Sponsored

Have you made a "how to" caliper paint thread?

shadowx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt premium 2019
I know Im reviving this but does anyone know how to properly disassemble the rear calipers and prepare them for a shop to powder coating them?

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
I know Im reviving this but does anyone know how to properly disassemble the rear calipers and prepare them for a shop to powder coating them?
I would take them to a mechanic shop. It's sorta a pain in the ass. I tired one time with my old car and I couldn't get the pistons all the way out.

I really think I needed more air pressure to pop them all the way out. I gave up and bought another set and painted them.

BrakeFade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E39 M5, '21 CFTP GT500
Just remove the rotors and then remount the calipers. Clean them with brake cleaner and hit them with a little sand paper. Then brush away with the G2 caliper paint kit. You won’t need to paint inside the caliper and if you’re really stingy with the paint, you can get away with not doing the backside. It’s self leveling paint/epoxy that’s chemical/high heat resistant. I’ve done multiple cars this way and have never had issues with chipping or fading.
Paint caliper kits in the spray can, now that’s a different story. I wouldn’t recommend any of them.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Sand off the Brembo lettering and the flat surface with 400 grit. Then use brown scotch brite on that and the rest of the caliper.

These are anodized from Ford, which makes an excellent substrate (DON'T SAND IT ALL OFF). NO PRIMER NEEDED.Just scuff the anodizing with the brown scotchbrite, don't take it down to bare metal at any point. Cleaning the whole caliper with brake cleaner before and after. Then I take a cloth with laquer thinner and wipe the whole caliper down. Using compressed air to blow it out during the whole process.

I Used VHT High temp red with VHT High temp clear caliper paint

I do 3 coats of red. 1st being a light complete dusting. The 2nd being a light complete coverage. The 3rd being a wet complete coat. DO NOT USE MORE COATS.Make sure that 3rd coat covers.

With the temps in the 90 degree 60% humidity range,I only had to wait about 10 mins between each coat. Wait 30 mins before putting on the Special high temp Brembo sticker (available on Amazon) Take your time and get the sticker straight. Line the R in Brembo up with the center pin at the top of the caliper.then follow up with 2 LIGHT coats of clear Then a 3RD being wet.Let them dry overnight.

Then take them for a drive, easing the caliper temps higher and higher. Over a few different drives.This will bake it on nice and hard without dis-coloration.

Others may do it different. But this has worked for me many times. It holds up well.

Pics don't do them justice. Very bright and glossy.

2019 Mustang GT.jpg

1642800555192.png

Last edited:

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
ull]645872[/ATTACH]
[/QUOTE]
Paint caliper kits in the spray can, now that’s a different story. I wouldn’t recommend any of them.
They are only as good as their prep. Not fond of brush strokes in my finish.
Sponsored