Sponsored

Head Rest Too Much Forward Tilt issue: DIY Fix! :o)

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
EDIT 5/8/15: added ‘How To’ on fixing the
Head Rest Too Much Forward Tilt issue

In both the 2015 Mustang and our 2013 Prius, I find the head rests keep my head forward just enough to be annoying. It occurred to me that maybe I might try bending them back a bit. But when I looked closely at them, there is not enough room to grab just above the bend to open that angle slightly (Pic #2 shows no room for pipe bend tool to work. Also, the chrome bars are tubes, not solid. So it may not take much pressure/angle change to kink the 'tube', thus making it structurally weakened.) The reason they are placed forward (obnoxiously IMHO) is to not allow there to be space for whip lash. But for me at 6' tall, they actually hold my head forward.

If you find the head rests in your new Mustang uncomfortable, I hope the following is helpful to you.

Here is how I was able to remove the cover, then slice off ¾” of the upper part of the HR’s styrofoam:

1)
I figured out how to get the interlocking plastic headrest cover connector undone. I stuck a long large screw driver underneath the clip all the way thru to the other side to hold the clip up and exposed. Then I took one smaller screw driver to start separating one end. I left that screw driver to hold the initial opening, then used a 3rd small screw driver to work my way across, prying it open as I went. Try not to damage the smaller side.

2)
The cover is extremely tight at the base. At first you think it cannot come off (but you realize it went ‘on’ ;) ) and just pull harder. Do a little evenly on each side coming off.

3)
Seeing the HR bars and tilt mechanism, I saw there was NO Way I would be able to bend the bars or mess with the ratchet device.
(I was not willing to rip the foam off the metal on the off chance I could alter the ratcheter!)

4)
I felt and marked where my head contacted the head rest, then marked that place. For me, it was pretty close to the top. I decided to pick a point 3.5” from the top to end my cut, coming back out to the front surface there.

5)
1st cut I decided to try removing 3/8” of material from where my head contacted. I measured 3/8” at the top, cut parallel down keeping 3/8” thickness down just past my head contact area, then forced the knife blade towards the front to aim toward my 3.5” lower line to exit the cut. I recommend: a) get your knive(s) really sharp before starting, b) use a thick 8” or longer butcher knife so you are able to force it to turn when you want for a cleaner cut. (It’s all under the padded cover so smooth cuts are not mandatory)…This 3/8” cut left the HR still in contact with my head, but not pushing forward really.

6)
I decided to do a 2nd cut of another 3/8” (3/4” total now) to be sure I had ample room because there is a huge amount of forward adjustment. (and I did NOT want to pull the cover a second time :doh:) This turned out to be perfect because with the cover back on, the HR all the way back, my head did not touch the HR even when I looked fully left or right. When I adjusted it half way forward [5 of it’s 10 clicks], it felt exactly like the factory forward tilt. With five more forward clicks left, there is still enough to push your chin to your chest! ;)

7)
Since the back of my head could sort of feel the top squared off edge, I angle cut the top about ½” at 45º .

8)
When reassembled, the driver’s side now is thinner, but the only way I really noticed it was when I set up the side view camera shot to show this. NOW I was glad that the cover was so damned tight as it still maintains a snug fit on the reduced size HR! :D I’ll probably do the passenger side soon too.
1HdRst, bottom cover-500.jpg
2HR can't bend-500.jpg
3HR, back w-o cover-500.jpg
4HR, front w-o cover-500.jpg
5HR, tape marked-500.jpg
6HR, start cut-500.jpg
7HR, 1st cut-500.jpg
8HR, 1st, top-500.jpg
9HR, 1st, side-500.jpg
10HR, 2nd cut-500.jpg
11HR, trim edge-500.jpg
12HR, done-500.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

pocketchange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Mine move forward and back, essentially pivot around some point in the headrest. Pull them all the way forward (just headrest) and it will ratchet backwards then you can slowly put them in place forward if it is too far.

I guess if all the way back and still in the way your SOL

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mine move forward and back, essentially pivot around some point in the headrest. Pull them all the way forward (just headrest) and it will ratchet backwards then you can slowly put them in place forward if it is too far.

I guess if all the way back and still in the way your SOL
Yes, you got it. I have them set in the SOL setting (all the way back). Our Prius is not adjustable. So when I realized the Mustang's were, I thought very cool. I 'll be able to set it where it fits for me. BUt I immediately realized that all the friggin way back, is just where the Prius ones are... tilting my head forward! :frusty:

Gee, nice to know I have adjustments to move it forward to hold my chin against my chest, should I find driving that way most comfortable ! ! !
:crazy: :rant:

Last edited:

unintelligible

V1, VR, Gear Up!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Premium
Yes, you got it. I have them set in the SOL setting (all the way back). Our Prius is not adjustable. So when I realized the Mustang's were, I thought very cool. I 'll be able to set it where it fits for me. BUt I immediately realized that all the friggin way back, is just where the Prius ones are... tilting my head forward! :frusty:

Gee, nice to know I have adjustments move it forward to hold my chin against my chest, should I find driving that way most comfortable ! ! !
:crazy: :rant:
Out of curiosity, if you set your driving position to how you like it, reach out with your arm and let your arm/wrist/hand rest on the top of the wheel. Where does the wheel lay?

