wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
How does making people flash to stock a minute before the test then back a minute after make any difference to the environment?
because the guys with hardware changes account for most of the tuned vehicles, THATS what they are after...and we all know you can’t just flash to stock in that configuration.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
because the guys with hardware changes account for most of the tuned vehicles, THATS what they are after...and we all know you can’t just flash to stock in that configuration.
Were those passing otherwise including visual checks? Not familiar with what CA does but assume its extreme.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Were those passing otherwise including visual checks? Not familiar with what CA does but assume its extreme.
I doubt it's all that extreme. They run sniffers, and if you know somebody who's real nice, they might not look so hard underneath to see that your car with 6 cats now only has 2. They might not notice the centrifugal supercharger. They might not notice a bunch of things, depends on where you go.

The point was that if I go rolling in (literally) with my race car, there's no way I'll be able to pass a visual inspection even if I replaced my computer with a stock one. They're looking at keeping people like me off a street, not some dummy with a car full of sub-$100 modifications and stickerszzz on the door.

Not sure why it's a big hot ticket item though, not too many people daily drive their race car, and if you can, if you're dailying it, chances are it's not a race car.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I doubt it's all that extreme. They run sniffers, and if you know somebody who's real nice, they might not look so hard underneath to see that your car with 6 cats now only has 2. They might not notice the centrifugal supercharger. They might not notice a bunch of things, depends on where you go.

The point was that if I go rolling in (literally) with my race car, there's no way I'll be able to pass a visual inspection even if I replaced my computer with a stock one. They're looking at keeping people like me off a street, not some dummy with a car full of sub-$100 modifications and stickerszzz on the door.

Not sure why it's a big hot ticket item though, not too many people daily drive their race car, and if you can, if you're dailying it, chances are it's not a race car.
In Arizona the tests are only at single-purpose govt run facilities. Probably harder to sweet talk thru with a bureaucrat staring over their shoulders.

On the plus side, to not disproportionally affect less affluent motorists, I think they will pass anything on a retest provided you show repair receipts for at least x dollars towards making it pass. I guess participation trophies aren't always bad.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

8GTOKLR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 DHG Bullitt
In CA. The smog people have to see that the ECU is in some form of Readiness state on top of the visual inspection. Also I beleieve new cars do not get smogged for the first 5 year, but who knows in this country of CA.

Our CARB is so dumb they'll have you put the stock tune back on the CARB approved supercharger tune.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
What a mess that page on R&T is. Real estate is crazy in Cali. A basic house in San Jose my son was looking at was $1.3 million. Went up about $300K in the last year. I advised him to rent again and wait. He is an Engineer for GM, and if he stays he may be transferred to a different location. He's now paying $3,500 a month for 3 bedrooms, which is a better deal than the last place. Split with 2 girls.

Sponsored

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
What a mess that page on R&T is. Real estate is crazy in Cali. A basic house in San Jose my son was looking at was $1.3 million. Went up about $300K in the last year. I advised him to rent again and wait. He is an Engineer for GM, and if he stays he may be transferred to a different location. He's now paying $3,500 a month for 3 bedrooms, which is a better deal than the last place. Split with 2 girls.
Was paying 2300 for a one bedroom apartment before I bought my house. Its nuts here.

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

The money you make in silicon valley is pretty damn high. Thats one of the only things keeping me here lol. IT work out in the bay pays an average of 40% higher than the rest of the states.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The money you make in silicon valley is pretty damn high. Thats one of the only things keeping me here lol. IT work out in the bay pays an average of 40% higher than the rest of the states.
but you're also probably paying 40% higher for anything else such as properly/rentals/products or taxes, correct?

Meaning sure Silicon CA annual salary is higher than other States but Cost of Living is too.

It would be like saying someone in NY gets an annual salary of $100k, while the same exact job in FL pays only $70k... but cost of living in each location is averaged out or in some instances "just getting by" based on those salaries. The only way to "win" would be if the NYer moves to FL and retains same $100k salary, but can benefit from the lower Cost of Living in FL (depending on location selected).

It's also like - hey DE doesn't have taxes, but most of DE Isn't paying Silicon CA or NY City salary levels either...

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
but you're also probably paying 40% higher for anything else such as properly/rentals/products or taxes, correct?

Meaning sure Silicon CA annual salary is higher than other States but Cost of Living is too.

It would be like saying someone in NY gets an annual salary of $100k, while the same exact job in FL pays only $70k... but cost of living in each location is averaged out or in some instances "just getting by" based on those salaries. The only way to "win" would be if the NYer moves to FL and retains same $100k salary, but can benefit from the lower Cost of Living in FL (depending on location selected).

It's also like - hey DE doesn't have taxes, but most of DE Isn't paying Silicon CA or NY City salary levels either...
That is true. The big advantage my son has in Cali is not a ton of extra money, but kick ass weather, hiking, biking, and hot rod driving all year long. While most of us in the Midwest/Northeast are putting our cars away from November to March, they are enjoying the same 60-80 degree weather every day. The south doesn't even have that.

Reactions: luc

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Also the prices of this are usually the same around the country (minus groceries).

A TV from Best Buy/Amazon/Walmart is the same price in the middle of nowhere Montana as it is in San Francisco.
Sponsored