Sponsored

Help please, bonnet vent flew off on Motorway!

Cati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 get v8 ucl mag grey & e93 m3 cp
If you are talking about my pics, the front bond did take. If you look at the pic, you can see the faded paint where the bond was, its the middle one that didn't take.

The fact is, the bond thats been used should work, its the same stuff that spoilers, side skirts and all sorts are held on with. but I think there are a few things going on here causing the failures. These have been installed by people like modurstang and my body shop, who I would recommend to anyone.

I think that the hood takes a hammering once the vent is cut out and the top skin is aloud to vibrate and can be pressed when washing etc. I intend packing out between the two skins of the hood to stop this.

We are also looking to pack out between the hood and the vent and bond over a larger area.

They wont come off again....if they do, I will buy a US or aftermarket hood!
Ok so the middle one didn't take... It strikes me that it needs a good key, even with vibration it should still hold.. is it the amount of wax on the hoods so body cleaner might help. If the glue used hold on spoilers etc it should be able to withstand the aerodynamic forces.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so the middle one didn't take... It strikes me that it needs a good key, even with vibration it should still hold.. is it the amount of wax on the hoods so body cleaner might help. If the glue used hold on spoilers etc it should be able to withstand the aerodynamic forces.
From speaking to Mike, he thinks it's that air goes up the front of the hood and catches underneath the corner lips which slowly causes them to lift up (as air cuts through them). You've then got all the air in the engine bay, and being an EB with all that extra room i have no idea how mine haven't shot off into the high heavens yet :lol:. In the engine bay forcing them upwards. So it could be all manner of things conjoining.

As with all "new solutions" everything needs refinement. :lol:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
My passanger air vent started to come loose on the way to Silverstone, bravely tracked her and drove her home (Albeit me and [MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION] didn't even break 77mph lol). Drove only gentle like a granddad recently waiting for some custom clip backets to come in which mount to the vent and to the inner hood liner. Seems to hold them down much better. These are from Michael Scott (not Mike from Modurstang)

Spoke to Mike about the Vents to let him know they were peeling. He's going to peel them both off, restick them both down, and then stick them from the inside and refit the make shift clips that are mounted in. Should be a more permanent solution. The mounting block Tom (Ex Modurstang guy) made, make it so the vents are no longer functional, and are instead just looks, so it's swings and roundabouts for what you "want". If it's just looks, I'm sure they can fit the mounting block, if it's looks and function, then I think it's worth looking into getting some metla brackets made up and fitted to the car, keeps them in place, stops them flying off into other cars etc, adds a bit of security.

For what it's worth, Mike gets a +1 from me for this, because, he's offered to fit me in to fit my schedule so whenever I can get down there for a restick jobbie :)

Greg C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Convertible
My passanger air vent started to come loose on the way to Silverstone, bravely tracked her and drove her home (Albeit me and [MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION] didn't even break 77mph lol). Drove only gentle like a granddad recently waiting for some custom clip backets to come in which mount to the vent and to the inner hood liner. Seems to hold them down much better. These are from Michael Scott (not Mike from Modurstang)

Spoke to Mike about the Vents to let him know they were peeling. He's going to peel them both off, restick them both down, and then stick them from the inside and refit the make shift clips that are mounted in. Should be a more permanent solution. The mounting block Tom (Ex Modurstang guy) made, make it so the vents are no longer functional, and are instead just looks, so it's swings and roundabouts for what you "want". If it's just looks, I'm sure they can fit the mounting block, if it's looks and function, then I think it's worth looking into getting some metla brackets made up and fitted to the car, keeps them in place, stops them flying off into other cars etc, adds a bit of security.

For what it's worth, Mike gets a +1 from me for this, because, he's offered to fit me in to fit my schedule so whenever I can get down there for a restick jobbie :)
When there are other mods for Modurstang Mike to do, I may also go down the re sticking route as well (already mounted the brackets from Michael Scott :)) I have just added a bit of Tiger Seal tonight around the opening you can can see under the hood & a bit round the edge on the top. Will see how it holds up as do not fancy taking the vents out myself.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
When there are other mods for Modurstang Mike to do, I may also go down the re sticking route as well (already mounted the brackets from Michael Scott :)) I have just added a bit of Tiger Seal tonight around the opening you can can see under the hood & a bit round the edge on the top. Will see how it holds up as do not fancy taking the vents out myself.
I'll just let him do it all lol :lol:! I have no mods that i'd need Mike to do... unless it's gear box swap or engine swap :lol:
Sponsored