Sponsored

Have you blown an engine? If so, what rod (cylinder) failed?

What rod (cylinder) failed on your engine?

• Total voters

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Are you lot on this forum dense or do I have to spell things out >MAXIMUM 5%< doesn't mean 5%. usually means if you get to 5% then there's a problem. I'm also talking for the Mustang not all EBM. if theres 7m and 5% (350k) blow, then you've got CALS and Recalls.
Put me in the "dense" column, because it seems to me there would be a "problem" (recalls and lawsuits) LONG before you get to a 5% failure rate. Some 400,000 Ford trucks were sold with the 3.5L ecoboost and less than 100 complaints--for poor acceleration, not blown engines--prompted a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration investigation. That's around .02%, over an order of magitude less than your estimate of .5% for the ecoboost Mustang.
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Put me in the "dense" column, because it seems to me there would be a "problem" (recalls and lawsuits) LONG before you get to a 5% failure rate. Some 400,000 Ford trucks were sold with the 3.5L ecoboost and less than 100 complaints--for poor acceleration, not blown engines--prompted a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration investigation. That's around .02%, over an order of magitude less than your estimate of .5% for the ecoboost Mustang.
Im saying 5% without a forced recall and shit. like, by the time it got to 350k they'd be screwed. :lol:

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Brisks rr14ys for the win..:first:
The NGKs are equally good. I don't think they are different from the Brisks rr14ys. They are both one step colder spark plugs. :shrug:

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
I leave statistics to you guys! But if we can gather data from different countries (that's why Europe is the ideal place), then we can have a general idea about the percentage of blown engines. I mean we can get data from the UK, Germany, The Netherlands, Belgium, France, Italy, etc. These countries are smaller than the US and it might be easier to get this information. For example we know that 4 engines have blown in Belgium, out of 2000 EBs sold there.

We can do a quick research in our FB group Mustang Europe to see if people have anything to share about that.

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
The NGKs are equally good. I don't think they are different from the Brisks rr14ys. They are both one step colder spark plugs. :shrug:
Silver is a better conductor than iridium the faster I can fire the more boost can run the ECU on these motors can tell how much timing to run . I would give them a try mate..

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I'd use the RR14S. I've used both and the 14S has always been the better performer.

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd use the RR14S. I've used both and the 14S has always been the better performer.
Projective tip or non projective there both great plugs only one I will run is the one the car likes try both I did and rr14ys is what my car likes with ethanol and meth this works for me, now if on gas yes rr14s would be good non projective I would use for the extra insurance of lspi on pump gas.:first:

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I could post screenshots of the owners of the cars (themselves in 1st person) making the posts on Facebook about it, but I'm not going to put someone's name, profile, etc., out there on the internet for Ford and everyone else to see. For those of you interested in fact checking, join the Ford EcoBoost Mustang group on Facebook and search 'blown'. It's super easy to do and you'll find all of the data and information that your heart desires. I know one of the (3) failures reported on there recently was a stock car with (0) mods, and I believe one of the others might have been as well.

In any event, ThunderHorse, it's interesting to me that you've had (2) stock failures on #3. What did the dealerships determine the cause to be, if any? I still think it has something to do with the design and setup of the BS assembly and it's method of operation.
"screen shoot the tuner" free information is what we are doing here keep others out of the loop for warrantee purposes some folks are putting poison in these engines we need to spit it out {come on people spit it out } :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Last edited:

Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
Do you have any way to get specific data from those four individuals?
Well, as I wrote in post #342 above, according to the information shared in our Mustang Europe group on FB, one of those was Cobb pro-tuned, and the failure had pretty clearly nothing to do with the tune, two were tuned by 2 different local tuners and one was completely stock (brand new car with ~700 km on it).

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
Silver is a better conductor than iridium the faster I can fire the more boost can run the ECU on these motors can tell how much timing to run . I would give them a try mate..
According to American Muscle, β€œthese Spark Plugs are ideal to be used on a Non-Modified/Stock EcoBoost Mustang. If planning on modifying the vehicle, especially with a tune, it would be best to get a non-projected spark plug like Brisk's part# RR14S or a colder heat range spark plug like Brisk's part# RR12YS.”

Also are these plugs pre-gapped? I like the fact that the NGKs sold by Adam come pre-gapped, so there is no need to mess with the tip.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
To those interested: another stock Mustang EcoBoost blown. Posted yesterday in the Ford Mustang EcoBoost group on FB. Certainly not happy to post it, just doing so for the records.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Theory: Colder weather, people booting cars more, people kicking cars teeth in when it isn't warm? :shrug:

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
^ That. And also cold weather = more timing
Sponsored