Sponsored

Help changing front pads/rotors on 17 GT Base brakes

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Any videos/tips on changing out the pads/rotors on a 17 Mustang GT Non PP brakes. The 6 piston calipers are simple to change, but the 4 piston calipers look to be a different set up and want to make sure I don’t miss a step. Thanks!
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Any videos/tips on changing out the pads/rotors on a 17 Mustang GT Non PP brakes. The 6 piston calipers are simple to change, but the 4 piston calipers look to be a different set up and want to make sure I don’t miss a step. Thanks!
Screenshot_2019-08-18-09-07-50.png
Screenshot_2019-08-18-09-08-22.png

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
When you compress the caliper pistons back into their bores, crack the bleed fitting and let the fluid flow through a tube into a separate container. No sense pushing the dirtiest fluid in the system back up into the ABS HCU.

Norm

OP
OP
hossman

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Thanks guys!

OP
OP
hossman

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
On #1 “Remove Brake Pad Spring “ is there a particular way on how to remove it? Do you use a flat head screwdriver to pop it off.

On #2 “Remove Brake Pad Spring Clip” how do you remove it without damaging it?

Sorry for the questions I’ve never done the 4 piston calipers before only the 6 piston calipers and they were a breeze.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
On #1 “Remove Brake Pad Spring “ is there a particular way on how to remove it? Do you use a flat head screwdriver to pop it off.

On #2 “Remove Brake Pad Spring Clip” how do you remove it without damaging it?

Sorry for the questions I’ve never done the 4 piston calipers before only the 6 piston calipers and they were a breeze.
I did this recently for my first time. Just pull the spring out - wearing some gloves helps in case it snap back on you. To remove the pins, use something long and skinny to put in the hole and lightly tap it most of the way through with a hammer. Then use some pliers and graps the end of the pin and yank on it - that's how I did it.

Be aware when you change the pads, there is a LH and RH side pad. I found out after I put two RH side pads on the passenger side only to find out later one of the driver side pads wouldn't fit LOL. So don't be like me.

It's pretty easy. After you remove the pins and anti-rattle clip, compress the pistons back to get clearance to pull the pads and then you're ready to remove the two bolts holding the caliper to the spindle.

Robracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost with performance package
Will a flat head screwdriver work by putting the driver between rotor and pad to retract the pistons?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Will a flat head screwdriver work by putting the driver between rotor and pad to retract the pistons?
It might. I've done it. It works easier using a piston spreader/compressor tool that you can find at any local autozone. You can usually rent them.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
It might. I've done it. It works easier using a piston spreader/compressor tool that you can find at any local autozone. You can usually rent them.
Even easier and cheaper.
Use a c-clamp and one of the OLD brake pads to compress the pistons.

Robracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost with performance package
Even easier and cheaper.
Use a c-clamp and one of the OLD brake pads to compress the pistons.
Thanks, took the calipers off to replace new rotors and pads, had some c-clamps I used on my c5 Vette worked great.
Next question when I put the calipers back on do I put the pads in them or just put the calipers on and install the new pads in from the top?
Sponsored