Sponsored

Help. My '18 Mustang is "spitting" at me !

• Thread starter Deleted member 33561
  • Start date
  • Watchers 6

Deleted member 33561

The sound appears to be coming from the air filter (JLT CAI). It actually sounds like it's saying "spit" without the "I". So more likd "spt" , "spt" every 1 to 2 seconds with some times waiting for 3 or 4 seconds to start again. Anyone have a clue what can cause this?
Sponsored

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Did you opt for the Cobra edition? Otherwise, I haven't a clue.

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Scan the computer for any codes. Also, did the spitting start after you installed the JLT intake?

OP
OP

Deleted member 33561

*Thank you for trying to help. I'm not sure when it started since I don't regularly listen to the engine with the hood open. I can tell you that I just installed a 170 F thermostat and that's when I noticed it. I was running the engine looking for any leaks. I can also tell you I'm not a mechanic of any skills. I lost about 2 quarts of antifreeze and I replaced that. I filled the level up to the "max" line after several short trips. Engine temp seems normal. No check engine light.

bdm219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, 401A, AE, B&O
If you replaced your thermostat yourself, that is the area I would look. Perhaps the noise your are hearing is the antifreeze leaking onto the block or surrounding area. If you filled it correctly when you replaced it, and didn't have air entrapment, then you shouldn't be losing the coolant. Why did you go with a cold thermostat like that?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 33561

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I lost fluid while changing the thermostat. I drove the car to purge the air then filled it to the "max" line. It has not lost fluid after the install.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Park it considerably nose-up, then let it get to operating temperature. Turn the heater on full hot. Maybe it still has a bubble.

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
I find the thermostat change interesting. When I had my 2011 300C, it was common practice on a Hemi to put in a 180 thermostat and change the fan thresh hold to utilize the lower tstat. Since we have had our Mustang, I have yet to come across anyone discussing putting in a lower temp tstat, except this thread.

OP
OP

Deleted member 33561

I did the same thing to my 2015 Scatpack. It came with a 190 F and I changed it to a 180 F. I Supercharged it and heat was a problem. I have a Lund tune and just decided to do it to the Mustang to see what it does. I drove it around town today and when moving above about 30 mph it pretty much settled on 180-181 F (outside temp was 96 today). I think that's normal. It opens earlier (lower temp) but I don't know if it keeps the temp lower than the original thermostat. I never monitored it before. This all gives me something to do. Been retired for a while and can't do things I like to do anymore. So just messing around with the only joy left. I love to drive the car for no reason but the enjoyment.

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
On the Hemi it helped to prevent the ECM from pulling timing when the coolant temp exceeded 205 as best I remembered. I sold my 300C last spring and put the stock tune back in it. The key thing was to adjust the fans so they came on earlier to fully utilize the lower thermostat.

Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
The sound appears to be coming from the air filter (JLT CAI). It actually sounds like it's saying "spit" without the "I". So more likd "spt" , "spt" every 1 to 2 seconds with some times waiting for 3 or 4 seconds to start again. Anyone have a clue what can cause this?
Put your hand on the black plastic cover on the throttle body motor when it does it. A lot of people have had throttle bodies that slap the blade around at idle for some reason, mine does it and it sounds just like you describe. I haven't replaced mine but many have reported replacement gets rid of it.

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Regarding your 170 degree tstat...unless you tune your car and have a way to adjust your fan timing/temp the 170 is a total waste of time. I put one in my '18 (Livernois) along with a step colder set of plugs when the long tubes went on...but I was already tuned for E85. Tracking the car, data logging and watching the readout on my BDX tuner, the 170 degree thermostat made almost no measurable changes to my set up. My car runs between 185 and 190 degrees on the open road. Cylinder head temps did drop a bit and average 195 whereas before they frequently touch 205. I also ditched the stock running pony grill for a much higher flowing RTR grill, that and ditching the active grill shutters probably did more to help keep temps lower than anything else in my opinion, from what I see before and after.

OP
OP

Deleted member 33561

Well as I said before I didn't check the temps before except to make sure they didn't get above the middle of the gauge. Now it looks like it's going to the same spot (analog gauge) and the NGauge indicates around 180 F for the ECT. Yesterday the temp here was 96 F.
By the way. I drove my car some more with the heater on and it appears to have fixed the problem. I did run the car a few minutes right after the install but maybe not enough to complete the purge.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
A lowed t stat can be effective on its own..its not like your ride is parked most of the time...now frequent slow heavy traffic would be a good reason to get fans on earlier.
Sponsored