Sponsored

Have you blown an engine? If so, what rod (cylinder) failed?

What rod (cylinder) failed on your engine?

• Total voters

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
He's making some serious power, some serious power I don't even want to attempt to go near on the stock block on a daily, I think I'm at my peak :amen:.
At least not with a built motor :ninja:
Sponsored

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
Cobb v3
Vargas stage 2 ( high flow ported head and studs)e40 tune with torco ,and not tuned by tune + for reasons
MMR ( cai)
Mishimoto catch can
AEM ( charge pipes)with two factory 1/8 nozzle adaptors taped in the cold side charge pipe
AEM ( snow kit with two nozzles)
Steel works down pipe ( high flow cat.)
2.50 double tube with dbx mufflers res delete all wrapped .
Universal (t 3 turbo blanket)
Turbo smart waste gate (17 pound spring set)
Bomba blow off and GfB DV + stacked up
INJINE INTERCOOLER (22X6X6) BAD TO BONE KEEPS ME COOL
Ford performance strut tower and brace.
Lowering springs
IRS BRACKETS
K BRACE
SWAY BARS
DRAG LINKS
CARBON FIBER DRIVE line
All steeda above sure I forgot something but short list sexy in yellow.:ford:

Last edited:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
At least not with a built motor :ninja:
I'd go mental if I had funds for a build motor (or a sponsor) cough cough first Uk built motor, anyone? anyone?! ;)
[MENTION=32046]trippleyelo[/MENTION] bit ahead of me mechanical wise:
Denso ITV22
Air raid MIT
Velossatek ram air intake
K&N Panel Filter
Turbosmart WGA (Fk knows what spring set it is...)
Cobb 3" downpipe (Modded to fit UK car) - High Flow cat on it
Magnaflow comp cat back
Pedders XA Coilovers
Steeda IRS inserts and billet inserts.
MPSS rear tyres (Daily car)
ETS Intercooler (Bigger is better :clap2:)

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd go mental if I had funds for a build motor (or a sponsor) cough cough first Uk built motor, anyone? anyone?! ;)
[MENTION=32046]trippleyelo[/MENTION] bit ahead of me mechanical wise:
Denso ITV22
Air raid MIT
Velossatek ram air intake
K&N Panel Filter
Turbosmart WGA (Fk knows what spring set it is...)
Cobb 3" downpipe (Modded to fit UK car) - High Flow cat on it
Magnaflow comp cat back
Pedders XA Coilovers
Steeda IRS inserts and billet inserts.
MPSS rear tyres (Daily car)
ETS Intercooler (Bigger is better :clap2:)
I get away from denso there shi_ mate almost blew my motor on that crap broken insulator cel tdc fault thankful I was in economy slot....:headbonk:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I get away from denso there shi_ mate almost blew my motor on that crap broken insulator cel tdc fault thankful I was in economy slot....:headbonk:
Got NGKs I pickup this weekend... :thumbsup:

Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
I would go nuts on a built block + a big turbo too! Till then, I live happy with my mods, the car keeps pulling all the way through the red line. A little beast that puts a huge smile on my face every time I get in! My mods on my signature.

I have the NGKs, to be honest I haven't seen any difference, but I suppose they provide safety when tuned/modded for better power.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
fwiw my denso's are fine as well, I had them out last week to 'inspect' them, no error codes or nothing :p

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
are the numbers out through FOIA? Can anyone in USA ask ford for them?
FOIA applies only to the Federal Government. As far as I know, Ford is not obligated to publicly share any data about in-use engine failure statistics. I would imagine you could ask for it, but I doubt you'd get anything.

Add all tuned engines up, all stock engines, workout the percetile vs total EBM sold (worldwide) if number is less than 5% it's well below MAXIMUM levels of production tolerance for failures.
Where are you getting the 5% figure from? I'd be very surprised to hear that 5 blown engines out of every 100 built is acceptable to any manufacturer.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
FOIA applies only to the Federal Government. As far as I know, Ford is not obligated to publicly share any data about in-use engine failure statistics. I would imagine you could ask for it, but I doubt you'd get anything.

Where are you getting the 5% figure from?
General business principals of production, maximum failure rates usually stand at about 5%. it's not a ford number, theirs could be lower. That's for stuff like human error, mechanical issues (such as a product not being up to scratch etc).

