Sponsored

Have 3 Snow Tire sizing options. Which one to take?

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
As fall approaches, I'm thinking about snow tire sizing for my PP1 GT. I've got it down to three options on sizing and I'm bouncing back and forth on them.

Option 1: Snow tires same sizes as summer tires. 255/40-19 on 19x9 (front) / 275/40-19 on 19x10 (rear)
Pros:
  • Know they fit.
  • No speedometer / stability control issues
Cons:
  • Pretty damn wide if it snows
  • Can't rotate between seasons to even out wear.
  • Blizzak LM-32 or Pirelli Sottozero only

Option 2: Square setup. 245/45-19 on 19x9 all around
Pros:
  • Should fit.
  • Same rear diameter, so no speedometer issue
  • Can rotate F<->B between seasons to even wear.
  • Lots of tire options
Cons:
  • Front tire 3/4" larger diameter than stock

Option 3: Same-width setup. 245/40-19 on 19x9 (front) / 245/45-19 on 19x9 (rear)
Pros:
  • Should fit.
  • Front tire close to stock diameter (1/3" smaller)

Cons:
  • Limited tire options
  • Kind of an oddball setup
  • Can't rotate between seasons to even out wear

Anyone have any thoughts?
Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Depending on how much you plan to drive your car in the snow and how much snow you get, I would go with option 1.

Everyone will say staggered is bad for snow, but I have a staggered set of snow tires (255/285 Pilot Alpin PA4) on PP wheels. The wider tires in the back will help you grip better on cold dry pavement. And I've still driven the car in a blizzard without issue.

Since it's not my main car for snow driving I think it's worth the tradeoff for better traction on cold pavement, and still be able to get around in the snow if I need to. If its your only car you plan on driving all winter then I would go with a square setup so your back tires are skinnier which should be better in deep snow.

OP
OP
Zooks527

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depending on how much you plan to drive your car in the snow and how much snow you get, I would go with option 1.
We can get fair amounts, but I don't plan to drive in the snow if at all possible (I have a 4x4 Tacoma with snow / ice tires for that, and my wife drives a Subaru).

Since it's not my main car for snow driving I think it's worth the tradeoff for better traction on cold pavement, and still be able to get around in the snow if I need to. If its your only car you plan on driving all winter then I would go with a square setup so your back tires are skinnier which should be better in deep snow.
Leaning towards "everything looks like the summer set". My only concern is that our daughter visits for a few weeks at Christmas, and that puts my car in play when she takes my wife's Subaru and my wife takes my truck. I can't see it being driven in snow storms at all, but we'll go for good stretches of time when there's a fair amount of snow-covered and icy spots on curves in the shade on our street.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Option 2 would be my go-to, little extra height for snow and possible ice chunks, skinnier tread to reach through the loose snow and actually find something solid.
I’m from Alaska and lived in Europe for many years, so I have some experience, Lol!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Option 2 for sure.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Zooks527

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Option 2 does expand the tire choices from "Performance Winter" (essentially a performance tread with winter compounds) only to include true Snow / Ice tires.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Nokain Hakkapelittias are the best snow tire money can buy. Ill be on my 3rd set this winter. They are worth every penny forsure.

I ran 245/40/19s on all 4.

I hate winter in ND but with the car on Nokians its not too bad.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Nokain Hakkapelittias are the best snow tire money can buy. Ill be on my 3rd set this winter. They are worth every penny forsure.

I ran 245/40/19s on all 4.

I hate winter in ND but with the car on Nokians its not too bad.
How are those tires for wear on dry pavement? I live in MD, we don't get a lot of snow but my Mustang is my only car. I use summer only tires in the summer and was looking for a set of snow tires to switch to in the winter. The all-season just don't seem to do well in the snow. I was looking at Continental Contact 265/40R19

