Sponsored

Help me find an awesome price on a V6 automatic!

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Is that OTD or what?

Texas sales tax is very high (no state income tax). Purchase price on the GT I'm looking at is like 34.
I asked my brother in law, who sells cars in El Paso (right on the state line practically), and sales tax is only assessed in the state of registration. If you don't register it in Texas, then you don't pay (Texas) sales tax. If your home state has sales tax on a car, then it will be assessed at the time you register a brand new vehicle :thumbsup:

P.S. His dealership sells lots of cars to customers in New Mexico and even a few to Mexican customers...
Sponsored

cjj237

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Guard
I asked my brother in law, who sells cars in El Paso (right on the state line practically), and sales tax is only assessed in the state of registration. If you don't register it in Texas, then you don't pay (Texas) sales tax. If your home state has sales tax on a car, then it will be assessed at the time you register a brand new vehicle :thumbsup:

P.S. His dealership sells lots of cars to customers in New Mexico and even a few to Mexican customers...
I thought everything was included at the dealership? He has been quoting me OTD numbers with tax and registration included.

I will likely be registering the car in Texas. They have a one time sales tax and then done. It's not like WV (which would be my other option) where you pay sales tax, then a yearly property tax.

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
In regard to sales tax and registration, koons told me ford requires them to do the registration and collect the tax.

Can't comment on Texas.

-Emt1581

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
I thought everything was included at the dealership? He has been quoting me OTD numbers with tax and registration included.
I would imagine a Houston dealership doesn't make many out-of-state sales...not near many state lines. Don't imagine too many people in Louisiana go to Houston to go car shopping ;)

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
In regard to sales tax and registration, koons told me ford requires them to do the registration and collect the tax.

Can't comment on Texas.

-Emt1581
Ford isn't requiring it at my brother in law's dealership, as they're a GM dealer ;)

EDIT: P.S. I know his dealership can handle the paperwork for registering the vehicle in New Mexico so that you can wrap it (NM State sales tax) into the finance costs...not sure what would happen if you hit them up with an off the wall state!

Sponsored

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford isn't requiring it at my brother in law's dealership, as they're a GM dealer ;)

EDIT: P.S. I know his dealership can handle the paperwork for registering the vehicle in New Mexico so that you can wrap it (NM State sales tax) into the finance costs...not sure what would happen if you hit them up with an off the wall state!
Not sure if ID is needed to buy a car but I wonder if all Ford dealers are able to do all states' registration? If not..."Hello, I'll take this one, here's a cashier's check, and I'll register it when I get back to Honolulu." :thumbsup:

-Emt1581

94and15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GTPP / 94 GT

Can't comment on Texas.

-Emt1581
I know for registering a new vehicle in PA, you need to be an "authorized agent of PennDOT" - which means you need to have registered with the state as a vehicle dealer or a notary within PA. Sales tax would be processed once the vehicle was titled within the state. Ex - If you bought the vehicle in Virginia, you would not pay tax until the vehicle reached PA. You would be given an "in transit" tag and would have 90 days to get the car valid within the state. Not 100% sure how that affects financing.

Not sure how they are collecting tax and tags if they are not a dealer in PA. - maybe somehow through ford. Or is there a Koons dealer in PA?

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know for registering a new vehicle in PA, you need to be an "authorized agent of PennDOT" - which means you need to have registered with the state as a vehicle dealer or a notary within PA. Sales tax would be processed once the vehicle was titled within the state. Ex - If you bought the vehicle in Virginia, you would not pay tax until the vehicle reached PA. You would be given an "in transit" tag and would have 90 days to get the car valid within the state. Not 100% sure how that affects financing.

Not sure how they are collecting tax and tags if they are not a dealer in PA. - maybe somehow through ford. Or is there a Koons dealer in PA?
Hmm...Not sure about how they are claiming I pay everything there. Koons does not have a dealership in PA.

I know a few weeks back I saw a female member here that is a Ford rep. I'm thinking she'd be the one to check in with. Not sure if it's like Gazoo on the Flintstones where you just mention her and she appears or if I have to search around....either way, any help would be great, especially for those of us looking at out of state buys.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Mach3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hmm...Not sure about how they are claiming I pay everything there. Koons does not have a dealership in PA.

I know a few weeks back I saw a female member here that is a Ford rep. I'm thinking she'd be the one to check in with. Not sure if it's like Gazoo on the Flintstones where you just mention her and she appears or if I have to search around....either way, any help would be great, especially for those of us looking at out of state buys.

Thanks

-Emt1581
I think it's Deysha you're looking for. Send a PM:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/member.php?u=7992

Sponsored

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

Thanks
You called, Master? (In my Gazoo voice)

I think it's Deysha you're looking for. Send a PM:
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/member.php?u=7992
Done and done.

Thanks!
I appreciate you contacting me, however I don’t handle sales, guys. You will need to speak with your finance or sales manager at your dealer. They will be in the best position to assist you with this.

Deysha

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You called, Master? (In my Gazoo voice)

I appreciate you contacting me, however I don’t handle sales, guys. You will need to speak with your finance or sales manager at your dealer. They will be in the best position to assist you with this.

Deysha

Thanks for chiming in. :)

I want to hear it from corporate because I'm trying to verify what the (out of state) dealer told me.

Thanks

-Emt1581

OP
OP

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
In the end, my wife got a local dealer to match the out if state deal.

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the end, my wife got a local dealer to match the out if state deal.
Thats my plan as well. But if koons is full of crap I can figure the price according to AAA which I believe is either peanuts or free. Saves me the inflated registration fee.

-Emt1581

OP
OP

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
Koons an Akins is fine, but just be ready to not get top dollar for the trade and you have to trade, and you have to use their financing, which you can refinance later. It's still a good deal overall.
Sponsored