JohnDoe_5oh

JohnDoe_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
My car is at the garage with the same symptoms at the moment. If you can, check the resistance over the heater elements. I think it's a known issue that when they go (and it seems surprisingly common reading up on it) that they pull too much current and disable themselves. My drivers side is doing the same as yours at the moment. I get 10 seconds of fans, 5 seconds of silence, then the fans, then either nothing or the relay click and nothing, with the button still illuminated. It then stops the cooled seats on the drivers side working. The garage have tried to fix it once and failed, once it's done I'll revisit with the solution (and paperwork if I can get it).
Did they tell you what the fix is they’re going to implement?
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Did you guys try to first reset both seat and -E modules? That solve the issue I was having with the driver's side seatback TED (cooling), throwing a soft code about resistance below threshold. Our seats have TWO of those damn things. If there's an issue, there should be a soft code lodged in there, so check with FORScan.

Hey, can you get to the seatback TED without having to undo anything from the factory, like cutting 'C' metal clips, etc? Just curious, in case it gives me grief again. To know if I could replace it myself, leaving the seat looking like factory. When you remove clips, it's very hard even for upholstery shops to leave the seat cover like factory. Thx.

mike3105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 (pre-FL) manual GT
Did they tell you what the fix is they’re going to implement?
Not yet. I'll let you know (1st Feb it's in) when they've fixed it. All they've done so far is fail to fix it and then say it's fixed!

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special

Sponsored

OP
OP
JohnDoe_5oh

JohnDoe_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
does any of this help you? it shows what the dealer did to fix my seat...it was similar to yours. I could hear the relay click on then off in x amount of seconds, dont remember how many seconds, but I'm sure its in some of my posts somewhere.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/drivers-side-heated-seat-not-heating.96157/#post-3045038
Yeah, this is in line with what I think is going on. I’ve disconnected the back motor and it still happens on the lower seat cushion, so I’m replacing that one. Hopefully it’ll be here soon.

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
Very nice write up.

I am going to add this even though it looks like a lot of parts are being swiped out.

I had a '17 EB Premium. I had leaking rear glass, and even though the leak only happened into the trunk, the dealer decided to replace the carpet. So they took out the seats, center console, and I got a brand-new carpet. I noticed that the driver's heated seat stopped working. The symptom was almost identical.

I would press the heat button for driver's seat.
regardless of it being on setting 3,2, or 1,
I initially hear the relay click from the seat, and hear fan.
after 30 seconds, I hear the relay click again, and no fan, nothing, no heat.
At this time the button is still illuminated red.
Pressing the button until red light turns off does not cause relay click.
pressing it on immediately illuminates the button, but no more relay click, no heat

If I wait 5 minutes or so, and try pressing the button, it goes through the same thing.
if I cycle engine, and try presisng the seat heater, it goes through the same thing.

Meanwhile, passenger side heat was working.
The cooling feature worked (as in fan going on, and feeling coolish), but the ventilated seats never worked well anyway.

So I asked my dealer if someone may have forgotten to plug something back in when they replaced my carpet? the way it acted seemed almost like a thermal runaway protection triggering, and waiting 5 min allows it to reset, but if I try to heat the seat again, same problem after 30 seconds.

The dealer took the car (gave me loaner), and I got it back a few days later. There was nothing done on paper, but the seat was working fine now. I wonder, maybe run continuity check on all the wires in the seat harness and harness to the modules (as I am guessing you don't have a disconnected harness)?

OP
OP
JohnDoe_5oh

JohnDoe_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I wonder, maybe run continuity check on all the wires in the seat harness and harness to the modules (as I am guessing you don't have a disconnected harness)?
Yeah. It was one of the first things I tried after verifying the fuses. That led me down the path of the controller module (which houses the relays) and I found it was bad for the drivers side.

I replaced out the drivers side blower motor yesterday, same difference. At this point I’m at a loss. I may have to pay for the diagnostic from Ford. I’m not going to spend anymore chasing ghosts.

OP
OP
JohnDoe_5oh

JohnDoe_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I've started browsing other forums for F150s, explorers, even lincoln, seems like a lot of folks have this issue and it the threads end of falling off. One post I saw is that piqued my interest is that there may be a programming issue. Given that someone at some point disabled the seatbelt chime, I know that something in there has been screwed with.

Another possible programming issue: my car was originally sold in detroit and I've found that a lot of canadians will buy in the states and have them programmed for the metric system, but many times they only change the temperature reporting in the dash and stop there, or they half ass the programming all together instead of correctly programming for celcius and KM (I also noticed in forscan that it gave me the option for fuel display of KM to E or KM per L., but nothing for miles. There is a definite possibility that there is a C to F conversion issue. The issue could be that the seats are trying to turn off at 32, enter the problem, is it 32C or 32F. If the seat thinks in C and the FCIM module thinks in F, then there is definitely an issue and it would explain why it turns off after a short time.

