Sponsored

Has anyone used the "Clear Bra Film" on a windshield?

boostedCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange ecoboost
Ive been thinking after my 4th rock chip in the windshield since Feb, why rush into replacing the windshield just to be hit again... Seems like the new windshields are pretty fragile seeing multiple people having chips and cracks. Ive never had this many in any other vehicle ive owned.

I was thinking would a clear bra film, Xpel, ect, work on a windshield? :shrug:
Sponsored

Mustm26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Clear bra film

Don't drive too close behind the car in front. Maybe that will help. I rarely drive in traffic, but then again I don't have to, I am retired!

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
The problem with the theory is the glass is brittle. A hard strike will crack the glass with film or not. The film may absorb SOME impact but definitely won't prevent cracks especially high speed highway rocks/gravel, hail etc.

It will also make visibility weird. I wouldn't do it. It's cheaper to repair with Safelite (free depending on your state or usually not more than $50-60) or a new winshield- they're usually only $250-300. I had my S197 windshield repaired from a stone chip, not a crack, but after it will literally gone besides looked like a tiny smudge on the glass. Here it's free if you have comprehensive but I think it was $60 if you paid cash.

Matador91

Benchmark Auto Salon
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Clear film like XPEL wouldn't be very practical for every day use, being that the material is to soft and the pressure from your wiper blades would scratch the film. There is a product that I used you install, it's called Clearplex. It's I hard film that will last abut a year maybe 2 years tops with proper up keep on a daily driver. When I used to install the film they were so confident in there product they would actually replace your windshield for free if it cracked. That was about 4 years ago now. Since then they have changed owners and the price has gone up. Figure to pay around $400.
Sponsored