Sponsored

Has anyone used the Ford procedure to change rear springs instead of subframe lower?

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
Curious i hate dropping my sub frame as i have changed my suspension so many times and 3 of my friends. I am afraid one day pushing down on the lowered side is doing to snap the bolts on the opposing side of the sub frame and that will be a nightmare.

it seems if you place a jack under the lower control arm, remove the shock, toe link and up right bolts at the spindle it should be somewhat easy but i have not tried yet.

anyone here go this route?
Sponsored

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
I didn't drop my subframe when I installed my coilovers - if you partly unbolt the carrier on the opposite side and not drop the bolts you can flex enough to pull and replace the springs. It wasn't anywhere near breaking bolts..

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Nope, did not drop mine nor unhook anything else other than the top of the shock to cut the bumpstops.

OP
OP

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
Nope, did not drop mine nor unhook anything else other than the top of the shock to cut the bumpstops.
How? Did you loosen the sub bolts! Or does removing the shock let you push the lower control arm down enough to sneak the coil out? The ford procedure calls for removing the lower control arm to remove and install the springs. This would entail removing the connections at the spindle for thr toe link, vertical link and subframe

For the most part i lower the entire subframe or loose one side and lower one side at a time. Now with the steeda irs braces it will be a total pita to remove everything over and over. So im seeking opinions on removing the spring using the ford method.

Sponsored

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Apologies, let me clarify myself.

I loosened all 4 cradle bolts, not remove them. That was enough for the stock springs to come out and new ones to slide right in.

I did not detach one side of the vertical links or drop the control arms.

I did not want to completely remove any of the cradle bolts as my cradle was pretty center from the factory. Also wanted to have a rough placement so my CB005 install would be fairly easy.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Just removed the shock, disconnected the sway bar end link and loosened 4 cradle bolts to remove springs and install coilovers. It was a lot easier than I initially thought it would be.
Sponsored