Abomination

Abomination

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
No never really did. I did install the entire unit and it does the same thing.

So one work around is to cut the heavy rib off on the inside of the boot, there is no way it fits otherwise. It makes it easier to stretch out after that. On top of that I added quite a bit of dynamat and foam around the shifter and console to try and eliminate the vibration.

Also, Where the reverse lockout slides up and down I found a thicker o-ring. It creates a little more resistance but it canceled alot of it too.

With all that done it got rid of most of it, but its still there.

Amazing they claim no NHV increase.

I actually bought tons of steeda stuff on my old 5.0 back in the day. I went with them for tuning and suspension too. I've been disappointed in everything I've gotten from them so far. The tune set off the check engine even with cats, the suspension (also no added nhv) has a bit of a rattle and had to be slightly modified to fit, and the shifter.
Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Did you ever get a good resolution to this issue? I installed mine on Saturday (part number 555 7316) and now I'm having the exact same issues described in the OP. I'm really wishing I had just bought the entire Tri-Ax unit (555 7317), for the amount of headache the install was for just the lever. If I could return my 555 7316 and use it as credit towards the Tri-Ax kit I'd definitely do it, I think it's worth the extra money looking back.

My biggest gripe is the design change ford made regarding the rubber boot, and the fact that I didn't see this mentioned anywhere in Steeda's documentation or install videos. The listing shows it fitting ALL 2015-2020, and while it does work, it doesn't feel like it really "fits". Both the install videos from CJ Pony and Steeda show the old rubber boot design, no where did I see that Ford had changed that design until I'd already started tearing into it.

Let me know if you ever had any luck eliminating NVH after your install, I'm open to any ideas!
Please contact Jamie Bell at Steeda 954-960-0774 He will be more than happy to go over the install with you.
Just installed one on a 2019 last week with no issues. I advised him today that you will be reaching out.
Thank you, Steeda Tech

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Let me know if I can help assist putting you in contact with him - happy to help!

TJ

Vstang2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Any update on this? I like Steeda and looking at the Tri-ax race for my 19 also

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Anyone have any experience with the steeda full shifter for the 2019 mustangs.

I got one and installed it, quite the job, but it has alot of noise. Sounds like really quick, almost hollow, rattle noise. Its really noticeable when I accelerate from too high of a gear (going slower than I should in 4th gear for example)

The only thing I can think of is that I didn't install the rubber shift boot. It said to stretch it over the square base in the end, but its not remotely possible. Using clamps and two strong guys, it wasn't going. I assumed they changed the design since the shifter came out (ford changed it I mean)

I can't see how that could cause such a high pitched rattle though. Any thoughts?

I have the same hollow rattle on a 17. Never found out what was wrong if anything even after 2 mechanics swore everything looked right. If I grab the reverse collar, the rattle stops so I always thought it was a design issue. I may go MGW one day just to compare.

Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Make sure.
1. The lower O-ring is still in place on the shifter. At times it may slip out on install
2. Make sure the shifter collar is centered evenly with set screws on install
3. On the shifter bracket make sure the Steeda faces rearward towards the back of vehicle.
For further info or questions please reach out to Jamie bell @954-960-0774

Steeda Tech

Last edited:

71Rcode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 6-speed base
I'll be installing one of these next week when it arrives and will report in on my experience/outcome.

Big shout out and thank you to the Steeda team for being so visible and supportive to the members on this site.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be installing one of these next week when it arrives and will report in on my experience/outcome.

Big shout out and thank you to the Steeda team for being so visible and supportive to the members on this site.
As mentioned, don't hesitate to give us a call if you experiencing anything that needs troubleshooting during your install.

Best Regards,

TJ

Vstang2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Hoping the install and review go great. I want the Tri-ax race but no way I'm attempting to install it in my garage on Jack's. I live just over an hour from Steeda in Valdosta and would get it installed at their facility , just like I did my Steeda progressives , active shocks and camber plates!

71Rcode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP 6-speed base
Cool. That's convenient. Let us know what they charge (I like to use these numbers to validate toy spend to my wife ---- like the $800 I saved installing the leather upholstery kit myself). I'll have my car up high on jack stands with blocks under the wheels. It should be a piece of cake.

Sponsored

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord 2005. 2019 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
I have the same hollow rattle on a 17. Never found out what was wrong if anything even after 2 mechanics swore everything looked right. If I grab the reverse collar, the rattle stops so I always thought it was a design issue. I may go MGW one day just to compare.
I have the same/similar rattle on my Steeda Tri-Ax race shifter. I chose the aluminum reverse lockout collar instead of the PVC/plastic one and it rattles like crazy around 30-40 mph and I have to hold the lockout caller.

I called steeda and the support person said that the installation instructions mention about transferring the 'anti rattle washer' part from the original to the new shifter. It does say that:-
10. Slide the spring over the shaft of the shift lever and install the two supplied 4mm x 0.8 set screws into the shift lever. Make sure both are spaced equally in the threaded holes and tighten them down firmly. Then install the white factory plastic anti rattle washer on top of the set screws and the small rubber oring on top of the white anti rattle washer.
Since I did not install it myself, I dont know if my mechanic transferred the said white washer and rubber o-ring onto the new shifter. It would have been nice if Steeda had supplied this with the new shifter to make it more of a pure drop in part instead of porting over some old parts.

Does anyone have the ford part #s / description of this white factory plastic ant-rattle-washer in case I need to buy it from Ford?

Thanks

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I have the same/similar rattle on my Steeda Tri-Ax race shifter. I chose the aluminum reverse lockout collar instead of the PVC/plastic one and it rattles like crazy around 30-40 mph and I have to hold the lockout caller.

I called steeda and the support person said that the installation instructions mention about transferring the 'anti-rattle washer' part from the original to the new shifter. It does say that:-

Since I did not install it myself, I don't know if my mechanic transferred the said white washer and rubber o-ring onto the new shifter. It would have been nice if Steeda had supplied this with the new shifter to make it more of a pure drop-in part instead of porting over some old parts.

Does anyone have the ford part #s / description of this white factory plastic ant-rattle-washer in case I need to buy it from Ford?

Thanks

That white o-ring will make it stop rattling. The shifter alone can also introduce some unwanted noise and vibration. On my 16 and my buddies 14', I used a heavy amount of dynamat and lead sheets around the shifter. I did 5 layers of dynamat and 5 layers of lead sheet, and it became quieter than stock, and the vibration went away. It made a huge difference!

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
This was my 16, to give you an idea of what that looked like.

1628000305314.png

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Thanks - that's the weekend project for me!
It was overkill, but steeda shifter and the dynamat/lead padding turned it into an amazing experience. It became way quieter than stock, less heat, and the shifts felt even more solid.
Sponsored