Ford aren't obligated to share It, but as it's not public info, or personal info, you can request through FOIA.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
General business principals of production, maximum failure rates usually stand at about 5%. it's not a ford number, theirs could be lower. That's for stuff like human error, mechanical issues (such as a product not being up to scratch etc).
There are some 7 million ecoboost motors on the roads around the world. If there were a 5% failure rate that would mean 350,000 blown ecoboost motors. Are you sure about that figure?

Ford aren't obligated to share It, but as it's not public info, or personal info, you can request through FOIA.
Here in the United States FOIA does not apply to private companies. As you say, you can certainly ask the Federal government for information about Ford engine failure rates, but unless you goal is to amuse the bureaucrats who handle FOIA requests you're wasting your time.

https://www.rcfp.org/federal-open-g...om-information-act/which-agencies-are-covered

Sponsored

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are some 7 million ecoboost motors on the roads around the world. If there were a 5% failure rate that would mean 350,000 blown ecoboost motors. Are you sure about that figure?

Here in the United States FOIA does not apply to private companies. As you say, you can certainly ask the Federal government for information about Ford engine failure rates, but unless you goal is to amuse the bureaucrats who handle FOIA requests you're wasting your time.

https://www.rcfp.org/federal-open-g...om-information-act/which-agencies-are-covered
We'll put in that formula ford would have a class action suit on there hands maybe there reading with popcorn in hand. The pinto all over again.lol.:clap2:

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
Steve, do you remember our calculations for an estimated 0.2% EB engines blown in Europe based on facts obtained from Belgium, where 4 out of 2000 EBs sold have blown? And for the records, according to the information that we have, one of those was Cobb pro-tuned, and had pretty clearly nothing to do with the tune, two were tuned by 2 different local tuners and one was completely stock (brand new car with ~700 km on it).

I don't know if EB engines blow at the same rate in every European country, but for the sake of this discussion, if we extrapolate this percentage, then we can estimate that there will be almost 20 out of 10000 Mustang EBs sold in Europe. Maybe we can further extrapolate this to all Mustang EBs sold worldwide?

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
if we extrapolate this percentage, then we can estimate that there will be almost 20 out of 10000 Mustang EBs sold in Europe. Maybe we can further extrapolate this to all Mustang EBs sold worldwide?
Unless you control for all factors that might affect engine failure I don't believe this number will be of any value. An engine in its fifth year of operation can be expected to fail at a higher rate than engines in their first year; engines used for motorsport (or other high stress use, such as taxi) can be expected to fail at higher rates; engines modified to produce more power than design spec can be expected to fail at higher rates, etc.

Without the control data, simply knowing the total number of engines blown compared to the total number in service tells you nothing of real value. Even knowing how many bone stock motors have blown is of little value without knowing the details. For example, a missed shift during hard acceleration with a manual transmission (you bang it back into second when trying to upshift to fourth) can result in an engine overspeed. Even a momentary overspeed in such a situation can result in engine failure or greatly reduced engine life.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

Are you lot on this forum dense or do I have to spell things out >MAXIMUM 5%< doesn't mean 5%. usually means if you get to 5% then there's a problem. I'm also talking for the Mustang not all EBM. if theres 7m and 5% (350k) blow, then you've got CALS and Recalls.

I'd expect failure rate to be around 0.5% for this, making it 35k based on the 7m figure.

However change the numbers, changes the figures, and just because a failure rate of 0.5% doesn't mean 35k would have blown, it means 35k COULD blow or be within that tolerance.

No. business. produces. perfect. products. That's why there's warranty etc, especially in a car where there's hundereds of thousands of different things that could go wrong.

Also the 5% 'failure rate' maximum is a hypothesis for production, not set in stone, fords rates are 1) probably lower, and 2) nowhere near their maximum, and also the failures aren't all to a cylinder through the block, it could be something small going wrong etc. before someone else jumps down my neck :thumbsup:.

Extrapaing data is a very, very risky business [MENTION=27749]MakStang[/MENTION] I refuse to do it at work because it provides bad figures. that don't tell a story. :thumbsup:

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would go nuts on a built block + a big turbo too! Till then, I live happy with my mods, the car keeps pulling all the way through the red line. A little beast that puts a huge smile on my face every time I get in! My mods on my signature.

I have the NGKs, to be honest I haven't seen any difference, but I suppose they provide safety when tuned/modded for better power.
Brisks rr14ys for the win..:first:
Sponsored