Headlight beam deflectors for uk car on vacation in Belgium

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
So me & the Stang are going to lommel in Belgium this weekend for the mustang 1001 event at Uncle Henry’s proving ground.

Do the headlights have a switch to convert RHD to LHD or do i need those god awful beam deflector stickers from halfrauds?

I can’t be the 1st guy to take his Stang into Europe...

My current game plan is making them from insulating tape on the ferry:) at least they can be removed at lommel and recreated at the end of the event
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Just pack some deflectors in case you get stopped but don't fit them. Most people don't bother especially if not going to be doing much night driving

OP
OP
Bullitt66

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Fair play, trip to halfrauds :)

Alfa Male

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
In fairness the xenon headlights on the mustang are so weak you couldn’t dazzle anyone if you tried.

Found myself repeatedly checking they were still on when taking a rare drive in the dark the other day !

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
The facelift cars have LED headlights. I've been over a few times and there are no adjustments available on the car. Beam is pretty flat and I haven't had anybody flash me.

By law cars have to have either manual or automatic levelling these days but obviously that doesn't affect the beam pattern. Mondeo I have with LED headlights has a setting in the menu to adjust for traffic side.

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Modern beam patterns are not angled to the verge like in the old days. Now they point dead ahead and are designed to dazzle everyone. Therefore no need for deflectors any more, just like there is no need to carry a spare set of points and spark plugs.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Having driven at night recently on both sides of the channel the beam is virtually flat and dipped in the centre . The sides illuminate the verges to about 1m height either side so I don't think anything will be required to comply overseas.

Entai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT kona Blue, A10, Magneride, CP 2. Daily Driver
The facelift cars have LED headlights. I've been over a few times and there are no adjustments available on the car. Beam is pretty flat and I haven't had anybody flash me.

By law cars have to have either manual or automatic levelling these days but obviously that doesn't affect the beam pattern. Mondeo I have with LED headlights has a setting in the menu to adjust for traffic side.

There are manual adjustments on the headlight units themselves, you can adjust up and down, and a separate adjuster for left and right, that's on my 2019 GT anyway, I have adjusted them slightly as when i first drove at night I could see that the beams were set in such a way that it was highlighting the windscreen of the cars coming in the opposite direction as I went over bumps etc and the car pitched.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
There are manual adjustments on the headlight units themselves, you can adjust up and down, and a separate adjuster for left and right, that's on my 2019 GT anyway, I have adjusted them slightly as when i first drove at night I could see that the beams were set in such a way that it was highlighting the windscreen of the cars coming in the opposite direction as I went over bumps etc and the car pitched.
That is for static adjustment - they automatically height adjust. That form of adjustment should not be used for overseas travel.

Entai

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT kona Blue, A10, Magneride, CP 2. Daily Driver
That is for static adjustment - they automatically height adjust. That form of adjustment should not be used for overseas travel.

Well all I know is when I first drove the car the lights were aimed, in my opinion, very high and extremely to the right, so shining straight at oncoming cars.

I adjusted them by the "static adjustment" and they now aim nice and low and to the left, yet when the boot is loaded they still aim where they should (same place I aimed them) as the auto level adjustment still works fine, within the limits of the "static adjustment).

I was just mentioning this, as one method, that has been proved to work, and so might help others.

It's literally a 45 second job to adjust, and adjust back after the trip.
Sponsored