Sponsored

HELP! Euro Headlights installed on 2019 GT - NOT WORKING!

NickBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Hey guys, I need your help here...

I bought a pair of OEM Euro headlights off a 2018+ Mustang GT because I found a good deal on Ebay, they were in perfect condition when I got them, no scratches or damage.
I wanted to get rid of the ugly orange side marker that the US versions have. (And I didn't want to use tint like everyone else)

So I went to install the Euro Headlights today and after plugging them in I checked if they were working.
They were not....
  • Took them off and checked the voltage and wattage printed on the back housing - they were the same.
  • I checked the main headlight connector pins vs the stock headlights and noticed they are different!
  • Also there is an extra connection on the Euro headlight the the stock US version doesn't have.
    Not sure what the heck it is...See pics

I'm pretty frustrated after buying these and taking the bumper off only to find the connection is different and they don't work.

What is the solution here?
Any of you guys from Ford or tech gurus have any ideas how I can get these to work?

Please help, thanks!
Nick

Mustang Headlight example c.png
Mustang Headlight Issue 1.png
Mustang Headlight Issue 2.png
Sponsored

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
Im not sure why you're surprised they are different. The countries have different requirements for lightning.
Your best bet is to see if you can find the service manual with wiring diagrams and go from there.

OP
OP
NickBlack

NickBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Well I'm surprised! Just thought the clear markers were different. Didn't realize the actual lighting and connections would be different too.

Not sure where to get wiring diagram for the Euro Mustang model...

Anyway appreciate the response.

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
Could of told you they would not work, your best bet is to cut the backs off and take your Lighting and fit into the EU ones

OP
OP
NickBlack

NickBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
What do you mean by "cut the backs off" ?

Sponsored

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
The Euro Headlights have in-car headlight leveling. That's why there is a new connector and component where you have circled on the back of the housing.

OP
OP
NickBlack

NickBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Thank you for that info, that helps a lot.
I'll contact Ford parts to see if there is a wire harness and get get so I can use these headlights.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
Whatever you do, DO NOT crack open those housings. You would be better off selling the Euro lights and cracking open your US lights to paint the marker. Been there done that, it was an absolute nightmare. Your best bet is to get a male Euro light connector and a female US light connector to make a pig tail. That way you are not doing irreversible damage to your lights or harness.

OP
OP
NickBlack

NickBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Thank you or your help. I'm not touching the housings, gonna try and find the right connectors through Ford. I'll try the Male Euro and female US connectors.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Hope you get it sorted.........it's definitely worth noting for anyone else thinking about this, both front AND rear Euro lights are NOT plug n play.

Sponsored

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
@NickBlack Did you get it sorted out? I do have US headlights, but they have the connector like shown in your EU spec pix. --> Pictures above are labeled wrongly.

Update: I figured the connector out myself (US head lights):
1...Lo-Beam
3...DRL-Hi
4...Feedback
5...DRL-Lo
8...GND
12...Hi-Beam

Last edited:

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
Just as a side note: the additional connector is for the levelling of the headlights. Something which is not available in US cars. I am pretty sure, you can remove the assembly and replace it with the manual levellers from the original headlights.

Ok and I found an error. The pictures in the first post are marked wrong. The connectors are actually exactly the other way around.
The US version has 6 terminals (as described in my previous post) and the EU version has only 4.

So we would need the wiring diagram of the EU version to figure out the difference.

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
Ok, I guess I solved the puzzle. I found a wiring diagram which is pretty close. So here is my guess about the EU wiring:

4...DRL
8...Gnd
10...Lo-Beam
12...Hi-Beam

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
Actually the wiring is quite different between the US and the EU model. With correct wiring diagrams and up-to-date configuration descriptions, you could make it work.

Gnd, Lo- and Hi-Beam are easy.

DRL is not so easy. I guess you can just wire both DRL wires to the single terminal, but this could raise a DTC or might not work at all. Just using 2 diodes would be another approach. The safe bet would be to decide for one of the DRL wires.

The most difficult one is the feedback wire, the EU version does not deliver. One option would be to connect it to ground (or plus) with a resistor (1k should be fine). Only one version should actually work. The other will raise a DTC.
The better approach is leaving it unconnected and disable the outage detection:
726-27-02 xxx* xxxx xxxx Low Beam outage cfg: 1=outage, 0=no outage

So it is not plug-and-play, but doable.
Sponsored