan came up with....some spray they put on and its basically repels any kind of dirt/water and it just flies off the car when it hits it.

EngineerDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, 401A + Extras, 98 F-250LD
On a new car all you need is Menzerna f4000 or F4500 and that will remove the water spots and make the finish better than new, it will jewel the finish. It is also safe and will not harm your finish. If your car was a little older and you had some spots that were a little more set in then you would need menzerna 2500-3000 and a dual action polisher. Follow up with menzerna power lock sealant and the paint will be as slick as is possible. This will also prevent water spotting in the future and will last 4-6 months. If you want to add a layer of depth and protection, top it with collinite 915(or 845 if you want a faster application). I just did this to my wifes 4runner and it looks literally much better than brand new. Menzerna is the best i have tried, its what Mercedes Benz uses on the factory floor to do paint corrections.
www.thedetailedimage.com has menzerna @ 30% off right now use promo code MenzernaPPC30 at checkout.
He means http://www.detailedimage.com/ The other is some fashion blog.

Magic550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Corvette Z06
Vinegar works best. Easily removes water stains. I use it every time.
Sponsored