Sponsored

Have to pump clutch pedal to get in gear when stopped

choltzapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP
Over the past two weeks I've developed an issue where the trans often doesn't want to go into gear when at a stop. I have to pump the pedal a few times and then it goes in just fine. When the car is moving I have no issues changing gears.

My thought is the slave is going bad, has anyone else had this issue? If so, what was the fix?
Sponsored

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
Have you checked the brake fluid level?

OP
OP

choltzapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have, it's always at the max line.

I forgot to mention, the clutch has been replaced with a Lethal LPX a little less than a year ago. I also have a stainless braided clutch line. Car is procharged making 750whp, in case that helps.

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
I know the clutch has a completely anemic feel to it but does it feel like nothing is there at first? When i did my clutch line even after i bleed it out the next week or two after a long sit i had to pump it a few times. I wonder if you got air in there somehow. I would think if the thoughout went you would be leaking fluid.

OP
OP

choltzapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My first thought was air in the system. I checked the hose at the master cylinder that's an issue for so many, and mine wasn't pushed on all the way. I pushed it back on (I'll be replacing it with the Steeda hose soon) and pumped it a bunch to try and bleed it, but no luck.

The pedal feels perfectly normal, no issues with that.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure the pedal isn't low by trying to lift it with your toe.

But yeah... probably the slave cylinder going out. Good time to consider replacing the clutch with a fresh one since you're going to have it out anyway.

OP
OP

choltzapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clutch pedal is fine, not low at all. The clutch was replaced less than a year ago with a Lethal LPX twin disc. It should be fine, but I'll be checking it out soon. I bought a new master, slave, rear main seal, trans input shaft seal, and master cylinder hose that will all be going in soon. I'm just hoping there aren't any issues in the trans and looking to see if anybody has seen this particular issue before.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Over the past two weeks I've developed an issue where the trans often doesn't want to go into gear when at a stop. I have to pump the pedal a few times and then it goes in just fine. When the car is moving I have no issues changing gears.

My thought is the slave is going bad, has anyone else had this issue? If so, what was the fix?
Since you mention the LPX, there's been some recent threads about that clutch set up.... see this one where the pressure plate has failed:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...h-pedal-goes-to-floor-and-stays-there.178819/

If the slave isn't leaking, there isn't a breach allowing air into the system, and the clutch line is secure at the reservoir, then the issue lies within the clutch assembly.

OP
OP

choltzapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since you mention the LPX, there's been some recent threads about that clutch set up.... see this one where the pressure plate has failed:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...h-pedal-goes-to-floor-and-stays-there.178819/

If the slave isn't leaking, there isn't a breach allowing air into the system, and the clutch line is secure at the reservoir, then the issue lies within the clutch assembly.
I might be reading that thread wrong, but it seems like they're having different issues than what I'm having. Mainly the pedal going to the floor, which mine has never done. Am I reading that post wrong maybe?
Sponsored