Sponsored

exodus.eco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium
I was on the way home from doing a few datalogs on my new tune revisions from pdtuning when heavy smoke began to come out of my exhaust so i pulled over and left my car on and it repeated to smoke for another few minutes. On the way home all of my temps seemed fine and my oil pressure was normal. No codes, everything seemed fine. I turned my car off after about 5 minutes and checked engine codes and got a cylinder 4 misfire code and a misfire on startup code. When it turned on it was a very rough startup and idle was very choppy and slow. Inside the car you could feel the chop too. I turned the car off again and reflashed my accessport back to the original base tune i got through them just to see if it would fix it or run any different. When it started up it was the same. I revved it up very slowly up to 2k to see how it sounded and it sounded somewhat like a truck or a lawnmower or something. You could feel the difference too. It just felt off in general. I let it sit for another 5 minutes and decided to limp it home. I never went past 2k on the way back. The ride back was very rough. I did some research and think it may be a failed coil pack or faulty spark plugs. I am leaning towards coil pack because I just changed my spark plugs to the ngk iridium from tune+ about 5k miles ago. Does anyone have any advice or able to diagnose this issue?
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If it is a coil pack - swap the coil pack with one next to it. If true, the problem should appear on the next cyl, and cyl 4 will be good.

OP
OP

exodus.eco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium
If it is a coil pack - swap the coil pack with one next to it. If true, the problem should appear on the next cyl, and cyl 4 will be good.
Okay thanks for the tip. I’ll try it and will see if it works or not.

OP
OP

exodus.eco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium
Okay thanks for the tip. I’ll try it and will see if it works or not.
Update: Went ahead and checked my cylinder 4 plug and coil pack and everything looked fine. Talked to Ryan at pdtuning and a few other local shops and it seems to be a blown head gasket. Car only has 15k miles on it. Replacement for it is around $1500 -$2k.
Sponsored