Sponsored

Help on an interesting look/wear for rear brake rotors

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
I think I need a second opinion. on this situation I have with the rear rotors on my 2012 Boss 302. I have never personally seen rotors looking like this. So I already ordered new pads all around (the stock packs leave a lot to be desired) but these rear rotors make me wonder if they need replacement or what? Anybody can help me explain how they could have possibly ended up looking like this? There are no grooves or deep scores or anything like that in them as you can see, just the 3 colors out of which none is the normal clean rotor one (they have less that 6000 miles on them).

Thanks!

IMG_1441.jpeg

IMG_1440.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
That’s not anything to be concerned with. Just turn the rotors when you do the new pads. I’ve had rears look very similar, and front in some cases as well. Almost always with oem pads. I’ve come to the conclusion that the pad material is inconsistent in some cases. That’s just an educated guess.

OP
OP

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
That’s not anything to be concerned with. Just turn the rotors when you do the new pads. I’ve had rears look very similar, and front in some cases as well. Almost always with oem pads. I’ve come to the conclusion that the pad material is inconsistent in some cases. That’s just an educated guess.
Thanks! Fronts look perfect but I am still getting pads all around. There seems to be a lot of debate about turning rotors apparently :) Coming from mostly European cars where I used to only replace rotors when done and given these have less than 6000 mile on them, do I really need to turn them?

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
Turn them to true them. Heat differences causing coloration.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Cheddar is right. The seating of a new pad on a non true rotor can cause lots of issues. Chatter and shuttering are two big ones. These cars are so easy to get the rotors off it doesn’t make sense not to. Around here it’s about 10$ per and only a couple of hours.

Thanks! Fronts look perfect but I am still getting pads all around. There seems to be a lot of debate about turning rotors apparently :) Coming from mostly European cars where I used to only replace rotors when done and given these have less than 6000 mile on them, do I really need to turn them?

Sponsored

OP
OP

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Thanks guys! I will do it the right way then.

On the topic of the different colors. Heat differences make a lot of sense, But why does that happen? Is the rotor not true or the clamping force on the caliper non uniform? Or the pad compound compromised and not even? BTW, both left and right rears look absolutely the same.

Last edited:

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
Thanks guys! I will do it the right way then.

On the topic of the different colors. Heat differences make a lot of sense, But why does that happen? Is the rotor not true or the clamping force on the caliper non uniform? Or the pad compound compromised and not even? BTW, both left and right rears look absolutely the same.
Puck has brake fluid behind it not machined face. So, brake pad floats and wears based on compound consistency. Not a specific even wear pattern will occur.
Sponsored