HELP! Rear Subframe bolt Cross Threaded

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
So for whatever reason, one of the big blue bolts on the rear subframe cross threaded. I'm really screwed since I can't put anything back together and the frame sure as hell can't be replaced. Anyone know what I can do at this point? I'm trying to find the thread pitch of the bolt so I can try and find a tap kit asn save it. NOT a place I want to be worrying about bolts coing loose. FML
Sponsored

GilSilcox

Gil
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Mustang
I did the same thing. It's a 14mm2.0. I picked up a tap set from harbor freight and it worked like a charm. Just take your time and spray it with lubricant a lot. I thought I would need to helicoil it but was able to tap it.

Hopefully you have the same results. Good luck
Gil

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I tried Anti Seize on my shock bolt I almost fked up,it was a little cross threaded and
the Anti Seize for some reason worked (old time trick)
Or youll need a tap...

I hate the way new cars have threads in the frame this way and not a nut and bolt
config

OP
OP
RockStang

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
I did the same thing. It's a 14mm2.0. I picked up a tap set from harbor freight and it worked like a charm. Just take your time and spray it with lubricant a lot. I thought I would need to helicoil it but was able to tap it.

Hopefully you have the same results. Good luck
Gil

Thanks so much. You're a life saver. I made it to Harbor freight 5 min before they closed. I only saw the expensive titanium set that had the right size.

GilSilcox

Gil
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Mustang
:cheers: That's the same one I picked up. Hopefully we never need to use it again. Expensive lesson for me but you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette. :doh: Luckily it ended working for me and hopefully you have the same results

Sponsored

OP
OP
RockStang

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
It worked perfectly. Was a little worried but the bolt torqued down fine. That was a show trying to torque those bolts from under the car with my little 18" torque wrench(also from Harbor Freight) lol. What a day. I did the rear lower, Steeda IRS support frame, Vertical link, Subframe support bushing kit, and alignment kit. Only got the drivers side done because it was fighting me the whole way.

Again, big Thanks to [MENTION=19643]GilSilcox[/MENTION]. Your timing was spot on today.

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I had the same thing happen to me. i felt like an idiot. I was able to get the bolt in using PB blaster and the stock bolt.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
You can't crossthread a bolt if you start it by hand, RULE #1, and when you do put a wrench on it and it get's "tight" much too soon...STOP and reverse.

"so for whatever reason..."

always always always...OPERATOR ERROR.

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
You can't crossthread a bolt if you start it by hand, RULE #1, and when you do put a wrench on it and it get's "tight" much too soon...STOP and reverse.

"so for whatever reason..."

always always always...OPERATOR ERROR.
I appreciate the advise but everyone makes mistakes from time to time when they are in a hurry.

GilSilcox

Gil
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Mustang
Almost all make mistakes in life that can be attributed to operator error. It's the people in our lives who get us through them that matter most. That's why I'm thankful we have a community where everyone tries to help the next guy learn from there mistakes.

I've had my share of stripped bolts and broken parts. :headbonk: Finding others who have gone through the same issues and giving great advise to get out of said jam makes being a part of a community worth it :cheers:

Sponsored

jdoug

Regular Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
Discovered that one of my rear subframe bolts was cross-threaded after Steeda installed my subframe bushing spacers. When I took the bolts off to install differential bushings, needless to say I was quite peeved. Managed to slowly work a new OEM bolt back into the hole since the bolt is supposedly designed to cut its own threads as it goes in. Seemed to torque down just fine.

OP
OP
RockStang

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
So deja vu for me today. I'm on my second S550 doing the alignment kit and wouldn't you know it, THE SAME BOLT HOLE has an issue again. Last time it was the first one I put the alignment kit in and this time, it was the last. Still the alignment is so far off that no amount of prying will get it to where it needs to be and the bolt hole is a little stripped again. Doesn't appear to be bad enough that I even need to re-tap it this time. Sorry but I don't believe in coincidences like that. That's a clear indication that something is a miss in the rear of these cars. Something wasn't engineered properly or the frame or subframe isn't 100% the way it should be. I don't know how much the Steeda alignment kit really does, but it is absolutely not worth the trouble on this platform. It shouldn't take 2 days of fighting with 2 different cars to get such a small part put on.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I had mine apart and saw those thread cutting tips on the bolts and thought man that could make it easy to get in trouble.

Armen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Vert
I did the same thing with the one of the rear sway bar bolts. Tap fixed it up quick and then I magically stopped sweating.
Sponsored