Sponsored

Have you blown an engine? If so, what rod (cylinder) failed?

What rod (cylinder) failed on your engine?

• Total voters

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
I just want to point out @millennial Mohammad was known to do stupid things like donuts which instantly discounts any credibility as we all know doing donuts could easily destroy any motor that's not equipped for it.
Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
I just want to point out @millennial Mohammad was known to do stupid things like donuts which instantly discounts any credibility as we all know doing donuts could easily destroy any motor that's not equipped for it.
That's just because he is a dumb a ss that goes along with every vendors hype.

Totally agree.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
I chose the Ford Performance Calibartion because my car is a daily and it allows me to be covered under warranty. I'll stick with it until the warranty is up at which point I will switch to Livernois 91 but with ALL of the safeties listed above such as only running 93 octane (octane buffer), oil cooler (already have), LSPI rated oil (switching to in the next change), OE plugs (still running), PP radiator, inter cooler (already have) and a 99% efficient synthetic media filter (already have from Ford Performance). Beyond that if something fails I don't think it's my doing, but just a limitation of my particular engine.

[MENTION=25093]TheLion[/MENTION] thanks for a great analysis, as always it's very informative and useful to read your posts.

One question: shouldn't an oil catch can be included in the above list? I mean this will prevent trace amounts of oil from entering the cylinder and lowering fuel octane, thus creating knock. I 've read several analysis saying that an oil catch can + an intercooler should be the first mods on these cars.

Woodshop77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
[MENTION=25093]TheLion[/MENTION]
Any thoughts on secondary wave reaction caused by the BS?

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
[MENTION=25093]TheLion[/MENTION] thanks for a great analysis, as always it's very informative and useful to read your posts.

One question: shouldn't an oil catch can be included in the above list? I mean this will prevent trace amounts of oil from entering the cylinder and lowering fuel octane, thus creating knock. I 've read several analysis saying that an oil catch can + an intercooler should be the first mods on these cars.
Do you really believe that some so called oil vaipor is really going to reduce the octane percentage in any substantial form just because of some fictitious hype these vendors write up to sell a a tin can that traps condensation ?

Sponsored

ecoboosting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Ecoboost PP

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
Do you really believe that some so called oil vaipor is really going to reduce the octane percentage in any substantial form just because of some fictitious hype these vendors write up to sell a a tin can that traps condensation ?
Not trying to be smart ass but you could also say "do you think the mist of water injection really matters?"
Now, I never ran catch cans on any of my turbo cars, but I think I might with small turbo DI one.
Depending on the blow-by amounts its probably hard to say, but with small turbo and high boost, these engines are under boost a lot of time.

I guess putting one on dyno and pulling the breather hose off and measuring/seeing amount.
For sure its not going to help with octane, only hinder by some amount.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I filled up that morning my engine blew but I was on e30
I would imagine that E30 is not immune to some type of contamination that could lower the octane enough to cause some negative impact.

I guess the only way to prove gas is a significant factor is for someone to have their gas tested to determine the octane present in the tank.

What is the expected behavior for an E30 tuned engine running 87, 91, E10, E20?

Woodshop77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
Mag - You should have added fuel type to your poll if you are really trying to prove that point.
There has to be something else going on to cause the kind of failures that are going on. I think [MENTION=13694]Juben[/MENTION] is more on the right track with his thoughts on the #3 failure.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mag - You should have added fuel type to your poll if you are really trying to prove that point.
There has to be something else going on to cause the kind of failures that are going on. I think [MENTION=13694]Juben[/MENTION] is more on the right track with his thoughts on the #3 failure.

Fuel alone is not causing these failures, I thought I made that clear already. Octane appears to be a major contributor, along with a tune from some tuners, to the forces that cause these types of failures so we are all on the same page as far as what low octane and a tuned engine brings to the table. LSPI, pre ignition, detonation, super knock, etc can be.triggered by low octane and/or other conditions.

The last 4 failures, including you, all filled up just prior to the event. If you don't think there is a correlation that is fine, but we know low octane can cause these types of events and we are seeing a correlation between these events, same day as filling up the engine goes boom. Not 3 days later but same day event. I am sure not all have blown up in the same day as filling up as not all events are caused by the same factors but it is highly suspicious behavoir and discounting low octane shows your lack of troubleshooting acumen.

The number #3 failures points to a weakness in the design, a tune increases pressure, and low octane may trigger an event that detonates the engine. It all adds up and makes sense. We know that all cars don't blow up from bad gas or all cars that filled up with the same gas would go boom. All engines are.not failing on #3 either but there is a big enough difference so far to see a pattern emerging.

Please share your theory with the class that shows low octane is not a contributor to the events instead of just saying you don't think low octane is a catalyst.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Woodshop77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
I was just trying shore up your point. The chance that everyone is using the same type of fuel although slim would be awesome if it could be proven. But everyone running into a bad batch of gas, the failures are all over the place....thats all i'm sayin

I think there is an issue with the secondary wave caused by the balance shaft and it causes the ring gear to fail on the crankshaft....

The block I originally had already has 4+ revisions....I don't think Ford planned ahead for the forces it gets with tunes & add-ons

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was just trying shore up your point. The chance that everyone is using the same type of fuel although slim would be awesome if it could be proven. But everyone running into a bad batch of gas, the failures are all over the place....thats all i'm sayin

I think there is an issue with the secondary wave caused by the balance shaft and it causes the ring gear to fail on the crankshaft....

The block I originally had already has 4+ revisions....I don't think Ford planned ahead for the forces it gets with tunes & add-ons
Who can argue with that impeccable logic. Why don't you fill us in on the significance of the block versions, the differences, and why the older blocks are defective and the v5 is superior?

This idea that a block has significantly changed 5 times while in production is pretty unbelievable.

Woodshop77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
Info on that is on this site. The part numbers have changed. There are pics on here showing the differences...

Fridge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Manual w/PP
Maybe you're right Brian it may just be a scam. I just installed a catch can a month ago, during the install I was removing the intake and noticed the fins on the turbo were covered in oil. :/ I disconnected my hot side intercooler piping and oil started leaking from the piping onto the floor. I haven't removed the intercooler to check how much is in but I bet if I turned that thing sideways oil would drain out also. I should've taken pictures so y'all could see what it looks like to not run a catch can for almost 32,000 miles. I guess I got lucky and my engine didn't blow but can't say having ounces of oil chilling in your intercooler piping and turbo is a good thing. Anyway just wanted to share my experience. I drain my catch can every 500 miles and I get a bout two shot glasses worth of oil/gas.

Woodshop77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
mag- Look up YOUR OWN POST bagging on Adam..
"Adam telling people all EB engines prior to 5/15 are problematic"

Has the info right there.... page 2

Oh sorry is "on Gen 5"
Sponsored