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I had a pair of bridgestone blizzaks on my 2002 GT. I then used them on my 2005 GT (26 miles each way to work). They were amazing. Believe they were 245/45/17 which was the stock tire size on the 2002 GT. The tread width worked great. 5" of unplowed snow and the car drove great. Never stuck anywhere. Good bite taking off even in first gear. They wore fine. I left them on throughout the entire season. I ended up selling them when I got a job that provided me a company car. They still had 75% tread then. That guy was also amazed on how they performed on his 2007 GT auto. I ran the lower speed rating btw. That was the recommendation from the dealer as well. They stated the H rated tire did not perform as well in the snow size v size.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How are those tires for wear on dry pavement? I live in MD, we don't get a lot of snow but my Mustang is my only car. I use summer only tires in the summer and was looking for a set of snow tires to switch to in the winter. The all-season just don't seem to do well in the snow. I was looking at Continental Contact 265/40R19
I put 3 winters on the 1st set of Nokian Hakkas I had. I live in North Dakota and round trip 20 miles on the interstate daily to work. Snow, Slush, Rain, Sleet, Or Dry Old Man winter be damned! My Mustang is my daily also.

I promise you will not regret a set of Nokians!

BTW my wife has Blizzaks on her malibu. And although her car is FWD obviously the Blizzaks seems more squirrley I wouldnt want them on a RWD car.

Ive had Blizzaks on FWD cars Ive owned too like a cammed E85 Supercharged Pontiac Grand Prix too. They maybe ok for a FWD car but again I wouldnt put them on my RWD car.

For ANY RWD car its simple. NOKIANS or bust!!

Thats just my 2 cents.

Edit. Ohh BTW Ill post up pics of my 2018 on Nokians when the snow flies. I might even go studded this year since ND allows studs October to April.

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I put 3 winters on the 1st set of Nokian Hakkas I had. I live in North Dakota and round trip 20 miles on the interstate daily to work. Snow, Slush, Rain, Sleet, Or Dry Old Man winter be damned! My Mustang is my daily also.

I promise you will not regret a set of Nokians!

BTW my wife has Blizzaks on her malibu. And although her car is FWD obviously the Blizzaks seems more squirrley I wouldnt want them on a RWD car.

Ive had Blizzaks on FWD cars Ive owned too like a cammed E85 Supercharged Pontiac Grand Prix too. They maybe ok for a FWD car but again I wouldnt put them on my RWD car.

For ANY RWD car its simple. NOKIANS or bust!!

Thats just my 2 cents.

Edit. Ohh BTW Ill post up pics of my 2018 on Nokians when the snow flies. I might even go studded this year since ND allows studs October to April.
I'm convinced that for areas with a lot (frequent) snow the Nokians would be great, I've heard a lot of people rave about them. My concern is if the tread will last in an area where they will be on dry road most of the winter. Realistically, I will probably only drive in the snow 4 -5 times through the winter. I just figured since I have to take my summer only tires off in the winter anyways, I'd rather have a tire that WILL be able to handle the snow well. I know first thought most people will have is just run a good all-season for that little snow but I live in the mountains and I've tried that and can't get up the hills if it snows. I'm just concerned there might be some trade-off like, although they are great in the snow, the tread won't last on dry pavement or they will be like ice skates on cold wet pavement.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just thought of this too maybe look into Nokian all seasons they just started making those too but i dont know what sizes are available.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
As fall approaches, I'm thinking about snow tire sizing for my PP1 GT. I've got it down to three options on sizing and I'm bouncing back and forth on them.

Option 2: Square setup. 245/45-19 on 19x9 all around
Pros:
  • Should fit.
  • Can rotate F<->B between seasons to even wear.
  • Lots of tire options
Cons:
  • Front tire 3/4" larger diameter than stock
A 27.7" tall tire in front is no problem. Myself and many others run 275/40R19 square on 9.5" or 10" rims even with lowering springs in the front.​

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
On my PP1 I ran a square setup of the Xi3 in 245/45/19 with no problems. I cant recall now 19x8 or 19x9 and what offset those wheels were but it worked perfectly fine for me, I drove it carefully and with care but I was surprised at how well I did with those. Though in my area I really rarely ever had to deal with more the 1-2" of snow at a time, 3" or more is rare for me at which time I would have just stayed home snow tires or not.
Sponsored