Sponsored

Heavy feeling clutch after long highway driving. Normal?

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
I've only started noticing this in the last month or so, on my latest long roadtrip.

Here's the symptoms: after driving on the highway non-stop for about 2 hours or more, when getting off at an offramp and clutching in, the clutch feels significantly heavier on the first 2-3 engagements afterwards.

The rest of the time driving around town, starting up in the mornings, short highway trips it feels normal every time. Just after longer highway stints, it feels unusually heavy, like pressing it through molasses. Then it goes right back to normal after pressing it 2-3 times.

Anyone else notice this? It didn't always do this, as I've taken many long road trips in this car and never noticed before. Right around 21k miles now.

Pretty sure it's not in my head, with my left leg going numb or something lol, it's a very noticeable increase in resistance.

Any ideas what could cause such a feeling, if anything?
Sponsored

boogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP Auto
Have the same thing with my 2015 EB.

lilgdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Same thing is happening to me, noticed it at around 8k miles, now getting worse at 13k miles. Ugh, its a new car, shouldn't be having this issue.

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
I've noticed this issue as well. ONLY after one hour plus freeway trips...

Curious to see what this may be.

OP
OP

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
Yeah, I'm mostly curious why it's getting worse than when it only had half the mileage.

I drove it from Indiana to Vermont and back when it had around 7k miles, with looooong highway stretches between touching the clutch and never noticed a thing.

Good to know I suppose that it's not GT specific. Any V6 guys notice anything?

Last edited:

Sponsored

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
My GT also does this on my 1hr drive home from work. I'm guessing is has to do with heat in the clutch line from not using the clutch on long drives. I'll be wrapping my exhaust this weekend to see if it helps that too. I'm mainly wrapping the exhaust due to heat been felt thru the floor board/ trans tunnel. Hopefully it helps.

lilgdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I can rev up my motor to 4500 rpm and drive it around a parking lot for a good 1 minute and the clutch will feel the same way. That would indicate to me related to clutch itself or some component. Difference is, just driving around own I am good, but long trips the clutch will feel wonky as well if the motor spends any time at higher rpm the clutch feels weird as well.

lilgdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Got a appt at the local Ford dealer near my house for this issue. Wanted to get it in the service history in case something is wrong. Will let you all know what they say.

OP
OP

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
Got a appt at the local Ford dealer near my house for this issue. Wanted to get it in the service history in case something is wrong. Will let you all know what they say.
Good luck, definitely let us know what they say! Hopefully you can replicate it for the tech somehow so they don't just think we're crazy :crazy:

Sponsored

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Thanks! Keep us posted!

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
I've noticed this as well. Next week my clutch pedal is stuck to the floor smh. It's at ford now I should find out what's wrong weds. Reading online about what the problem might be. Couple mechanics pointing towards the clutch master cylinder or slave master

lilgdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Well... dealer could not replicate the issue, they did offer that as soon as it happens bring it back and let a tech feel it for themselves. Oh well. I plan to change tranny fluid this week to see if that helps. I changed the rear diff fluid last week and it was gross, gray and brown in color. Looked burnt up and both fill/drain plugs where caked with shavings.

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
Maybe a warning sign. It was my clutch. Had it replaced mcleod RST steel flywheel, clutch line, and new slave cylinder

OP
OP

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
Well... dealer could not replicate the issue, they did offer that as soon as it happens bring it back and let a tech feel it for themselves. ..
How does the dealer think that will work?? lol. As soon as you press the clutch 2-3 times after it happens, it just goes back to normal, so by the time you bring it back to the dealer, it'll feel fine again :crazy:

Did your trick of driving around a lot at 4500rpm for a minute not work?
Sponsored