Sponsored

Have a Bullitt...Should I get a Mach 1 or a GT350 or just keep what I have?

OP
OP
derklink

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
I was in the same predicament about 2 1/2 years ago. Ended up going with a Mach 1 non HP. Went from a 2019 GT PP, 6SP, magneride, active exhaust to a 2021 Mach 1 6sp. It is quite a different car in all respects. The transmission is geared much more aggressively, and normal mode feels more like sport in the GT. So, throttle response, braking, handling, sound, etc. Everything is a notch up.

When I get on the highway I do miss the deep overdrive on the Getrag transmission over the Tremec. That’s okay because it’s not my daily driver.

I passed on a Shelby because of vibrations and potential engine problems.

IMG_2501.jpg
IMG_2530.jpg
Interesting and congrats on the Mach 1 - looks good! So Normal mode in the Mach 1 feels like Sport mode in the GT and Sport mode in the Mach 1 feels like Track mode in the GT? With that comparison, would you say that with the Mach 1 "Everything is a notch up" is worth $13k? I know, it's all subjective.
Sponsored

OP
OP
derklink

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
I could have ordered a Mach1 at MSRP in Dec 20. I passed after a found a 20 PP2 loaded for 5k off sticker. Didn’t make sense to spend 11k more for Mach 1 with same options.
That makes sense. Somewhat similar situation for me, albeit I'm looking at used vs used and a $13k delta.

OP
OP
derklink

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Interesting bits I found (wasn't aware of it):

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2021-ford-mustang-mach-1-first-drive-review/

" Rather than the Getrag six-speed manual you'll find in the Mustang GT, the Mach 1 uses the stronger Tremec TR-3160 transmission from the Shelby GT350. This 6MT setup comes standard with automatic (and defeatable) rev-matching, but you sadly don't get the Shelby's super-notchy shifter. Instead, the Mach 1 has the twin-disc clutch and short-throw gearbox from the Mustang GT, complete with the Bullitt's cue-ball shifter. It's a consolation prize, but I'm not mad about it. "

" The Handling Package will get you close-ish to the feeling of a GT350, but there's still a pretty big disparity between the two. On the other hand, the Mach 1 is sharper than any other 5.0-liter Mustang, but without the Handling Package, I'm not sure it's so significantly better than a GT with the Performance Pack and MagneRide dampers to really be worth the added cost. "

As my Bullitt is a GT with the PP1 and MagneRide, and even has the exact same powertrain, spending $13k to get a Mach 1 does not seem like a stellar move.

Last edited:

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
I’m not a fan of the Mt-82 but my 20 had a way better trans than the 17 Roush rs3 did.

Groovy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 700A Tremec Oxford White
Interesting and congrats on the Mach 1 - looks good! So Normal mode in the Mach 1 feels like Sport mode in the GT and Sport mode in the Mach 1 feels like Track mode in the GT? With that comparison, would you say that with the Mach 1 "Everything is a notch up" is worth $13k? I know, it's all subjective.
Let me go for a rip around town for a refresher. I'll get back to you.

Sponsored

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
Interesting bits I found (wasn't aware of it):

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2021-ford-mustang-mach-1-first-drive-review/

" Rather than the Getrag six-speed manual you'll find in the Mustang GT, the Mach 1 uses the stronger Tremec TR-3160 transmission from the Shelby GT350. This 6MT setup comes standard with automatic (and defeatable) rev-matching, but you sadly don't get the Shelby's super-notchy shifter. Instead, the Mach 1 has the twin-disc clutch and short-throw gearbox from the Mustang GT, complete with the Bullitt's cue-ball shifter. It's a consolation prize, but I'm not mad about it. "

" The Handling Package will get you close-ish to the feeling of a GT350, but there's still a pretty big disparity between the two. On the other hand, the Mach 1 is sharper than any other 5.0-liter Mustang, but without the Handling Package, I'm not sure it's so significantly better than a GT with the Performance Pack and MagneRide dampers to really be worth the added cost. "
The author of that article is misinformed. The Mach 1 TR-3160 also includes the GT350’s short-throw shifter and NOT the GT’s. I own a GT and a Mach 1 HP, and the difference is night and day. I’ve also driven a GT350, and it is definitely the same experience as the Mach 1’s TR-3160. (That said, the MT6 in my GT is really smooth, and a really good shifting experience. I don’t know what Ford did in the MT6 for the 22’s.)

