Sponsored

Has anyone swapped the oem 20" for 19" PP's?

Lerxst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all.
I have a 2018 with the pretty looking OEM 20" wheels. I was wondering if anyone has swapped these for a set of PP wheels, and if so, why did they do it? Also interested in any stories about 20" swaps for aftermarket 19".

The color and options on my car are everything I wanted, and for a used car (3k miles) I think it was a good find. While I like the 20" wheels, I feels they make the car look too "elegant". I like the aggressive look of the 19" PP black with the offset. My initial thought is to wait for bald tires then spring for a Tire-Rack sourced set of them.
Sponsored

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure you can go to 19" wheels. Often the minimum wheel diameter is determined by the clearance needed for the brakes.

OP
OP
Lerxst

Lerxst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Good point, but I think the 20" wheel package has the normal GT brakes. So since GT's come with 19" more than anything else, I should be OK? But then again, maybe the OEM Performance Package wheels need the PP calipers for fitment. All good to consider.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Literally at the bottom of this forum page a guy did it: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...1-wheels-weight-and-size.114410/#post-2417868

The stock black PP 19" wheels weight close to the same as your 20s, but you do get a little bit of sidewall back... but there are a ton of decent lighter and stronger aftermarket 19" wheels to pick from, which is what I'd recommend. A lightweight aftermarket wheel might only save you 10-15% of your total wheel and tire weight, but its noticeable.

OP
OP
Lerxst

Lerxst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Literally at the bottom of this forum page a guy did it: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...1-wheels-weight-and-size.114410/#post-2417868

The stock black PP 19" wheels weight close to the same as your 20s, but you do get a little bit of sidewall back... but there are a ton of decent lighter and stronger aftermarket 19" wheels to pick from, which is what I'd recommend. A lightweight aftermarket wheel might only save you 10-15% of your total wheel and tire weight, but its noticeable.
Then aftermarket is what will do! As long as it looks similar to the PP wheel, and has the nice offset of the PP wheel. I was hoping for more weight savings from my 20s. I would also appreciate more sidewall and a little less steering wheel shock when hitting sharp sudden bumps.

I also like the idea of throwing on a wheel/tire package that I can thrash around in, then in two years or so when I sell, throw on the 20's and BLING!!
Sponsored