Have you ever broken a defouler?

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
I had a guy keep trying to race me in his BMW M4. He kept egging, so finally, I said screw it and handed him his ass. Well he wasn't satisfied, so he wanted to go again. Again, I handed him his ass. But this time on letting off of the throttle, I had some serious popping and from places that shouldn't have popping sounds coming from.

So, since it's my nature, I thought of the worst things that might have happened and pulled over. It was running fine and the popping was gone. No weird sounds any more. Took it easy for the 15 miles left to go home and parked it in the garage. Like I said before, I immediately think of the worst and figured lets do a compression test and see if it's down on any cylinders. I park in the single bay side and I parked too close to the cabinets to work on the R/H side.

The next AM, which is today, I started it to move it to get clearance to work and when I started it, I had sounds of an exhaust leak. I was thinking oh screw me what else did I F(!K up! Got the car on jacks and hanging on the left side was the downstream l/h side O2 sensor. The J shaped defouler broke at the the area above the hex closest to the exhaust bung. So, that relieved me a bit. Did a compression test and all were within 15lbs 260-275 according to my Mityvac compression tester. I did the test on a cold engine so that any damage should show itself right away (that's what I was told to do). This was a good time to change the plugs, just have to wait on the defouler to come in along with a new O2 sensor. At least I didn't screw anything up that would cost big dollars.

Note: After doing a some research, what I thought to be a Vibrant product, was not. It was a "Vibrant J Style" defouler. What did I learn from this? Read the description carefully of what the onlne seller is listing it as and if it states "style", it's a knockoff. Oh well, it cost me the price of a O2 sensor.

20230105_162700.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I had a guy keep trying to race me in his BMW M4. He kept egging, so finally, I said screw it and handed him his ass. Well he wasn't satisfied, so he wanted to go again. Again, I handed him his ass. But this time on letting off of the throttle, I had some serious popping and from places that shouldn't have popping sounds coming from.

So, since it's my nature, I thought of the worst things that might have happened and pulled over. It was running fine and the popping was gone. No weird sounds any more. Took it easy for the 15 miles left to go home and parked it in the garage. Like I said before, I immediately think of the worst and figured lets do a compression test and see if it's down on any cylinders. I park in the single bay side and I parked too close to the cabinets to work on the R/H side.

The next AM, which is today, I started it to move it to get clearance to work and when I started it, I had sounds of an exhaust leak. I was thinking oh screw me what else did I F(!K up! Got the car on jacks and hanging on the left side was the downstream l/h side O2 sensor. The Vibrant J shaped defouler broke at the the area above the hex closest to the exhaust bung. So, that relieved me a bit. Did a compression test and all were within 15lbs 260-275 according to my Mityvac compression tester. I did the test on a cold engine so that any damage should show itself right away (that's what I was told to do). This was a good time to change the plugs, just have to wait on the defouler to come in along with a new O2 sensor. At least I didn't screw anything up that would cost big dollars.

20230105_162700.jpg
Perhaps it's time to go full 3" to relieve backpressure; probably wouldn't have prevented it but it's an excuse to spend more money.

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Bullitt

The next AM, which is today, I started it to move it to get clearance to work and when I started it, I had sounds of an exhaust leak. I was thinking oh screw me what else did I F(!K up! Got the car on jacks and hanging on the left side was the downstream l/h side O2 sensor. The Vibrant J shaped defouler broke at the the area above the hex closest to the exhaust bung. So, that relieved me a bit. Did a compression test and all were within 15lbs 260-275 according to my Mityvac compression tester. I did the test on a cold engine so that any damage should show itself right away (that's what I was told to do). This was a good time to change the plugs, just have to wait on the defouler to come in along with a new O2 sensor. At least I didn't screw anything up that would cost big dollars.

20230105_162700.jpg

Yes!!! Thats a cheap defouler with zero weld penetration. Same thing happened to me, sourced some real deal Vibrant J defoulers, no worries now.

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

20230105_162700.jpg

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...n-2019-dhg-bullitt.169525/page-5#post-3448383

91gt331sc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt, 2017 mustang gt
Which direction are you guys facing the j bend?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Slopoke

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
Yes!!! Thats a cheap defouler with zero weld penetration. Same thing happened to me, sourced some real deal Vibrant J defoulers, no worries now.

It was a Vibrant Performance defouler.

Note: It was not an actual Vibrant unit. It was a "Vibrant J Style" defouler, or more commonly known as a "Knockoff".

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slopoke

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
Have any more pics of it? I've never seen a Vibrant fail like that.

After some research. It wasn't a true Vibrant unit. It was a Vibrant J Style defouler. Lesson learned, just ordered a pair of Vibrant units from Summit.

OP
OP
Slopoke

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
I got the Vibrant J shaped defoulers from Summit Racing yesterday. I was assuming that the three orifices and snap ring would come with it, you have to purchase the orifice kit separately. Luckily the ones from my knock off fit. One set of three orifices and the snap ring has a MSRP of $12.00. Now I just have to wait for the O2 sensor.

Sponsored

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got the Vibrant J shaped defoulers from Summit Racing yesterday. I was assuming that the three orifices and snap ring would come with it, you have to purchase the orifice kit separately. Luckily the ones from my knock off fit. One set of three orifices and the snap ring has a MSRP of $12.00. Now I just have to wait for the O2 sensor.
Yeah, ever since the EPA Diesel scares, Vibrant got weird with their defoulers. No longer selling it as a true kit. Which sucks.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Yeah, ever since the EPA Diesel scares, Vibrant got weird with their defoulers. No longer selling it as a true kit.
Lots of so called performance exhaust shops soiled their underpants over this.
I have a few friends with shops that won’t touch anything exhaust related but cat back systems.

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Which orifice restrictor are you using of the 3?

OP
OP
Slopoke

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
Which orifice restrictor are you using of the 3?

I've been using the middle size orifice, with no problems in around 10K miles. YMMV.

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
It was a Vibrant Performance defouler.

Note: It was not an actual Vibrant unit. It was a "Vibrant J Style" defouler, or more commonly known as a "Knockoff".
I got hosed on the “style” verbiage as well. The sellers name “Whoosh Racing” should have clued me in and that they were marketed for a Ford Focus down pipe. They were only about $10 cheaper than the real McCoy so it’s not like they were a steal. Thankfully I saw this thread before installing the knockoffs. I’ll eventually sell them with full disclosure on their origin. Maybe they will hold up, maybe they won’t. I’ll never find out. For educational purposes here’s some pics of the real deal and the knockoff including packaging.

256AB794-06D0-49C4-8F65-E444A2A8B2B3.jpeg

EC7016DF-14A6-4141-8B78-525E1C1045A7.jpeg

7848B430-0FC6-450F-AC77-28E3A916BC0B.jpeg

D6447942-5977-4BEB-A90F-5CAB87F651DE.jpeg
Sponsored