Help me please: I have suspension mods but still feels meh

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The Mustang is a 'kit' car. If you want good and predictable handling you're looking at ~2 grand in parts to replace the bushings, dampers and add much needed bracing.

Ford could have done a MUCH better job but they chose to ship a 'sporty shaped' 2-seater Taurus sedan. A "sports car" term being applied to the Mustang is 100% marketing lies.
Exactly what I've been saying all along.
You've previously criticized your car for not feeling like another which costs twice as much (a Corvette).
I'm comparing it to a 2008 C6. If that costs twice as much as a 17 mustang I got a great deal.
having spent a reasonable amount of time in Missouri
I come from there also.

Since I'm not chasing points or money I work on having clean smooth laps. I don't need to set the fastest lap. I like all my laps to have the same time. Saves on consumables also.
Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I knew going into this I was going to have to spend some bucks to get the Mustang the way I think it should have been. I was lucky as I got a Ford Racing Track kit used/new (never installed) for $800, sold the OEM PP1 suspension for $500. Also I sold the PP1 wheels for $1100 and bought a more aggressive and more important lighter set of wheels and tires. Some of the other saving grace of this car is I got it so inexpensively due to Covid. I think the Mustang since its inception has always been kind of a kit car/blank canvas at let the end user do what he wants to do to his car. Thats why there is such an aftermarket support for this car.

To be honest the Ford Racing Track kit suspension should have been the base PP1 suspension from the get go. It did wonders for the feel and handling of the car yet is still very civil.

Dave

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I'm comparing it to a 2008 C6. If that costs twice as much as a 17 mustang I got a great deal.
A 2008 C6 was about $50k new (a Z06 was more like $75k, but I'm guessing that's not our comparison point). How much did you pay for your '17?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I got it for 20,000 Had 23,000 miles on it. Bought it fall of 19. I did save enough that upgrading it is not hurting me. I just think I shouldn't have had to.

Dealer was going out of business.

Car does have a accident on the carfax. Minor front passenger side. Lot kid at the dealer spun it out into another car. They showed me pictures of the damage and I took it to a trusted body shop. I was told the repair was done correctly.

The lot had 4 cars left when I bought it. A 1le camaro, hellcat challenger, two others I don't remember.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
To be honest the Ford Racing Track kit suspension should have been the base PP1 suspension from the get go. It did wonders for the feel and handling of the car yet is still very civil.
absolutely. That they shipped the PP1 crap is just reprehensible.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I did a thorough test drive with all 3 of them.

I think the sales man ruined his drawers when I drove the Hellcat.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Car does have a accident on the carfax. Minor front passenger side. Lot kid at the dealer spun it out into another car. They showed me pictures of the damage and I took it to a trusted body shop. I was told the repair was done correctly.
This might be a factor in your handling complaints.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Nope. I drove a new base off the local Ford dealer lot and it handled a crappy as mine did.

And it was the front fender that was hit so if any suspension damage would have been the right front. There is no damage.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
This might be a factor in your handling complaints.
Any issues would have shown up in the alignment. I had it aligned before doing any mods to rule that out.

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. I drove a new base off the local Ford dealer lot and it handled a crappy as mine did.

And it was the front fender that was hit so if any suspension damage would have been the right front. There is no damage.
I still don't get it sure the Base suspension is crap but the PP1 for me is good for consistent lap times though the car have to much bodyroll with the PP1 suspension so I really want coilovers. But besides that I live in a poor country which mean terrible roads and on this the car is perfect. The balance with the minor mods I did is great and you can really have fun in the mountain passes that we have especially because it could handle potholes because of the soft suspension.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I'm looking for a performance pack car to test drive. Seems like the people who say I'm crazy all have PP's.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
you're not crazy, the PP1 blows. On the Ecoboost the PP1 is tolerable, on the GT it's over-taxed.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
The Mustang GT is.......a GT car. And a great one at that for mid-to high $30ks (after ttt) for a new 15-17 PP1 with a V8, RWD, Torsen LSD, premium package, excellent brakes, and a touch of retro flare with an engine turned aluminum dash.

All this blasphemy is entertaining. The PP1 is only a great pair of dampers short of a home run in my book—if Ford can figure out BMW’s chassis dynamics, or Subaru’s new global platform genius, the Mustang would have been unbeatable for cars under $60k.

- Mike

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
All this blasphemy is entertaining. The PP1 is only a great pair of dampers short of a home run in my book—if Ford can figure out BMW’s chassis dynamics, or Subaru’s new global platform genius, the Mustang would have been unbeatable for cars under $60k.

- Mike
Considering that the Mustang uses same suspension and underlying design as the BMW M4 I guess is not that hard for them to do suspension closer to the M4 however we are still back to the topic that this is a GT car and for a GT car the PP1 suspension is super impressive as it's doing good on the race track but also on a mountain road with potholes. I'm sure the M suspension will not be so forgiving over ruff roads.
Sponsored