Help p0017 after OPG install

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I just finished up my OPG and timing gear install and now I am getting p0017 code. It triggers the code after I start the care a couple of times. When I clear it it goes away for a while until I restart the car a couple of times.
Sponsored

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Sounds like you may have to open it up and check your timing chains again. I had a P0016 code and went back in to check my timing. Ended up removing the cam phasers and check the timing on those too for both side. Then check the timing chains and closed her back up. No issues since I checked.

Did you do anything with the cam phasers? Double check the timing chains and follow Ford's manual on the timing? Remember to rotate the crank one full turn before moving onto the right (passenger side)? Is your engine idling rough (mines did with the code, you can feel and kinda see the whole car rock back and forth)?

OP
OP

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
What did you change on yours when you took it back apart? I followed the instructions. I installed lh with links lined up and crank at 5. Turned one full turn back to 5. Then went to 12. Installed right side chain with links lined up. I wonder if a piece of debris is in the sensor or the pin got messed up when I installed timing cover. It does middle rough for a second when you first start it then it smoothes out. Are the cam phasers the tings on each cam? I didn't mess with those.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
My error was the timing being off. I installed a MMR tension bracket and had to remove the cam phasers. Somewhere there and the timing chains got messed up for me. So When I opened it up, I followed Ford Manual for cam phaser timing and then I did the timing chains with the crank. Sound like you did the crank timing right. It probably is the timing pins that you may want to check. I remember Ford Manual said to make sure they were pushed in before closing the timing cover so that it doesn't get damaged. May need to open the valve cover and check the pins from there (I think you can see it with just the valve cover off). Other thing I would check is all the electrical plugs seated all the way in. There are a lot of plugs to plug back in and sometimes, its easy to miss one that appears to be in , but is actually hanging off a little.

Most likely your timing is off and you will to check anyways. It sucks major balls to open it up again (been there) and to check the timing again. I ended up triple checking all my timing and that somehow corrected my issue. The P0017 and P0016 are similar codes and I am not sure if one is for the crank and the other for the cams, but they work hand in hand to determine your timing.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Some pictures for reference of the cams and the timing that I triple checked on:

Sponsored

OP
OP

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Mine looked just like that and I didn't mess with the chains on the the two cams. I think I must have damaged the sensor when I put the cover on. Damn I really don't want to pull it back apart not knowing what is wrong.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Mine looked just like that and I didn't mess with the chains on the the two cams. I think I must have damaged the sensor when I put the cover on. Damn I really don't want to pull it back apart not knowing what is wrong.
May be able to just pull the valve covers off and see if the pins are sticking out right. I don't know much about the pins, but if they look damaged, then you know what you need to do form there. Your timing cover will have to come off for the fix, but double check those plugs before starting the tear down again. I accidentally had a wire sealed inside the driver side valve cover and didn't know until the next day of closing the engine up. The night before, I decided to at lease close up the timing cover and valve covers and guess it was too dark to notice that a wire got caught inside lol.

Hopefully someone on here may have another solution for you and good luck!

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Another thing, did you line up the chain links on the driver side with the L mark and the passenger side with the R mark? I almost missed that part on my install.

OP
OP

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Yes I lined them up that way and I pulled them apart that way. I would think it would throw a code for the intake and exhaust on that same side if the timing were off since the two cams are attached and i didn't separate them.

Ngtmare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Prem GTPP
Sounds like the timing is off. MMR did a timing video
Hate to say it, but you'll probably have to crack it open again.

Sponsored
OP
OP

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I just don't see how the timing is off since I know the links were lined up with the marks and I followed the directions.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
A P0017 is a crankshaft position code. Did you try a crank relearn?

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
With a scanner you could watch the crank sensor data and see if the signal is intermittent. If not then the timing must be off somehow.