Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
If a clay bar doesn’t work, I would damp a micro rag with clean acetone and give one stroke wipes. The paint on a mustang is a 2K paint and acetone will not attack it immediately. Most spray can paints will immediately dissolve with acetone.
Stay away from rubber and plastics. Don’t wash it with acetone! Damp rag only.
My daily a BMW, but paints are similar, got almost completely covered in droplets of road marking paint. Took 15min to remove with acetone. Then washed and polished car. Paint remained as new.
Always try a inconspicuous area first .
I backed out of my garage one day and ran over a can of black spray paint that had fallen off the shelf.

While I didn't mind the free undercoating too much, it nevertheless coated the entire right half of the body in fine black mist.

I called my pro detailer, and he suggested lacquer thinner, claiming that that is what pros use in dire situations, and that the 2k clearcoat can withstand it.

But I was too afraid, so after trying Dawn, and then lighter fluid, I tried some Stoner's Tarminator. I'm pretty sure this is the same as Acrisolve that the pros use. It did the trick. I then followed that up with a waterless wash method.

Acetone is the base for most spray paints, but I would never try acetone because I'm pretty sure it will eat the 2k clearcoat.
Sponsored

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
I backed out of my garage one day and ran over a can of black spray paint that had fallen off the shelf.

While I didn't mind the free undercoating too much, it nevertheless coated the entire right half of the body in fine black mist.

I called my pro detailer, and he suggested lacquer thinner, claiming that that is what pros use in dire situations, and that the 2k clearcoat can withstand it.

But I was too afraid, so after trying Dawn, and then lighter fluid, I tried some Stoner's Tarminator. I'm pretty sure this is the same as Acrisolve that the pros use. It did the trick. I then followed that up with a waterless wash method.

Acetone is the base for most spray paints, but I would never try acetone because I'm pretty sure it will eat the 2k clearcoat.
Acetone and thinners are both strong solvents. Acetone is stronger , but it evaporates very fast. So a wipe with a acetone damp microfiber Towel will clean fast and dry fast.

When I tried thinners, it worked but took time to remove the road paint and evaporate off surface. The acetone was fast and flashed off immediately. It did absolutely no damage to the paint.
Fwiw, I did inspect paint magnifying glass and all was perfect.
That was 3 years ago. Car paint still looks new .
Either way, test a hidden area first.

OP
OP
Fyoutoo

Fyoutoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonny
Vehicle(s)
2022 GTP Mag, Active E, Perf, W/ 6 spd

I am with you. I would be terrified to use a distillate on the car. But as I have said before, I came here because I know there are LOT's of people here that have put a ton of work into getting better than new looking paint and finish and that is totally not my strong suit. Luckily I didn't have to use anything more harsh than Mother's or anything more abrasive than a nylon mesh mitt and a bit of elbow grease.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
It stands for Dual Action it is a special polisher design for doing paint corrections and polishing vehicles. The Dual action makes it harder to burn through the clear coat.

Thanks now I have something else I most definitely "need" for Mustang maintenance. LOL

dmcg940

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Premium, 94 Mustang GT
Use a light rubbing compound with a DA. All is not lost, you will still have 2 kids. 🙂
I'd start with polish. Then go to polishing compound. Then to rubbing compound if need be. ALWAYS use the least aggressive product that will get the job done. This is going to be a lot of work, I am afraid, and you may have some work ahead of you to get the remaining swirls out. Depending on budget, a pro detailer could be a better option. Take the money from the kid's college fund.

Sponsored

PVAMT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Deep impact blue / silver stripes, red pinstripes
Vehicle Showcase
I live in NC, land of the Southern pine. I know acetone will take off pine tree sap. My Super Duty F-250 has had this done to remove tree sap many times. The key is as previously mentioned dampen the cloth and use sparingly do not get the rag wringing wet and bathe the car in acetone. You will have to polish and wax the spots you have treated as it will most likely remove any wax or polish on the surface. If all else fails it’s worth a try. I also use it to clean parts before painting when working on jets.
Don’t go too bad on the kid, we all make mistakes. Looking back, I feel sorry for my parents having to raise me. I am sure that I was a handful. My mom once told me that I would be lucky if I made it to 20, and here I am.

OP
OP
Fyoutoo

Fyoutoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonny
Vehicle(s)
2022 GTP Mag, Active E, Perf, W/ 6 spd
This is going to be a lot of work, I am afraid, and you may have some work ahead of you to get the remaining swirls out. Depending on budget, a pro detailer could be a better option. Take the money from the kid's college fund.
If this was done by anyone else I just would have taken it to my detail place and given them a bill, but it was my kid. Once he found out what he had done, the boy took full responsibility for it and fixed it. While I could have come up with better ways to teach him how to take responsibility for screwing up, I am actually proud of how he handled this.

Don’t go too bad on the kid, we all make mistakes. Looking back, I feel sorry for my parents having to raise me. I am sure that I was a handful. My mom once told me that I would be lucky if I made it to 20, and here I am.
He's a good kid, and he stepped up once he realized what he had done and fixed his mistake. All in all I am a lucky dad, by his age I had wrecked one car, rolled a second, & seized the motor on a third... My dad was a saint.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
What is the ‘DA’ that is being referred-to?… thanks.
Thanks, TRAP, good to know in case I ever find myself in a situation needing one.
Thanks now I have something else I most definitely "need" for Mustang maintenance. LOL
Check out my thread on polisher choices, this shows what to buy first and stepping up from there -

Polishing Machine Progression | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com
Sponsored