Sponsored

Help! I am not in love with the GT350R Sound!

xplotus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
OK, first off, I loved my 2012 Boss 302. I love the idea of a high revving FPC engine. All of this just hits me where I live. I wanted to love the GT350R sound, I really did. But its kinda raspy meh. Is there anything I can do, cat back, on my 2019 R to make it sound better? It doesn't have to be louder, it has to be *better*. Either more American V8 or More Italian exotic, or maybe just less raspy.

Will cat back do it?

Thanks.....
Sponsored

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
xplotus - 2020 GT350R and 2013 Boss 302 LS owner here! Funny you made this post because when I first got the R, I had similar thoughts! My Boss has the sidepipes wide open and just Borla S-Type axlebacks and I honestly feel like it is one of the best sounding cars I have ever heard, inside and outside the car. I was initially not super happy with the sound of the 350R so I swapped in a Shifteck H-pipe (which picked up an average of 11hp at the wheel on a dyno) but I wasn't happy with some additional rasp it picked up with that setup. So I did a bunch of research and discovered that Borla made some 10" long, 4" diameter round resonators and installed those. Made the sound quite a bit deeper, zero rasp, sounds absolutely excellent inside and outside the car.

But . . . I like to try different things so I got a Shifteck X pipe, installed some even shorter 7" resonators and 2.75" 304SS piping from the resonators back and that sounds pretty good, too. I have an LTH 2.75" X pipe incoming and I plan on doing a dyno shootout between these setups at some point. Once you have the factory X pipe cut out, it is very simple to swap H or X pipes in and out.

Here is a pic of the custom H with Borla resonators and the custom X with Amazon resonators. Zero drone with either setup. I may end up selling the H if you are interested.

20201011_183517.jpg

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Your centers look to be different between those two assemblies. No issues with fitment on either?

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Interesting post... I have owned both 2012/2013 B302 variants and yes, I can attest that the burble from those side pipes are like no other.

While I did thoroughly enjoy those cars, I have thoroughly enjoyed both 350R’s I have owned.

While the Hummingbird won’t replicate the sound of the Roadrunner, it does in fact give it a more exotic sound. Rasp is inherent in the FPC setup, I do believe, but that has been toned done by various exhaust mods.

If you do indeed wish it to sound “more exotic”, might I suggest ARH’s full longtube system for the GT350. I have heard no better sounding, non-stock, setup on the 350 to date.

tampasnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Champale do you happen to have any sound clips of either the H or X setups you posted?

I agree the ARH is the sound I want as well, but I wonder if the resonators in the ARH setup is responsible for most of the refined exhaust note. Where maybe adding proper resonators to the factory exhaust could result in a similar sound.

Sponsored

OP
OP

xplotus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Champale, I definitely might be interested! Do those clamp in? Slip fit front and rear?

2 more questions to you guys:

1. I thought the R already had resonators removed(vs Non-R). Or is that the source of the rasp?

2. I've heard something about disabling active sound stuff. Any threads on that? THere was that sound pipe in the Boss that I had delete about 10 minutes into ownership and was the best $10 I ever spent.

Thanks again!

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I came across another forum member who was also recommending the full ARH set up to another 350 owner. Decided to look into it myself as I was interested it what it would sound like. Among others, this is the video I found

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Hey guys - let me try to answer as many questions as possible.

Tob - the rear section of the factory exhaust has a lot of play in it so the alignment of the rear of my custom midsections is pretty inconsequential. You can still align the tips inside the fake tips on the valance by adjusting at the clamps on the midsection.

Tampasnake - I'm sorry but no clips. I have a crummy phone and dont own any other recorders. I will say that the H pipe has a slightly deeper and softer sound inside the car but when I stood outside and had a friend drive off in it, it was shockingly loud in a good way!

xplotus - so the R has no resonators from the factory. It starts at 2.5" then necks down to about 2.3" at the entry to the X then is 2.75" on the backside of the X. The X itself is 45 degree angles and you can just see how the flow is not as straight or smooth as it could be. There is a general consensus that the 2.5" Shiftecks (both x and h) produce some rasp because of the 2.5 vs 2.75 but, again, on back to back dyno pulls, it averaged 11whp gain with a high of 16whp between runs so I dont think the factory X flows as well. They are clamp fits, easy to install and remove once you have cut the factory X out.

If I missed something, please re-ask!

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I can’t say I love the sound of the Shelby exhaust note either. I do like it but have always wished Ford engineers had followed the path of a typical flat crank firing order instead of not and adding weight to the crank. What I’ve always thought and still do is the sound is a close cousin to a Coyote. 3 1/2 years and 21K in I still find myself wishing the Voodoo had the high pitched wail flat crank engines typically are known for.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I have a different perspective on this. I agree the exhaust can be raspy - but that's mainly at lower RPMs. IMO, if you want it to sound a little more exotic, you should drive it like it's a little exotic. Don't load it up at lower RPMs - keep the RPMs up in each gear...that's where it performs the best and that's where it sounds the best.

Sponsored

dps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition; 2021 GTS 4.0
From this forum alone, there has to be tons of resonators deleted off GT350s for those wanting the R sound - sitting in people's garages collecting dust. That would be my first shot. I love the way my GT350 sounds.

TRAC WPN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY16 Gt350Track
If you prefer the less raspy note of the non gt350 there's plenty of cutout resonators around, I have a set but am in Canada so shipping costs

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
I have actually grown to really love the sound of the 350 especially with my current setup. I spend plenty of time in the upper 1/3 of the rev range and it really in incredible sounding. But as I mentioned earlier, I'm a bit of a tinkerer so swapping these midpipes out is fun and not too hard. I'm curious about the LTH X pipe sound so am looking forward to trying it.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
I have the H-pipe. A little deeper and throatier. Still batshit banshee at high RPM but not as raspy.

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
From this forum alone, there has to be tons of resonators deleted off GT350s for those wanting the R sound - sitting in people's garages collecting dust. That would be my first shot. I love the way my GT350 sounds.
This. I've always preferred the sound of the standard GT350 over the R. Probably the cheapest solution as well.
Sponsored