Have you bought Tires lately?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
No issue with French work ethic or production quality.
One of my SIL's is from France, won't say anything else......
Sponsored

G8rbcn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 & Audi A5 SB (RIP 2020 Explorer)
I purchased (2) 305/35-19 MPSS back in June. Tire Rack and local dealer did not have them. Randomly found them online at Discount Tire. Received them within 5 days.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Because we already had Pirellis and know better.
I have Pirellis on my GT. They are virtually new (I bought the 2017 GT PP1 last year and the dealer installed them). Between Covid working from home, weather and little mods to the car I haven't driven it a ton. Just a few thousand miles in 1 1/2 years.

However, I've been very pleasantly surprised at how well they are working on the street. Of course, this is on a lowly GT. They seem to have good grip and nice gentle breakaway. Is your objection to them based on track usage? I haven't driven the car in the wet or cold - is that what you don't like about them?

I almost am feeling bad about telling the dealer they never should have put those crappy tires on the car. The car was a little difficult to drive hard with stock suspension, but now that it has the track handling suspension on it I really like it. So I'm wondering if some peoples' problems with the Pirellis are more problems with the soft, sloppy stock PP1 Mustang suspension. With good suspension tuning I think the tires seem pretty decent. Not that I won't probably go to Pilot SS tires once I wear them out, but I'm pretty happy with them.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I have Pirellis on my GT. They are virtually new (I bought the 2017 GT PP1 last year and the dealer installed them). Between Covid working from home, weather and little mods to the car I haven't driven it a ton. Just a few thousand miles in 1 1/2 years.

However, I've been very pleasantly surprised at how well they are working on the street. Of course, this is on a lowly GT. They seem to have good grip and nice gentle breakaway. Is your objection to them based on track usage? I haven't driven the car in the wet or cold - is that what you don't like about them?

I almost am feeling bad about telling the dealer they never should have put those crappy tires on the car. The car was a little difficult to drive hard with stock suspension, but now that it has the track handling suspension on it I really like it. So I'm wondering if some peoples' problems with the Pirellis are more problems with the soft, sloppy stock PP1 Mustang suspension. With good suspension tuning I think the tires seem pretty decent. Not that I won't probably go to Pilot SS tires once I wear them out, but I'm pretty happy with them.
Wet or cold the pirellis on my 2016 GT ( not lowly btw) were like ice skates. Dangerous.

Last edited:

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Wet or cold the pirellis on my 2016 GT ( not lowly btw) we’re like ice skates. Dangerous.
I agree on the Pirelli’s but don’t you think you got to automatically go back to the stock Michelin’s. I have already been asked what I think is a better tire but everybody likes what they like.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Did I miss which tires you prefer?

I agree on the Pirelli’s but don’t you think you got to automatically go back to the stock Michelin’s. I have already been asked what I think is a better tire but everybody likes what they like.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Every industry has figured out, if they limit supply, just because they can, and claim it on covid or other, people will still blindly buy at the bloated pricing.
I am sure the tire industry is no different.
Only have to look at the number of fools that ate 40-50k construction Adjustments to their build instead of , telling the contractor to stop at the foundation, and wait, till prices came back to earth.
Maybe it is me, but if a set of tires is about done in 5 thousand miles, they would not be on my car, other than events I want to have fun and push the car. just cruising around would be a more street friendly ,longer lasting tire set and wheels.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
SIL = Son in law.

My mama said, " if you ain't got nothing good to say......

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
SIL = Son in law.

My mama said, " if you ain't got nothing good to say......
:question: ...................................

Last edited:

Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Did I miss which tires you prefer?
Nope. I am not about to get in one of the “bitch” fests on here. To each his own. How about BF Garbage.

Big Ernie McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Charger Scat Pack, 2013 Silverado
If this helps on how far behind Michelin is, I remembered this being brought up in one of the Facebook groups a couple weeks back. A guy that works at the Alabama plant said they were about 100k tires behind.
F0BEDEC7-C80D-4C16-BB64-BDD80FF67914.png

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
There you go no one wants to work on the line in USA anymore either. No matter there are no material decisions happening anywhere except in France.

In 2018 we shifted all production to MX while engineering was split between USA and MX. Quality way up, lead times way down, costs down 16%.
Doubt, but I am 100% sure those that pushed for the move got a fat bonus.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Nope. I am not about to get in one of the “bitch” fests on here. To each his own. How about BF Garbage.
I legit wanted to know your thoughts though, I actually prefer gy supercar 3's for track, great balance of grip, price and lifespan, but have been very happy with pss for street. I've not tried other street tires though on the 350 as the pss also works on track decently so it's the easy button for street and rain tire combined IMO. I've heard the continental makes a great street/rain as well but haven't ran it yet.

the cup 2's that came with my non-R died too quickly and weren't super fast, but the R cup 2's I tried feel amazing, but likely will die too quick for my cheap mindset to keep buying them. Same with gy 3R, fun but short life.

I like trying things, but also don't want to waste money if what i'm using works well.
Sponsored