Heated/Cooled Seats mystery

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
I'm a victim as well in my 2017. Everything worked except my driver seat heater. Looked under my passenger seat...yup mine is wrong. New one came in today. Seat heater works fine now.
20210604_155902.jpg
Sponsored

tapan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tapan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
UPDATE: It was the module. Installed it today and works perfectly. I feel that the fans are even more powerful/louder than before. Tested both sides heat + cool simultaneously and no issues either.

I am surprised and disappointed how widespread this issue is. Unfortunately this happened a year after my bumper to bumper warranty expired.

TOP: Old module | BOTTOM: New module

IMG_0918.jpeg

A huge shoutout to the OP @JohnDoe_5oh for sharing this with us and the impressive diagnosis! Thank you!

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
UPDATE: It was the module. Installed it today and works perfectly. I feel that the fans are even more powerful/louder than before. Tested both sides heat + cool simultaneously and no issues either.

I am surprised and disappointed how widespread this issue is. Unfortunately this happened a few months after my bumper to bumper warranty expired.

: Old module | BOTTOM: New module

IMG_0918.jpeg

A huge shoutout to the OP @JohnDoe_5oh for sharing this with us and the impressive diagnosis! Thank you!
Was everything working normally before the warranty expired? I was under the impression that the wrong module installed during production didn't give full functionality at all, even when the car was rolled off the assembly line.

tapan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tapan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Was everything working normally before the warranty expired? I was under the impression that the wrong module installed during production didn't give full functionality at all, even when the car was rolled off the assembly line.
Everything was working perfectly fine before warranty expired. I have owned my car for just over 4 years (I am the first owner) and didn't experience any issues with the heated/cooled seats.

tapan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tapan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I am not really sure if this could be the culprit but this issue happened a couple of hours after I used the cigarette adapter to power the factory air compressor (tire inflator) for a few minutes. It could be a coincidence or related.

Sponsored

tapan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tapan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
UPDATE # 2:

I replaced the heat/cool seat module after my driver's heated seat stopped working, I don't believe the issue has been resolved completely.

The bottom part of the driver's seat (under the thighs) is working fine, but I am not feeling any heat (or the fan) in the top/back side of the driver's seat. Cooled seat function is working fine. Why would just one side work? Any ideas?

Last edited:

Le Mans

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rene
Vehicle(s)
550 convertible 2015
hello techies,

almost the same problem here. I bought a 2015 convertible v6 for the misses. However, the problem with the heating / cooling is on the passenger side! Driver side works fine. exactly as described before...relay clicks, fan starts blowing, then slows down. Then after 20 sec, click and nothing else no heat. tried reset, activate via Sync, does not work. Then took a picture of the module. This appears to be the "problem" unit with AA no. Then remove the large plug ... it seems that a cable is melted? It was late yesterday I need to look even closer. Could this be due to the wrong module or would repairing the cable be sufficient? Thank you very much for this great forum and your help. grt from Holland

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0708(1).jpg

PHOTO-2022-11-27-10-16-37.jpg

Last edited:

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
I have this same project on my to do list. I have the parts to fix it. I bought everything off amazon, and I do not intend to cut any wires other than the ground to splice into two.

Youd think Ford would have an electrical engineer to calculate load/amperage needs to not melt a connector or a switch etc. This problem goes back to around 07 ish in the trucks and suv's

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
hello techies,

almost the same problem here. I bought a 2015 convertible v6 for the misses. However, the problem with the heating / cooling is on the passenger side! Driver side works fine. exactly as described before...relay clicks, fan starts blowing, then slows down. Then after 20 sec, click and nothing else no heat. tried reset, activate via Sync, does not work. Then took a picture of the module. This appears to be the "problem" unit with AA no. Then remove the large plug ... it seems that a cable is melted? It was late yesterday I need to look even closer. Could this be due to the wrong module or would repairing the cable be sufficient? Thank you very much for this great forum and your help. grt from Holland

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0708(1).jpg

PHOTO-2022-11-27-10-16-37.jpg
Single ground which is not adequate for the load applied. I doubt the unit is shot, or faulty, just the single ground and there needs to be two grounds

Le Mans

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rene
Vehicle(s)
550 convertible 2015
Single ground which is not adequate for the load applied. I doubt the unit is shot, or faulty, just the single ground and there needs to be two grounds
Thx,
where and how do i make an extra ground ?

Sponsored

Le Mans

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rene
Vehicle(s)
550 convertible 2015
thanks man! awesome. Another question, is the extra ground sufficient or should it be replaced together with the new module ( BU5Z-14C724-A). Now the GU5T-14B663-AA is still in it. I read that the new module also controls the cooling fans better, etc.
This thread covers it

Mustang 6 thread

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
thanks man! awesome. Another question, is the extra ground sufficient or should it be replaced together with the new module ( BU5Z-14C724-A). Now the GU5T-14B663-AA is still in it. I read that the new module also controls the cooling fans better, etc.
I cannot answer that. I'm going on the premise the additional ground will be enough.

My seats worked great, until that happened

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
I bought the pigtail AND a Delphi gm plug.

I cut the melted parts and depinned the old plug, cut the ground stripped the wire, soldered the 2 grounds and harness ground, shrink wrapped it and that's that.

No chopping up factory harness.

Le Mans

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rene
Vehicle(s)
550 convertible 2015
thanks, do you have the part numbers for me?
Sponsored