Sponsored

have a slight vibration, was told it could be unbalanced drive shaft. what are your thoughts?

ecoboost2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
I was told that a vibration I have been having is due to a drive shaft that is out of balance. This was relayed to me by a mechanic I had look at it. He doesn't do driveshaft work at his shop. I'm wondering if you guys think I should be worried or not? I'll have to take it to shop that does that sort of work, so I'm unsure what to expect regarding costs. I hope the shaft isn't bent. I don't really have a good way of jacking up the car, and I'm sure it would be hard for me to tell if it's bent. The mechanic seems to be confident the drive shaft just needs to be balanced. The problem is, almost every case I heard of when a drive shaft is unbalanced it's because the u-joints are failing/failed or the shaft is bent and has to be replaced.
Sponsored

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
What does it sound/feellike? drive shaft problem will sound like an airplane propeller and feel like a drone or a buzz.. Wheel or tire, well, we all know what those feel like.

OP
OP

ecoboost2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
What does it sound/feellike? drive shaft problem will sound like an airplane propeller and feel like a drone or a buzz.. Wheel or tire, well, we all know what those feel like.

its been a few days since I drove the car. But if I remember I could have heard that kind of noise, maybe at freeway speeds, I'm not sure though. I'll listen again when I'm on the highway/freeway. If recall correctly, the vibration is dull and sometimes you might feel it in the steering wheel, but not always.
Sponsored