Sponsored

Have you blown an engine? If so, what rod (cylinder) failed?

What rod (cylinder) failed on your engine?

• Total voters

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
For what it's worth, the '19 2.3 (Maverick code name) is going to have some significant changes, including the rods. The new rods will be a forged piece that's much more robust.
The current 2.3 already has forged rods, that being said they are thin and powder forged as opposed to a billet forging so any improvement there is welcome. As said above, It doesn't appear the rods have been the problem on this engine but every bit helps!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
To my understanding, the new rods will be similar in design and manufacturing to the Boss 302 rods. I'm still very curious as to the failure point on these engines.

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
seems like we got a hold on our engine failures so to speak ..:ford:

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rsackett78 :eyebulge:

what cylinder did it blow...:headbonk:

So I just had my first experience to the ecoboom situation!! When the engine blew the oil filter broke off at the threads and number 3 cylinder rod went through both sides of the block. I took my car to the dealer and they said that when I changed the oil 600 miles ago, I overtightened the oil filter. They said that it must have cracked the treads and that's why it broke off and they denied the warranty!!!
Has anybody ever heard of this?? I always put the oil filter on hand tight. I can't see myself overtightening it that much to cause the threads to crack.
I'm trying to find out who to contact to help push the warranty through because this is clearly the fault of the engine.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Virge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP Red Race
Can the spark give an indication of an imminent ecoboom?? Smoked ecc..?

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I meant Spark plugs
Yes..

I look at my plugs after every oil change to see what the carbon build up is in and on the plug electrode.. I have notice over the miles I drive that the more I mod the more I look.. if by chance the plug can not clean because of out of heat range it could go . I have to say the proof is in the spark mate..

Notice when on meth it keeps the spark in the best heat range for me with 14rrys and high boost 28 down too 25 the silver tip burns way better than any other plug and tried all the mentioned pugs ....

So keep in the right heat range and learn to read lean or rich fueling mixture and we're
you buy fuel .mate :ford:

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
:cheers: So were all good past the 30000 mile threshold.
My recently reacquired 2016 EB w/PP was very stout and I racked almost 37k on it... I never had any issues that some folks post about regarding the EcoBoost engine, it’s performance or reliability. I never even touched the factory installed spark plugs, never had any “catch can”, always ran 89 octane and changed the oil every 5k. I also never had any issues when making the car accelerate into a lower gear from 6th (6R80) - the car just downshifted and pulled hard all the time - no detonation, pings etc.

The EB engine in my prior 2016 was very strong, too bad the rest of the car had issues....

Sponsored

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My recently reacquired 2016 EB w/PP was very stout and I racked almost 37k on it... I never had any issues that some folks post about regarding the EcoBoost engine, it’s performance or reliability. I never even touched the factory installed spark plugs, never had any “catch can”, always ran 89 octane and changed the oil every 5k. I also never had any issues when making the car accelerate into a lower gear from 6th (6R80) - the car just downshifted and pulled hard all the time - no detonation, pings etc.

The EB engine in my prior 2016 was very strong, too bad the rest of the car had issues....
Stating a fact in a good way

Fully moded and 450 whp 430 torque still going strong,and pushing factory block to about 85 percent at the moment.:ford:

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have several connections at Ford, in both Dearborn and Cleveland. It's nothing that's been published yet, but I'm sure it will as some point soon. If I could send some pics without getting anyone in trouble, I would but I don't want to risk someone's job for that. I will say that the rods are going to be different, the oiling system, cylinder head, and some other minor changes, like the intake manifold.
So Juben, any guess on what the upgraded engine will be good for(i.e safe) =400 hp?

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So Juben, any guess on what the upgraded engine will be good for(i.e safe) =400 hp?
I thought they were already in the Cleveland built motor s mate ,because this motor I run should of blown by now
According too the funny book group. Lol.

I have stock forged connection rods on my block when I ported my head I pulled the pan BSD they were..:ford:

So I'm all good for 1000 HP. L.o.L 600hp i will see.

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tune plus does again..

Never thought I would say it but I have joined the ranks of the Ecobooms. It let go last night while rolling on the throttle at about 75mph on the freeway. Much noise, smoke, oil and bits bouncing under the car was to be had by all behind me.

Towed to a local Ford dealer but they're saying it will be at least a week before they can even pop the hood to look at it because their so busy and maybe a month or two to repair.

After several searches, I'm just not seeing much in the way of what the "Out the door" replacement cost is from the dealer will be. Given that they are going to be a week plus to look at it, I would like to know what my options are and maybe have it taken elsewhere since I doubt they will warranty it.

I see Livrnois has a Street Series Shortblock for $3700 and Ford has a fully built 2.3L crate engine for $5500-$6200, but I don't know how many hrs would go into the rebuild.

NO NOT MY ENGINE..edited for others

My block is stock block is bad ass

No boom and stock internal so moderator someone hacked my account I still have my Cleveland block 550whp and 430 torque going strong if some want to know

Last edited:

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
I would sell my new Esslinger engine for what ive got in it if anyone is interested, its a full build, sleeved, welded block, ported head, built to take as much power as you can give it. I think ive got about 9k in it, its sitting on the floor ready to go, they even broke it in on the dyno. PM me if anyone is interested.
Sponsored