Sponsored

Help! I am not in love with the GT350R Sound!

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
I will admit it, I too miss the sound of my 13 Boss 302, it sounded nasty everywhere in the RPM band. Turn up the volume and enjoy this video.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I keep telling people. This car sounds best when using resonators. When I spec'd my exhaust system, I specifically made sure to have a big ol' set of resonators on it to control the rasp. Sounds so much better (this is catless and in loud mode - so essentially straight piped).

From the outside

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
@honeybadger,

Longtubes? What's the rest of the exhaust on there? Sounds great man.

I agree that there is a small range of rasp with the stock exhaust under load in low RPM. Who drives this car at low RPM though? :)

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I always loved the sound of the exhaust on my GT350 back when I owned it. I left the exhaust completely stock and really never even considered removing the stock GT350 resonators. One option would be adding GT350 resonators to the GT350R.

I'm not sure exactly what noise it is that people refer to as "rasp", but I think the GT350 sound is nearly perfect.

As far as an exotic sound, any equal length headers will help provide a more traditional flat plane crank V8 sound.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
@honeybadger,

I agree that there is a small range of rasp with the stock exhaust under load in low RPM. Who drives this car at low RPM though? :)
Correct. ARH Long tubes, catless mid pipes, their x-pipe, resonators, and then OEM mufflers.

With the R exhaust (or a regular car no resonators), I think the rasp is damn near unbearable. It does pretty well above 4.5k RPM, though. But accelerating from stoplights is just brutal, IMHO.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I'm not sure exactly what noise it is that people refer to as "rasp", but I think the GT350 sound is nearly perfect.
I happen to agree with Hack, but it's all a matter of opinion... everyone's opinion is correct from their viewpoint... it better be!
That is also the beauty of exhaust options; you can make it suit your opinion.
I liked the "R" exhaust better, so I removed my resonators with straight pipe in order to get more "rasp".
The GT350 exhaust sounds like Chewbacca gargling... the GT350R without resonators has more rasp and sounds like Chewbacca gargling after 25 years of chain smoking!

If we didn't have different opinions, we would all be driving, in my opinion, Performance Blue w/white striped resonator deleted GT350's... and we would all be happier, in my opinion.

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
Smoking Causes Lung Cancer,
Heart Disease, Emphysema, And
Chewbacca to Sound Exactly Like
a GT350R.

Last edited:

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
OK, first off, I loved my 2012 Boss 302. I love the idea of a high revving FPC engine. All of this just hits me where I live. I wanted to love the GT350R sound, I really did. But its kinda raspy meh. Is there anything I can do, cat back, on my 2019 R to make it sound better? It doesn't have to be louder, it has to be *better*. Either more American V8 or More Italian exotic, or maybe just less raspy.

Will cat back do it?

Thanks.....
There is a member off one of the groups on FB that installed the new B-Line x-pipe in place of the factory x-pipe on his R. He believes that it reduced some of the rasp.

Interesting to note is that they also offer this x-pipe with a race resonator, although I have not seen anyone install it yet. That might be the perfect option for someone with an R who wants to reduce the rasp. I am actually thinking about getting one for my non-R, as I have the shiftek now.

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 9.07.59 AM.png

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
@honeybadger,

Maybe the ones that blow more than one engine in a row? I joke I joke!

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Maybe the ones that blow more than one engine in a row? I joke I joke!
AAD1AF81-5B65-4822-A974-8B288318C95C.gif

I refreshed two engines! They were fine when I took them out (mostly) šŸ˜¬

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Buying a GT350 and saying you donā€™t like the exhaust note is like picking up Metallicaā€™s ā€œKill ā€˜Em Allā€ and saying you donā€™t like heavy-metal. Geez.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Buying a GT350 and saying you donā€™t like the exhaust note is like picking up Metallicaā€™s ā€œKill ā€˜Em Allā€ and saying you donā€™t like heavy-metal. Geez.
1609904411706.gif

OP
OP

xplotus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Not a all. Buying a GT350R and saying you want it to sound like a Camry is your example above. Buying a GT350R and wanting it to not be anemic and raspy is like picking of Metallica's "Kill "Em All" and finding out the whole album was covered by Nickleback or Poison or some such.

It isn't the loudness that bothers me, it is coming from a Boss, which sounded like a BOSS. The GT350R note needs some help. It isn't terrible, but it isn't 10 out of 10.

I need to get it on my lift and see what I've got.

Bulldogs22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Not a all. Buying a GT350R and saying you want it to sound like a Camry is your example above. Buying a GT350R and wanting it to not be anemic and raspy is like picking of Metallica's "Kill "Em All" and finding out the whole album was covered by Nickleback or Poison or some such.

It isn't the loudness that bothers me, it is coming from a Boss, which sounded like a BOSS. The GT350R note needs some help. It isn't terrible, but it isn't 10 out of 10.

I need to get it on my lift and see what I've got.
The GT350 utilizes a flat plane crank and a different firing order. The sound you are after with the Boss simply will not happen, and this is the reason the GT350 sounds the way it does. You can go the full ARH system with resonators like others have said, but other than this I think you are out of options to truly change the sound besides maybe a magnaflow catback which changes the sound in a bad way to me.
Sponsored