Heat issues: IAT and CHT on 2016 GT with edelbrock Stage 1

M-Driver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
I have a Mustang GT 2016 automatic with the edelbrock stage 1 kit and a smaller 3" pulley, making 735 hp at the crank. I have an additional oil cooler at the lower grille. I got rid of the rubber lip and the insulation mat at the hood.

I was on a tour in the dolomites (Italy) long winded roads up the mountains with slow 180 turns. After several kilometers I ran into high IAT (140 degrees with 50 degrees outside temperature) and CHT (240 degrees). We were a group of 27 Mustangs so the speed was really moderate (5 - 50 mph).

I plan the next tour in the alpes next month and would be grateful for some suggestions for quick fixes.

I have the following mods on my wish list to address the heat problems on the long run:

- hood vents or other hood (any suggestions?)
- killer chiller for IAT
- ducting (just recently discovered here, looks DIY but would prefer a aftermarket solution)
- I have read about some kind of decoupling for the supercharger but don't remember what it was called.
- not sure if a bigger radiator will help as the speed and the ventilation was very low
- if this all is not enough maybe water/meth just for cooling

Did I miss anything?
Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
blower spacer plates maybe, but i'm not too sure why it would go that high make sure your pump is working well.

OP
OP
M-Driver

M-Driver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
blower spacer plates maybe, but i'm not too sure why it would go that high make sure your pump is working well.
Hm, I noticed some belt slip since going from 3,25" to 3,00" pulley. I ordered the mosaleen's idler pulley to fight the belt slip. That 6 rib just sucks.

OP
OP
M-Driver

M-Driver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015

Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
OP
OP
M-Driver

M-Driver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
I daily that combo, if you over tighten it I can see that.
Good to know, thank you. I will have a look at the logfile after installing the mosaleen idler pulley. If I still see a dip in the boost I will add the griptec.
How do I know how not to over tight the belt.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Good to know, thank you. I will have a look at the logfile after installing the mosaleen idler pulley. If I still see a dip in the boost I will add the griptec.
How do I know how not to over tight the belt.
use the smallest belt that doesn't need to be fought with to get on.
Also griptec is different from that "carbonite" or whatever.
since it doesn't stretch as much you don't need it to be like that to accommodate stretch.

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
The best thing I ever did for cooling was the phenolic spacer between heads and intake. Makes the air/water intercooler so much more efficient by decoupling it from engine heat. I'm not sure if it will fit with the edelbrock (I have an old gen2 whipple), but I highly recommend looking into it.

Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The best thing I ever did for cooling was the phenolic spacer between heads and intake. Makes the air/water intercooler so much more efficient by decoupling it from engine heat. I'm not sure if it will fit with the edelbrock (I have an old gen2 whipple), but I highly recommend looking into it.
yea blower spacer plate, i have harrop

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I can't believe your IAT's got that high with a killer chiller. Are you sure that is functioning properly?

On a side note, I believe I speak for most of us when I express my more than mild jealousy at the thought of running the Dolomites and the Alp's with a group of fellow Mustang enthusiasts... maaan that sounds great!!

OP
OP
M-Driver

M-Driver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
I can't believe your IAT's got that high with a killer chiller. Are you sure that is functioning properly?

On a side note, I believe I speak for most of us when I express my more than mild jealousy at the thought of running the Dolomites and the Alp's with a group of fellow Mustang enthusiasts... maaan that sounds great!!

That list of mods is my wishlist. Haven't done them yet. ;)

Yes, that was a unique and awesome experience and I look forward to my next trip in june with a smaller group of 4 Mustangs. I also have a WhatsApp Group of more than 10 Mustangs around and regularly plan 3-4 hour trips around the Eifel and the Nürburgring is just 45 minutes away from here (Bonn). It's a nice place to live and drive around. No need for a race track or drag strips. :)
Sponsored