Sponsored

Has anyone seen Borla's "new" resonator delete?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I've always heard res delete x-pipe is good for a few hp up top, and res delete h-pipe is good for a little down low torque increase.

People really need to stop reposting this.
Sponsored

OP
OP
nastang87xx

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The only time the X pipe H pipe thing is true is when you're pushing so much air either through RPM or boost volume that you should have open headers/dumps/zoomies because the hot side flow requirements are so high that a full exhaust system becomes an actual true restriction much less a crossover section. Which on street cars is almost never. You may see an average of 2 or 3 horsepower difference from constant repeated runs again and again and again on an ENGINE dyno, much less a chassis dyno. To the point where I ask how high do you hold your pinky finger while sipping your Earl Grey?

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Agreed, sound and less weight is about the only real benefits. I’m leaving the suitcase in. Lol.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
someone has to TYFT so we can get sound clips.

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
There is only 6 pounds difference in weight between the suitcase and Steeda's H-pipe. I got mine just for sound and it does exactly what I wanted.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Well, finally got my Steeda H-pipe installed. I did two dyno pulls before and after just to see if there is any noticeable difference in HP/TQ. As I suspected, there wasn't really any noticeable gains/losses overall, but what was interesting, is the shift in the torque curve down low up to about 3800 rpm. I saw gains in this range from about 10-18 lb-ft. This was a same day, same dyno test, and I think shows a big enough difference to be more than just tolerable error. It was kind of what I was expecting, but maybe not quite that much. It may have cost me a few HP up top, but not really much if any.

BTW, the H-pipe really wakes up the active exhaust. To me, it's noticeably louder, and makes more difference between the normal/sport/track settings. Track is pretty damn loud now. Sport is perfect and still my favorite setting.

full.jpg

Edit: Since my car is stock, fuel shut off at about 6800 rpm when it hit the 155 mph limiter in 4th.

Last edited:

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I remember within 5 is about the same as margin of error. So even if you assume every change +/-5 is just margin of error that is still a 4WTQ to 13WTQ bump from 2K to 3800RPM. That's impressive. Also the fact that it's about 10* hotter on the 2nd runs.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Impressive torque gain. Looks to be more than just the margin of error. I don't know why there would be any real HP loss at high rpm. The H pipe has to flow at least as well as the resonator at high speed. It doesn't seen logical that the resonator would add scavenging effect more than the H pipe.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Impressive torque gain. Looks to be more than just the margin of error. I don't know why there would be any real HP loss at high rpm. The H pipe has to flow at least as well as the resonator at high speed. It doesn't seen logical that the resonator would add scavenging effect more than the H pipe.
DA was quite a bit higher with the afternoon pulls. Depending on correction, that's probably the main reason for any drop. It's negligible at best. Pretty consistent between the pulls though. Morning (pre H-pipe) 416/410 and 415/410. Afternoon (post H-pipe) 414/412 and 409/413. I had just driven about 75 miles at 80-85 with A/C on prior to the afternoon pulls, so it may have been a little more heat soaked too.

Man, you were right about the sound. It sounds sooooo good!

Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I have been wondering about this piece for awhile now. There is someone on the forum who installed it on an active exhaust and it sounds really good. What I'm curious about is the part where David Borla said the way the pipe allows easier flow and quantifies it with a 2% gain over a standard X-pipe. 2% over almost nothing seems to be nonexistent gains but then I started wondering about when you add a cat delete to something like this. After seeing the 2018 GT Dyno before and aft Mak Cat Delete thread made me think about this again. I wonder what a cat delete would gain over a standard X-pipe and this. Sound would likely change as well (still loud as heck but note would likely change).

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
To my ears this new pipe sounds simply terrible, way too raspy and hollow, especially compared to the stock exhaust.
Totally agree.
Sponsored