Sponsored

Heated Steering wheel retrofit for 15-17 completed (Plus 18's and up)

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
So looks like Fuse F37 on the BCM is where the 2018+ ties into for power, so I will go with that to be safe. Shows it still has the same 15A fuse so should be good to do that. Attached helpful diagrams here.

2018 HSWM Diagram.png

2015 BCM Fuses.png

2018 BCM fuses.PNG

2018 HSWM Power.png
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I'm getting ready to do mine too. I think any ignition switched power source should work. I'm going to look through the diagrams to find what will be the closest to tap into.
True. However, best to use a multi-tap so it has its own fused source.

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
True. However, best to use a multi-tap so it has its own fused source.
Should be good to tap into the white wire for F37 since that's what the 2018s do and maintain the same 15A fuse for the entire circuit.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Heated wheel is nice to have. Even in Houston's mild winters a warm wheel is nice to grab onto.

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Alright so I did this swap along with the PP gauges and digital dash. I got everything programmed in Forscan it seems except for the HSWM. I don't even see that module in there. It should automatically recognize the module if wired in properly, correct?

I believe it is wired up correctly, but could be wrong. I was a little confused on the positive and negative CAN connections. One diagram showed the purple is positive and gray is negative and the other diagram showed them flipped. The HSWM diagram shows the purple as negative to connector terminal 3, with the positive being the gray wire on terminal 4. I tried reversing the CAN connections to match the wire diagrams but still cannot get this module to show up. I have to dig into the dash deeper to double check the positive and negative wires and make sure I have everything on the proper ports as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
It should automatically see the hswm if it is connected correctly. Contact forscan and let them know you added the hswm and they may have an update for you which also could be the cause.

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
It should automatically see the hswm if it is connected correctly. Contact forscan and let them know you added the hswm and they may have an update for you which also could be the cause.
Yeah it’s strange. Module is getting power just fine, I’ve reset the modules and re-scanned vehicle multiple times in Forscan (something I saw on F-150 forum when people had similar issue). I can’t start the car yet since I have the engine half apart for my Procharger install right now. I’m not sure if I need to start it to get it to recognize but that’d be odd since it is getting power when in RUN. My heated seats won’t turn on right now and I think that’s because car has to be running for it (probably same for the wheel?)

I dug deeper into my wiring and seems like I had it correct initially though I tried swapping the CAN wires and still not seeing it. I don’t think I have an issue in the clock spring but even if I did I would think just power and CAN is all that is needed to see the HSWM in Forscan.

OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
The heated wheel won’t work in ACC position. Car needs to be running like you say. The hswm should still show up though which is why I’d contact forscan for now.
Before I got mine fully working, I was able to read the module and test it consecutively several time and feel the heat build in the wheel.

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Just for my sanity, can someone please confirm which wire on the CAN test ports should go to which in the HSWM? I believe the purple wire is MSCAN - and the gray is MSCAN +. Matching that up to the HSWM diagram that puts the purple wire to terminal 3 and the gray to terminal 4.

I noticed in the OP that this connector wasn’t mentioned and it wasn’t used on the Fusion write up linked either. So I just manually soldered it in place (what a pain with these tiny wires!).

9CD3B7B6-E715-4CF5-A62F-DBF25C776B2D.jpeg

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Has anyone put this on a car with ACC? What about a convertible? Those are the only variables I can think of that make my application somewhat unique and perhaps limiting what I can do with it. Have a strange feeling maybe the BCM or Gateway cannot handle a new module because the convertibles had several additional modules already.

Sponsored
OP
OP

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
It can be added to your car just the same. Your extra features are not associated with it.

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
It can be added to your car just the same. Your extra features are not associated with it.
I had read somewhere when researching, though not sure it is true, that vehicles with adaptive steering and/or ACC are different in regards to the HSWM. But the wiring diagrams for a 2018 Mustang seem to be all the same so I doubt that applies here.

I did post on the Forscan forum and someone is trying to help me but we aren't getting any solutions yet. I have to buy a license to get support from Forscan so I will do that shortly and see what they can help with.

Yesterday I even hooked up my ammeter to make sure the module was powering up. It did draw 10mA when the car was in RUN so it seems to be doing something at least. I also rewired the CAN to the GPSM wires instead of the diagnostic connector just to see if there was a signal issue there, but still nothing. I double checked all the wiring to the SCCM connector and heated element connector and all looks good and matches up with wiring diagrams. I even powered it up with those two disconnected to see if there was an issue in those components maybe causing problems (like a shorted heating element or something). Still nothing.

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Great call @db252 ! I contacted Forscan support and they promptly responded with a fix! Turns out they hadn’t built in support for HSWM for 2015s, only 2016-17 for some reason. They sent me a test build today and I finally got it working!

Of course when I tucked everything back in I accidentally disconnected the HSWM so when I finally started the car it wasn’t working lol. Then it threw a code for open/short in heating element and I realized I didn’t get the element connector snapped in on the wheel side all the way. I was able to sneak my meter probe to it and snap it in place without removing three wheel, luckily! I was just not having luck with this mod but now, all is well!! :)

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Its funny, being in Colorado I don't even drive my Mustang in the winter, but I really wanted the heated wheel for top-down driving since the sun here makes it really nice for top-down driving but can still be a bit chilly ambient. My hands are always cold so the heated wheel on a convertible on a cooler spring/fall or summer night drive should be sweet!

Thanks for all the help and these tutorials!
Sponsored