Heated / Cooled seats stopped working - no more "click" - can't find the relay

Dannyh1991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Just came accross this thread after noticing my drivers seat (UK model) was having the same issue, buttons light up, no click from the relay and the seat temperature doesn't change.

I pulled the connector but there's no burn or any signs of damage on any connectors.
Sponsored

Carl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Convertible Eco-Boost
Just came accross this thread after noticing my drivers seat (UK model) was having the same issue, buttons light up, no click from the relay and the seat temperature doesn't change.

I pulled the connector but there's no burn or any signs of damage on any connectors.
Exact same thing with my wife's 2017 convertible eco-boost. Driver's seat neither heats nor cools, but dash lights at control switches operate. There are no burn marks at all on connector. I replaced the control module, but that didn't fix anything. Passenger seat heats & cools just fine. Should I go ahead & replace the connector, even though it shows no evidence of burning or shorting of any connector pins? Thanks.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey, could you please take a picture of that connector? Thanks. I have a TED-related code on my driver's side seat, but it still works. The other it didn't work the first cycle, but when I started again, it worked. I want to disconnect all seat module related connectors, inspect terminals, add dielecric grease, and see what happens.

cfletcher

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Conv Ecoboost Premium
I have a 2015 with the same connector issue. Couldn't you just jump the ground wire over the connector with an inline fuse rather than take the whole thing out and replace?

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Feel bad for those having this issue. For those w/the issue but no burned connectors: Have you used Forscan to check for module error codes? Or even a basic OBD II code reader? It would give you an error code that you could look up.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
A regular OBDII reader is not going to read those codes; you need FORScan or a dealer.

On a related note, my car threw a code on the driver's side seatback TED (resistance below threshold), but seems to still be working. Or at least the fan part, since I can clearly hear it. What I just did today, hoping to fix the issue, was to reset both the DSM and DCM-E modules. I also disconnected and reconnected all 4 connectors on that module (under the seat). Couldn't verify if it worked because none of the 4 seat settings (heating and cooling on both seats) worked with just the ignition on, which was surprising. Checked with FORScan and no codes, so hope I didn't screw anything. Will check if my seat throws that code again next time I use the car.

So try resetting both of those modules, and see if it resolves your issues by any chance. Good luck.

MICHPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I took mine to the dealer since I was having the driver side heated seat click off after about 20-30 seconds with no heating and the lights still on, and I had no burnt ground on the module under the passenger seat.

When I restarted the car the cooled seat would work continuously without shutting off in that way.

The dealer tech noted the seat back blower motor read at 20 ohms and they suggested to replace the seat back blower motor, they said the resistance should be between 1-10 ohms.

I disconnected the battery for about a day and then reconnected it and somehow the heated seat works now, but I’m concerned that the part is still faulty and if I don’t replace it then I’ll get a burnt ground in that module like the pictures in this thread.

Has anyone else experienced this?

MICHPP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
A regular OBDII reader is not going to read those codes; you need FORScan or a dealer.

On a related note, my car threw a code on the driver's side seatback TED (resistance below threshold), but seems to still be working. Or at least the fan part, since I can clearly hear it. What I just did today, hoping to fix the issue, was to reset both the DSM and DCM-E modules. I also disconnected and reconnected all 4 connectors on that module (under the seat). Couldn't verify if it worked because none of the 4 seat settings (heating and cooling on both seats) worked with just the ignition on, which was surprising. Checked with FORScan and no codes, so hope I didn't screw anything. Will check if my seat throws that code again next time I use the car.

So try resetting both of those modules, and see if it resolves your issues by any chance. Good luck.
If the part is faulty the codes come back after some time, correct?

I’m wondering if resetting the modules is only a bandaid and the blower is actually faulty or not.

Dannyh1991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Ecoboost
I get the following error code from a basic scanner but have been advised I should look into it a bit further with ford software or FORscan, I also get a click from the relay at first press of the button but then no heat and no clicking off/on after that, no burnt connections.

Starting to get a feeling it could be the back blower from things others have said but want to make sure before I start buying replacements. I think a new blower is ÂŁ120 direct from Ford here.

Screenshot_20201105-121831_Photos.jpg

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I took mine to the dealer since I was having the driver side heated seat click off after about 20-30 seconds with no heating and the lights still on, and I had no burnt ground on the module under the passenger seat.

When I restarted the car the cooled seat would work continuously without shutting off in that way.

The dealer tech noted the seat back blower motor read at 20 ohms and they suggested to replace the seat back blower motor, they said the resistance should be between 1-10 ohms.

I disconnected the battery for about a day and then reconnected it and somehow the heated seat works now, but I’m concerned that the part is still faulty and if I don’t replace it then I’ll get a burnt ground in that module like the pictures in this thread.

Has anyone else experienced this?
What the above tells you is the blower is using/taking more power almost 2 xs to operate.

The blower most likely has internal protection. As in circuit breaker, once hot opens no power, cools closes reconnects .

More power more heat, for the whole circuit, in the end can start burning or melting the insulation of the wiring.

I would suggest bite the bullet replace the blower.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If the part is faulty the codes come back after some time, correct?
Yep. And a module reset wouldn't fix that. After I reset both DSM and SCM-E modules, the code didn't come back after using seat cooling that day. I just came back from a week-long, 2K-mile trip, where I used seat cooling a lot, and it always worked. But haven't checked for that code yet. What I did this time is using the cooling function no more than 15 minutes at a time, so the seatback fan/TED unit doesn't get that hot. If no codes, will continue doing that. If the same code is there, will leave it there this time, and just live with it, since everything is working fine. Will report back when I have a chance to check codes.

The Shape

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
Resurrecting an older thread here, but has anyone who performed the fix with the TSB replacement plug had any further issues over time?
742485EC-3B60-4614-A0E6-EC57BF7659B6.jpeg
3DF4A501-405E-49A8-81A6-DE22FB39C0B9.jpeg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Resurrecting an older thread here, but has anyone who performed the fix with the TSB replacement plug had any further issues over time?
742485EC-3B60-4614-A0E6-EC57BF7659B6.jpeg
3DF4A501-405E-49A8-81A6-DE22FB39C0B9.jpeg
What I’m surprised about is that this is not a safety issue - considering the problem is resulting in an electrical BURN... and that there is not any recalls being issued.

The Shape

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
What I’m surprised about is that this is not a safety issue - considering the problem is resulting in an electrical BURN... and that there is not any recalls being issued.
Agreed!

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
I had it replaced a year ago (January 2020) and so far, no issues.
Sponsored