Sponsored

Has Ford replaced anyone's 5.2 due to the piston slap issue ?

Lilmags500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jody
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1 19 F350 20 Fusion Ti 19 Escape Ti
I have a 2016 GT 350 I bought used with 15,500 miles on it now , it is a beautiful car but has recently been diagnosed
with the piston slap issue . A TSB that doesn't specifically pertain to my VIN # states its normal and will not decrease the
longevity of the motor . I did a lot of research over the last week , and most conclude that the piston slap is BAD , and most certainly will decrease engine life .... Who to believe ?
Regardless , my car is sweet , but it sounds like a complete shit can with my piston slapping all around . The power-train warranty is good until May 2021 , if I don't add anything to it , but is anyone else here suffering with this issue ,
I need some reassurance !
Sponsored

volcanogod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 350
I have a 2016 GT 350 I bought used with 15,500 miles on it now , it is a beautiful car but has recently been diagnosed
with the piston slap issue . A TSB that doesn't specifically pertain to my VIN # states its normal and will not decrease the
longevity of the motor . I did a lot of research over the last week , and most conclude that the piston slap is BAD , and most certainly will decrease engine life .... Who to believe ?
Regardless , my car is sweet , but it sounds like a complete shit can with my piston slapping all around . The power-train warranty is good until May 2021 , if I don't add anything to it , but is anyone else here suffering with this issue ,
I need some reassurance !

I think you will be fine. My 2016 has it and I've seen no issues. It is more prevalent under low load below 3k RPM. If it bothers you, put your foot in it and you will grin ear to ear. There is a TSB that states it is normal for this engine design.

Deleted member 37397

Doesn’t it stop when it warms up? I don’t notice it after the engine is warmed up to operating temps

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
My former GT350 track pack had it too very loud, when cold. When warmed up a bit less, but still audible. But once you really get into it on the track, no more slap, just perfect smooth Voodoo noise :)

Now the R, has a bit less to be honest, but it is still audible at times

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Piston slap has been around awhile in performance engines. back in 2005 my new GTO had it. Only did it for about half block driven slow on cold engine especially in winter. Never a problem and no one else had a problem. Its just annoying and sounds like all hell is getting ready to break loose. I never pushed the issue though and drove slow just a little ways till it stopped.

Sponsored

matmar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
matthew
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Mine is loud when cold , better when warm , but still audible .
My 2018 is the same. Still audible when warm and when not under load. Compared to built forged motors I've had in the past, it is quiet.

OP
OP
Lilmags500

Lilmags500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jody
Vehicle(s)
Well , I guess I'm going to have to live with it , It is reassuring that its common and I'm not the only one afflicted . It is aggravating , I didnt
really panic about it until I read some posts of a few yahoos saying it was going to cut motor life short , which conflicts what Ford said
as it wouldn't affect engine life / longevity . If I keep the car I will definitely add Ford premium care to it , I cant risk losing this motor if it isn't
covered . JAJ mentioned a PCM update that may help , going to look into that also . Thanks for everyone's input .

Tribefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Mine is loud when cold , better when warm , but still audible .
Same here. No matter how warm the engine is for how long, I still hear it.

Deleted member 37397

Well , I guess I'm going to have to live with it , It is reassuring that its common and I'm not the only one afflicted . It is aggravating , I didnt
really panic about it until I read some posts of a few yahoos saying it was going to cut motor life short , which conflicts what Ford said
as it wouldn't affect engine life / longevity . If I keep the car I will definitely add Ford premium care to it , I cant risk losing this motor if it isn't
covered . JAJ mentioned a PCM update that may help , going to look into that also . Thanks for everyone's input .
ford won’t just simply update your pcm. I asked if they would and the advisor said not unless something is wrong with the car. If your exhaust valves are sticking when you try and open them up in sport mode I believe then they will do it, but that’s the only reason I recall ever seeing that they would update your pcm. I may be wrong if anyone else wants to chime in

Sponsored

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
If you're worried, get extended warranty and drive the shit out of it.

volcanogod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 350
ford won’t just simply update your pcm. I asked if they would and the advisor said not unless something is wrong with the car. If your exhaust valves are sticking when you try and open them up in sport mode I believe then they will do it, but that’s the only reason I recall ever seeing that they would update your pcm. I may be wrong if anyone else wants to chime in

I need to get mine updated as I had my exhaust valve stick for the 1st time. I had to pull over and shut off the car and then it opened up. Is there a way to see what TSB have been applied on the car? I know for recalls it's out in the open, but not the TSBs Thanks for the minder. :)

OP
OP
Lilmags500

Lilmags500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jody
Vehicle(s)
I Sell Ford parts wholesale , one of my buddies here did the update for me . Nothing noticeable has changed .... I have been looking into a new GT350 , but what if that one had the same issue ???

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If you hate to have noises in your car, my advice is to look for an electric vehicle. Gas engines always make lots of noises. To the extent that noises bother or concern you, it might be better to have something quieter.
Sponsored