Sponsored

HELP—Which Used Turbo Kit to Buy

5ohh_kenny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTCS
Option 1- Custom top mount kit(similar placement to on3) with precision bb turbos coming off a race car with a good amount of passes.

PROS:
  • All U.S. material and hand welded in MURICA
  • Vibrant collar clamps on cold side
  • Log style manifolds
  • 62-66 gen 2 bb precision’s
  • Powder coated cold side
  • FULL exhaust included
  • The kit looks beautiful in the engine bay
CONS:
  • Requires ecu and pdu relocation similar to on3(added cost of Armageddon relo kit)
  • Have to tap oil pan(REALLY want to avoid this)
  • No installation instructions
  • Kit is decently well used(I assume well cared for however)
  • Requires a custom ac line to retain ac

Option 2- Base model LPF kit with 62-65 comps
PROS:
  • No oil lines!(no tapping oil pan)
  • Comprehensive instructions
  • No ECU/PDU relocation
  • Less heat in the engine bay(low mount)
  • Kit has very low miles
CONS:
  • Cat back connection pipes not included
  • Lots of silicone couplers, t-bolt clamps, worm clamps
  • Factory manifolds are used(this is very polarizing but I don’t like the idea of using factory manifolds)
Shipped price for both kits is within 200 dollars.
The custom kit will cost another 3-400 for the ECU relo kit. Plus maybe another 100 for the ac line.
The LPF kit will cost another 200 for the cat back connection pipes.

My goals are 700whp on pump right now. Future iterations of the build will see e85 and a fuel system.

This is a super hard decision because I know the custom kit would be better in the long run but would be a PITA to get going. Where as the LPF kit will be easy to get going but might be more maintenance keeping worm clamps tight and worrying about the factory manifolds causing excessive back pressure.
Sponsored

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Getting tubular manifolds isn't much more tbh. Lpf with tubular and be done

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
After dealing with the headache that has come with my kit recently, I vote for the LPF one. Don't ask about my issues because I don't want to trigger the ptsd :crying:

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
After dealing with the headache that has come with my kit recently, I vote for the LPF one. Don't ask about my issues because I don't want to trigger the ptsd :crying:
Wellllllllll, inquiring minds want to know lol

SpaceCityS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have an On3 top mount, and if the custom kit is anything like that it'll be an absolute bitch to get the fitment perfect. Not something you'll want to attempt yourself.

The LPF looks like a nice kit. If I had pulled the trigger on a low mount system, this would have probably been the one. Factory manifolds won't be an issue for your power goals.

Sponsored

StickShiftyFifty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang pp
I bought a used hellion Top mount kit off a member here, I will tell you from someone who was terrified to tap the pan, it really isn't bad at all. As well as I really don't notice a lot of heat soak from the turbos (these cars vent really well)
you also can buy tubular factory style headers but it really wont make a deference IMO. I like the simplicity of there kit. I can probably bring the car back to stock in a day or so.
The only CON is the down pipes, i have to worry about damaging the pipe coming into drive way

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
LPF is 100% the way to go. I'm still using a factory manifold on my passenger side and I'm making north of 1500whp.
If you're only trying to make 700whp the last thing you need to worry about is the stock manifold being a limiting factor. I was pushing over 1000whp with stock manifolds on stock motor. Fastest pass on only 13lbs in my 18 was 8.95 @ 156mph with the stock motor.
Plenty of others have made 1000 if not more using the stock manifolds with the LPF kit.
You can also reach out to them and order new connection pipes for your catback, also new pipes that run from the turbo to the intercooler that only use 2 couplers per side. One from the turbo to the connection pipe and then one from that pipe to the intercooler. I've been running my LPF kit for over a year now and have been 8.0 at 170+ mph now with it.

OP
OP
5ohh_kenny

5ohh_kenny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTCS
Thanks everyone for your input. I’ve decided to go with the LPF kit.
I do have one more question. Will the 6265s be responsive? They seem a bit oversized for my goals.

Mike K.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
I contacted Lpf before ordering my kit. Justin informed not much diff between the 6065 and 6265 turbos, my goals were / are the same as yours hp wise. Seems according to him that they go for a bigger sized turbine for higher power situations (67 and up). So I think you will be fine with a 62 mm compressor and 65 mm turbine

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I contacted Lpf before ordering my kit. Justin informed not much diff between the 6065 and 6265 turbos, my goals were / are the same as yours hp wise. Seems according to him that they go for a bigger sized turbine for higher power situations (67 and up). So I think you will be fine with a 62 mm compressor and 65 mm turbine
What is the power limit he recommended for the 6265s? I might be picking up a set here soon.

Sponsored

Mike K.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
What is the power limit he recommended for the 6265s? I might be picking up a set here soon.
600-1200 after that is when they start doing 67 turbines etc. I actually was considering going 55 compressor so I could spool faster etc and he talked me into the 60mm compressor and 65 mm turbine. I’ll let you know how it goes but still a couple months out at least before install.

reach out to him on Facebook messenger I’m sure he will give you direct answers for your goals.

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
600-1200 after that is when they start doing 67 turbines etc. I actually was considering going 55 compressor so I could spool faster etc and he talked me into the 60mm compressor and 65 mm turbine. I’ll let you know how it goes but still a couple months out at least before install.

reach out to him on Facebook messenger I’m sure he will give you direct answers for your goals.
Ended up buying the 6467s.

There's not a difference in housing size between those and the 6265, and the spool time difference is apparently negligible.

Time to party :sunglasses:

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Thanks everyone for your input. I’ve decided to go with the LPF kit.
I do have one more question. Will the 6265s be responsive? They seem a bit oversized for my goals.
Awesome. Hoping to do the same on my 18 soon.

Mike K.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
Ended up buying the 6467s.

There's not a difference in housing size between those and the 6265, and the spool time difference is apparently negligible.

Time to party :sunglasses:
Damn time for some power ! Look forward to seeing what she puts down

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Damn time for some power ! Look forward to seeing what she puts down
Can't go too crazy with it as I'm still on the stock motor with 38k miles

I'll shoot for around 900 with the current setup. Maybe close in on 1000 if I'm feeling extra risky and the injectors aren't too close to capacity.
Sponsored