Sponsored

Have stage 2 VMP, thinking of going Stage 3...

ArabianOak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Hi Gang,

This summer I went ahead and did the stage 2 vmp kit with 79mm pulley. Car made incredible power...current tune is right near 680RWHP and 530RWTQ.

I've done about 8000 miles on this kit. Zero problems, nothing has broke. I don't track it, street driving only. I'm on stock half shafts and my stock clutch. Car is about to hit 35,000 miles. MT82 shifts great, no weird noises and is even better with the BG Synchro shift fluid I installed a few weeks back.

NOW i'm leaning toward the stage 3 upgrade with E85 and smaller pulley. Apparently these cars are gaining around 100RWHP with this upgrade.

My question is this...will I be making a mistake? The power I have now is more than sufficient but who doesn't like even more power. ha...

My thoughts and concerns are this...

1. Am I putting my stock coyote engine at risk? I have upgraded the OPG and CG, which was done during the blower install. Other than that the engine is stock.

2. Will my stock half shafts and clutch survive still with no issues (street driving only)

3. How bad is driveability affected by this upgrade (car drives better than stock with VMP tune right now)

I'm on the fence on this move...the cost to do it is very low but the car is in such a sweet spot right now, I don't want to make a mistake either!

Thoughts???
Sponsored

EgoBoost

9/11 Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Black PP GT 6 SPEED
Push the envelope...as long as there’s enough cash in the envelope for a new motor and possibly blower.

Honestly, you can make the extra 100ish with the pulley/e85 alone. The G2 VMP/ Whipples are already in the 8’s. No reason for you to upgrade with the way you utilize the car.

Last edited:

Rcobra427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hi Gang,

This summer I went ahead and did the stage 2 vmp kit with 79mm pulley. Car made incredible power...current tune is right near 680RWHP and 530RWTQ.

I've done about 8000 miles on this kit. Zero problems, nothing has broke. I don't track it, street driving only. I'm on stock half shafts and my stock clutch. Car is about to hit 35,000 miles. MT82 shifts great, no weird noises and is even better with the BG Synchro shift fluid I installed a few weeks back.

NOW i'm leaning toward the stage 3 upgrade with E85 and smaller pulley. Apparently these cars are gaining around 100RWHP with this upgrade.

My question is this...will I be making a mistake? The power I have now is more than sufficient but who doesn't like even more power. ha...

My thoughts and concerns are this...

1. Am I putting my stock coyote engine at risk? I have upgraded the OPG and CG, which was done during the blower install. Other than that the engine is stock.

2. Will my stock half shafts and clutch survive still with no issues (street driving only)

3. How bad is driveability affected by this upgrade (car drives better than stock with VMP tune right now)

I'm on the fence on this move...the cost to do it is very low but the car is in such a sweet spot right now, I don't want to make a mistake either!

Thoughts???
do you have the base injectors that come with the kit or do you have the injectors upgraded for the 79mm pulley? I'm curious because I just picked my car up from VMP on Friday and the car made 617 with just the base gen 2 bolt on kit with the stock pulley that comes in the kit and I'm looking for maybe like 650ish, don't get me wrong 617 is fast and fun but its never enough

TexasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I have the Roush kit and making 741whp. Stock clutch, half shafts, etc. to this point, everything is good. Streetability is spot on. Traction is my biggest issue by far. But, if I went super sticky, I bet something would break sooner or later. Going with MPSS 4's for Texas Mile event. Should hook better than PZeros.

OP
OP
ArabianOak

ArabianOak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
do you have the base injectors that come with the kit or do you have the injectors upgraded for the 79mm pulley? I'm curious because I just picked my car up from VMP on Friday and the car made 617 with just the base gen 2 bolt on kit with the stock pulley that comes in the kit and I'm looking for maybe like 650ish, don't get me wrong 617 is fast and fun but its never enough
I'm running the 56lb injectors that came with the kit on a 79mm pulley. I'm assuming you went with the 82mm pulley?

Sponsored

OP
OP
ArabianOak

ArabianOak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
I have the Roush kit and making 741whp. Stock clutch, half shafts, etc. to this point, everything is good. Streetability is spot on. Traction is my biggest issue by far. But, if I went super sticky, I bet something would break sooner or later. Going with MPSS 4's for Texas Mile event. Should hook better than PZeros.
Yes, I just switched from the NT05r to the MPSS and it has been the best move I have made! Plus if I get caught in the rain I won't die! haha...

very nice setup by the way...I keep reading that the e85 setup is actually safer than pump gas...have you read that?

OP
OP
ArabianOak

ArabianOak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
So I am assuming if I go stage 3 I will need the following parts...

69mm pulley (or something smaller than I have now)

95lb injectors (as rec'd by VMP on there website)

67mm VMP twin jet TB

Custom E85 tune

Those items above give over 100 RWHP? I believe it, just seeing if others got those numbers.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
You'll be right at 800rwhp with a 69mm I believe

Rcobra427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'm running the 56lb injectors that came with the kit on a 79mm pulley. I'm assuming you went with the 82mm pulley?
Yea I told them I just wanted the basic gen 2 kit plus the spark plugs and when I looked on their website today I see that you can choose your pulley size at no extra charge..... I wish I would have known that cause I would have told them I want the 79mm pulley, I just picked my car up Friday so I’m going to give them a call and see if I can get that pulley mailed to me at no extra charge as long as I don’t have to do a retune
Sponsored