Sponsored

Help Needed: Loose Steering After Curb Hit on 2022 Mustang GT

pwnednooblol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT
Hey Mustang crew,

I could use some help with a problem I'm having with my 2022 Mustang GT. So, I accidentally smacked a curb with the passenger side front wheel not too long ago.
The result? A bent rim. Got it patched up and welded, then headed to the dealership. They swapped out the passenger side front strut and did an alignment.

My steering feels loose. I’ve went back and forth to a local alignment spot a bunch of times, but no dice. Alignment's apparently on point, but the handling? Not so much.

I'm scratching my head here. Could it still be something with the patched-up wheel, or did I mess up something else in the suspension? Thinking maybe wheel bearings or something else in the wheel setup got knocked around.

I went ahead and bought and got installed front and rear Steeda Pro Action struts and shocks to have all 4 at the same condition. I only have 20,000 miles on the car.

Any of you ran into this steering weirdness with your Mustang GT? Got any ideas on what might be causing it? I'm all ears for any advice on how to get my ride handling like it used to.

Appreciate any help you can toss my way!

TLDR: I hit a curb with my 2022 Ford Mustang GT, got the passenger side front wheel repaired, replaced the struts, and aligned the wheels.

Still, experiencing loose steering and handling problems. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah you probably have more collision damage to find. Hard to say where, somebody gonna have to get under there and actually look for it.

A better question is “whats a good shop in my area that can help me figure this out”.

OP
OP

pwnednooblol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT
Yeah you probably have more collision damage to find. Hard to say where, somebody gonna have to get under there and actually look for it.

A better question is “whats a good shop in my area that can help me figure this out”.
The dealership went through my insurance for the repairs but they couldn’t find anything else wrong with it.

Do you know if it’s possible to continue that insurance claim through a different mechanic that’s willing to look into this issue further?

Also, do you have any idea/guess what could be wrong with my car?

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
If the steering is loose and all the suspension components are lined up and repaired, I would suspect a problem with the steering rack itself. Maybe it got damaged from the curb hit and the force went thru the tie rod into the rack itself? Or perhaps as you mentioned earlier a wheel bearing.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The dealership went through my insurance for the repairs but they couldn’t find anything else wrong with it.

Do you know if it’s possible to continue that insurance claim through a different mechanic that’s willing to look into this issue further?

Also, do you have any idea/guess what could be wrong with my car?
Yeah a bunch of us could speculate, but thats kind of the most useless waste of time of we can’t actually look at the related suspension and steering parts of your car.

You need a good local shop. Not the dealership. You tried that already. Insurance may cover it but you need to talk to them.

Call the insurance, tell them it isnt fixed yet, find a local place who the local enthusiasts like and file a claim afterwards?

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I would start with the obvious and suggest Wheel hub. Besides that yeah from hits like that the steering rack could be gone.
Sponsored