I have an appointment on 1/6 with the local dealership. I'll update then, or if I have any other inspiration.

OP
OP
JohnDoe_5oh

JohnDoe_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Just got the car back today. What a shit show. My car has the GU5T-14B663-AA module installed. On the left is the original that came with the car, that only the passenger side cooling was functional. On the right is the new module, where cooling worked on both seats. Neither module had the functional heated seat. So this at least confirmed that something was wrong with the original module.

IMG_3038.jpg

I get a call yesterday from the ford tech, THE WRONG DAMN MODULE IS INSTALLED. Apparently the 2017 model year was supposed to have module BU5T-14B663-AB. The GU5T module is for F150's, F250's and some lincoln models according to the tech. What. The. F&CK.

So, I begin my search for the correct module. The BU5T module he mentioned has one and only one I can find on the internet, via ebay, used. Not a fan of used. I go to oemfordpart.com, punch in my VIN and it spits out BU5Z-14C724-A as the correct module. So I call the ford tech up, his response "There is only one part for that car, and its the model # i gave you".

So I mull it over and decide something isn't right, that BU5T part he mentioned isn't even available to order anywhere new. I decide to call the parts department. He confirms the BU5Z part number is correct and it superseded the BU5T module which is now discontinued. Great, its ordered. explains why I couldn't find the BU5T module anywhere.

Enter my frustration of buying used cars. Who the hell would have changed that module in the first place? I ordered the new one (via ebay) based on the module that was already installed. I guess thats what I get for trying to save money. I ordered from the oemfordpart site and it was $172, verified by VIN, significantly cheaper than the $753 they wanted to charge me ($450 for parts, $300 for labor on a two minute install)... absolutely insane.

Anyway, I'll update here once the next new module arrives. Heavy sigh.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just got the car back today. What a shit show. My car has the GU5T-14B663-AA module installed. On the left is the original that came with the car, that only the passenger side cooling was functional. On the right is the new module, where cooling worked on both seats. Neither module had the functional heated seat. So this at least confirmed that something was wrong with the original module.

IMG_3038.jpg

I get a call yesterday from the ford tech, THE WRONG DAMN MODULE IS INSTALLED. Apparently the 2017 model year was supposed to have module BU5T-14B663-AB. The GU5T module is for F150's, F250's and some lincoln models according to the tech. What. The. F&CK.

So, I begin my search for the correct module. The BU5T module he mentioned has one and only one I can find on the internet, via ebay, used. Not a fan of used. I go to oemfordpart.com, punch in my VIN and it spits out BU5Z-14C724-A as the correct module. So I call the ford tech up, his response "There is only one part for that car, and its the model # i gave you".

So I mull it over and decide something isn't right, that BU5T part he mentioned isn't even available to order anywhere new. I decide to call the parts department. He confirms the BU5Z part number is correct and it superseded the BU5T module which is now discontinued. Great, its ordered. explains why I couldn't find the BU5T module anywhere.

Enter my frustration of buying used cars. Who the hell would have changed that module in the first place? I ordered the new one (via ebay) based on the module that was already installed. I guess thats what I get for trying to save money. I ordered from the oemfordpart site and it was $172, verified by VIN, significantly cheaper than the $753 they wanted to charge me ($450 for parts, $300 for labor on a two minute install)... absolutely insane.

Anyway, I'll update here once the next new module arrives. Heavy sigh.
Yea that’s strange that the wrong module would even be in the car. Maybe prior owner tried to fix himself and purchase the wrong unit?

Just curious did you try reaching out to Levittown Ford on here for a price comparison? He’s helped many M6G members.

OP
OP
JohnDoe_5oh

JohnDoe_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Yea that’s strange that the wrong module would even be in the car. Maybe prior owner tried to fix himself and purchase the wrong unit?
Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking. Silly me for buying what was already there.

Just curious did you try reaching out to Levittown Ford on here for a price comparison? He’s helped many M6G members.
I haven’t. I didn’t even know about him. I’ll keep that in mind for next time (which I’m sure there will be).

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking. Silly me for buying what was already there.
Call a Ford dealer and give them the VIN to see if a dealership tried a warranty repair for the issue ... maybe a dealership put the wrong module in the car. Their compurter system should be able to find any warranty work records no matter what dealership did a warranty repair.

OP
OP
JohnDoe_5oh

JohnDoe_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Call a Ford dealer and give them the VIN to see if a dealership tried a warranty repair for the issue ... maybe a dealership put the wrong module in the car. Their compurter system should be able to find any warranty work records no matter what dealership did a warranty repair.
Good call, I’ll do that tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

We did get a pretty thorough car fax, would that not be in there?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
We did get a pretty thorough car fax, would that not be in there?
Not sure, but I don't thinks so. Call to the dealer service department to have them run the VIN for any warranty work will say for sure. Wonder if it's possible the wrong one was put in at the factory? It would seem strange that someone would do it themself if the car was under warranty, but it's possible if someone didn't like dealerships.
Sponsored