I was taught by the instructors at the BMW Performance Center that the optimal driving position is one that allows you to have the wheel rim fall right in the area of your wrist when the arm is fully extended, and your leg when fully depressed on the brake pedal has a slight bend in it. Anything outside of this driving position is less than optimal, or at the worst, unsafe.

I'm trying to picture in the S550 if my driving position was such that my leg & wrist distance was, but my head was being pressed *forward* by a fully retracted headrest, my backrest incline would have to be at a ridiculous 90 degree angle to get the geometry that way.

When I put myself in the "BMW" driving position I have my headrest tilted forward quite a bit and still have to consciously rest my head back a bit for it to touch the headrest. Maybe some driver seat position tweaks are in store?

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Out of curiosity, if you set your driving position to how you like it, reach out with your arm and let your arm/wrist/hand rest on the top of the wheel. Where does the wheel lay?

I was taught by the instructors at the BMW Performance Center that the optimal driving position is one that allows you to have the wheel rim fall right in the area of your wrist when the arm is fully extended, and your leg when fully depressed on the brake pedal has a slight bend in it. Anything outside of this driving position is less than optimal, or at the worst, unsafe.

I'm trying to picture in the S550 if my driving position was such that my leg & wrist distance was, but my head was being pressed *forward* by a fully retracted headrest, my backrest incline would have to be at a ridiculous 90 degree angle to get the geometry that way.

When I put myself in the "BMW" driving position I have my headrest tilted forward quite a bit and still have to consciously rest my head back a bit for it to touch the headrest. Maybe some driver seat position tweaks are in store?
Thanks for this info. I will definitely check my chosen driving position against the postion you describe. If the Germans are nothing, they ARE exacting! I am part German, but was made even more aware being married to a German woman who had 'just' moved to the U.S. LOL :lol:
After we divorced, I sold the Z 3 and the rest is history.... oh, but I digress (yet again ;))

Sponsored

Waldorf

Old School
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3Y PP
If I can figure out how to get the interlocking plastic headrest cover connector undone, I might see a better way to gain a few degrees of change or at least get more room to get the top above bend into the jaws of a vise to gently and 'just slightly' bend those tubes.
I tried it right after I got my 2011... which are NOT adjustable. Tried it in a press brake at work with a large radius blade. As soon as the slightest amount of pressure was applied, we could see that they would crease, probably causing a fracture. The "fix" for the last 5 years was turning them around, making them totally useless for their intended purpose. But hey... at least they won't break loose and become airborne in a rollover. :D

Apparently, you too don't like driving with your chin in your chest. And no, Budwise, I certainly wouldn't want to try it with a helmet!!!!!

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I tried it right after I got my 2011... which are NOT adjustable. Tried it in a press brake at work with a large radius blade. As soon as the slightest amount of pressure was applied, we could see that they would crease, probably causing a fracture. The "fix" for the last 5 years was turning them around, making them totally useless for their intended purpose. But hey... at least they won't break loose and become airborne in a rollover. :D

Apparently, you too don't like driving with your chin in your chest. And no, Budwise, I certainly wouldn't want to try it with a helmet!!!!!
I did turn the ones in the '13 Prius around, but these have a hook on the back for a coat hanger. Maybe I'll try it anyway.

Thanks for the info on not trying to bend these.

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I did turn the ones in the '13 Prius around, but these have a hook on the back for a coat hanger. Maybe I'll try it anyway.

Thanks for the info on not trying to bend these.
I turned around head rest. Now when you pushback,it just clicks back. not a support in a whiplash situation.

Sponsored

frank bunker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt 5.0
Davekro
Borrow a 3/8 tubing bender and you should be able to bend the tubes a few degrees.

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Davekro
Borrow a 3/8 tubing bender and you should be able to bend the tubes a few degrees.
Frank,
Well hell, I actually own one of those and it never occurred to me to try that! Not sure there will be room, but I WILL check it out. Thanks for the idea.:doh:

gpphantom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT PP AP
Did it work? I too have the same gripe. Hard to believe the forward adjustments would ever be used. It's as if they clocked the starting (unadjusted) position at where the forward most adjusted position should be.

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Did it work? I too have the same gripe. Hard to believe the forward adjustments would ever be used. It's as if they clocked the starting (unadjusted) position at where the forward most adjusted position should be.
My feelings exactly. I have not had time to get into trying to bend mine yet.
I did turn it around, but duh, then when your head would hit it from a whiplash, the headrest just would 'clicks' backward. So that is a no go.
Sponsored