MotorTrend confirms as well…”Opt for the row-your-own transmission and you also get the short-throw shifter from the GT350.”

The twin-disc clutch is the same as the GT, but comes with rev-matching/no-lift shifting, unlike the GT350. A reasonable compromise.

OP
OP
derklink

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
The author of that article is misinformed. The Mach 1 TR-3160 also includes the GT350’s short-throw shifter and NOT the GT’s. I own a GT and a Mach 1 HP, and the difference is night and day. I’ve also driven a GT350, and it is definitely the same experience as the Mach 1’s TR-3160. (That said, the MT6 in my GT is really smooth, and a really good shifting experience. I don’t know what Ford did in the MT6 for the 22’s.)

MotorTrend confirms as well…”Opt for the row-your-own transmission and you also get the short-throw shifter from the GT350.”

The twin-disc clutch is the same as the GT, but comes with rev-matching/no-lift shifting, unlike the GT350. A reasonable compromise.
Thank you for the clarification! Does your '22 GT have the Performance Pack and MagneRide?

Groovy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 700A Tremec Oxford White
Good questions.

Normal in Mach 1 feels like sport in GT. Sport in Mach 1 is like a notch up. I wouldn’t say track in GT. But maybe. Track in Mach 1 is made for a road course. So, you lose a lot of throttle response in lower RPMS. But rips on the top end.

I ordered the 21 Mach 1 and traded the 19 GT for a difference of $15K

The Mach 1 seems to me packaged better than the GT. Everything works better together. You are definitely going to shift more driving around town. The Getrag ratios are noticeable longer than the Tremec. I use 5th in the Mach 1 in places where I never did in the GT.

My silver GT was stealthy and didn’t attach a lot of attention. The Mach 1 is the opposite. Everbody wants to looks at it. Even the fat girls at the truck stop. ;)

So it depends what you are looking for. I’m going to say the Bullitt is stealthy compared to a Mach 1 or Shelby.

What do you not like about your Bullitt?

Sponsored
OP
OP
derklink

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Good questions.

Normal in Mach 1 feels like sport in GT. Sport in Mach 1 is like a notch up. I wouldn’t say track in GT. But maybe. Track in Mach 1 is made for a road course. So, you lose a lot of throttle response in lower RPMS. But rips on the top end.

I ordered the 21 Mach 1 and traded the 19 GT for a difference of $15K

The Mach 1 seems to me packaged better than the GT. Everything works better together. You are definitely going to shift more driving around town. The Getrag ratios are noticeable longer than the Tremec. I use 5th in the Mach 1 in places where I never did in the GT.

My silver GT was stealthy and didn’t attach a lot of attention. The Mach 1 is the opposite. Everbody wants to looks at it. Even the fat girls at the truck stop. ;)

So it depends what you are looking for. I’m going to say the Bullitt is stealthy compared to a Mach 1 or Shelby.

What do you not like about your Bullitt?
Thank you for your insight. Interesting about the gear ratios. I think 1:1 ratio is in 4th with the Getrag and 5th with the Tremec. Though I think Bullitt and Mach 1 have identical 0-60 times. Maybe the seat of the pants feel in the Mach 1 is quicker?

The Bullitt is certainly no chick magnet, but I am married (to my truck stop sweetheart) so it doesn't matter. :wink: I do like the stealthy and classy look of the Bullitt, it does fly under the radar. The Mach 1 I am pondering about is Iconic Silver and my first two Mustangs (2011 S197 and the 2016 GT) were both Magnetic Grey so I guess I am not one for "loud" colors. I have a silver truck as my primary vehicle, so a silver Mach 1 may get a little boring after a while. The Mach 1 in Eruption Green also looks cool but the Dark Highland Green from the Bullitt is just better in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Bullitt a lot and wish I could just add a GT350 to it. It is the perfect V8 cruiser, the sound is great, and it is no slouch. It cannot hide its weight though. Besides that, my only gripe is the transmission. The MT82-D4 is ok and mine has zero issues but once I drove the Tremec in the Shelby, the difference was night and day and I still remember that feeling. I guess I am looking for something "sharper" if that makes sense and for something that makes the rare moments I find time to drive a little more exciting.

I actually thought I had found a GT350 Heritage Edition today but I got skeptical when they low balled me on my Bullitt. Turns out that dealership sells a ton of Lemon branded Mustangs. No thanks.

These Mach 1s here are not bad offerings https://www.olatheford.com/used/Ford/2021-Ford-Mustang-23f8d97c0a0e0a911339bfa3d4b2c63b.htm https://www.byersford.com/used/Ford...edium=referral&utm_campaign=cargurus_listings so I see them come down quite a bit. However, maybe once they are discontinued, they'll go up...like the Shelby did. Who knows?

I found a manual Grabber Blue Mach 1 really close to me so I think I'll try to test drive it tomorrow. Maybe (hopefully) that helps me with my decision. I can watch endless hours of YT videos and write novels on this forum - an actual test drive may do the trick.

willymo72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Go test drive a used mach 1 and a used gt350, ideally back to back if you can. I say used because 1) hopefully the dealerships are more willing to actually let you drive them and 2) they're post break in and you'll get a better feel for them, and won't worry about flogging it.

Another thing to consider is, if you think this next mustang will stay in your stable for a long time (hate to say forever, bc rarely does that happen), or do you forsee yourself wanting something different in 2-3yrs anyways?

If you think this is "it" for quite a while, I'd say go for it. Btw you will have a ton more used MY22 mach 1 options in about 4-6 months, so keep that in mind as well. Currently the used inventory is largely my21s.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Replacing the front dampers with a pair from the m1 and putting in the revised MR tune from FP hardly qualifies as modding. It's all Ford parts. If you want the FP front bar you can add it. Springs optional too.

It doesn't address heat issues... If you haven't fixed the IRS and chassis points that's not modding, either. It's FIXING.

The prices for gt350 will crash back to 2019 trajectory. Just give it a year or so. M1 are also coming down even new as dealers realize the buyers are all gone.

OP
OP
derklink

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Go test drive a used mach 1 and a used gt350, ideally back to back if you can. I say used because 1) hopefully the dealerships are more willing to actually let you drive them and 2) they're post break in and you'll get a better feel for them, and won't worry about flogging it.

Another thing to consider is, if you think this next mustang will stay in your stable for a long time (hate to say forever, bc rarely does that happen), or do you forsee yourself wanting something different in 2-3yrs anyways?

If you think this is "it" for quite a while, I'd say go for it. Btw you will have a ton more used MY22 mach 1 options in about 4-6 months, so keep that in mind as well. Currently the used inventory is largely my21s.
Theoretically, I could live with the Bullitt for a long time as it is a great car but I tend to get bored after a while and swap cars every 2-3 years. Financially not too smart but I don't have any expensive hobbies. I watched the market closely when they phased out the Bullitt. There were hundreds left and slowly bought up as the prices kept coming down. I'm already seeing quite a few 2022 Mach 1 "leftovers". Mach 1 test drive scheduled for tomorrow.

OP
OP
derklink

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Replacing the front dampers with a pair from the m1 and putting in the revised MR tune from FP hardly qualifies as modding. It's all Ford parts. If you want the FP front bar you can add it. Springs optional too.

It doesn't address heat issues... If you haven't fixed the IRS and chassis points that's not modding, either. It's FIXING.

The prices for gt350 will crash back to 2019 trajectory. Just give it a year or so. M1 are also coming down even new as dealers realize the buyers are all gone.
They'll eventually all come down but the GT350s are not getting better with a lot of miles on them and low mileage ones would remain stable I imagine. If I got a 350, I'd only look for a low miles '19 or '20 with the revised engine and (try to) keep it long term. Also, I can see people ditching high mileage 350s for Dark Horses soon.
Sponsored