Sponsored

Has anyone replaced downpipe on an active exhaust car?

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019 with active exhaust, and im thinking about replacing the downpipe with a catted or catless one. Has anyone else done this with an active exhaust car? I'd love to hear what it sounds like before i do it.
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Are you going for power of just sound?

OP
OP
RichBrew

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
Preferably both.

OP
OP
RichBrew

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
Since it’s been a while, I’ll put this out there again....

Sponsored

Deleted member

They aren't too much money... why don't you swap it out and see how it is?
x2 I've been running a fleabay catless downpipe for almost 2 years, no issues with quality or fitment. If you do get one don't overpay for a name brand, its not rocket science to design a downpipe.

OP
OP
RichBrew

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
That doesn’t help. I’m intelligent enough to understand that I could try it myself without someone having to suggest it to me on a forum. Obviously I’m not interested in doing that, else I’d have already done it instead of asking the question.

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
I too want to replace my down pipe. My issue is that I have installed a Roush CAI and CVF intercooler. My understanding is that if I go with a high flow downpipe, I have to install a tune and may need a restrictor on the O2 sensor. Until I can get some answers that I feel comfortable with, I am going to hold off.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
I too want to replace my down pipe. My issue is that I have installed a Roush CAI and CVF intercooler. My understanding is that if I go with a high flow downpipe, I have to install a tune and may need a restrictor on the O2 sensor. Until I can get some answers that I feel comfortable with, I am going to hold off.

OEM cats have a 400 per inch cell count, if you get a 3” downpipe with a 300-400 cell count you’ll be fairly safe without a tune and will not through a code. If however you go to a super high flow catted downpipe with a 100-200 cell count a tune is definitely recommended as well as a restrictor for the o2 sensor. If you go catless you must have a tune and a restrictor.
Having said that, I would not run an aftermarket downpipe without a tune, for the safety of my motor and the extra power that can be found with tuning for the hardware.

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Velocity Mustang GT, 2017 Lexus GX460
Vehicle Showcase
OEM cats have a 400 per inch cell count, if you get a 3” downpipe with a 300-400 cell count you’ll be fairly safe without a tune and will not through a code. If however you go to a super high flow catted downpipe with a 100-200 cell count a tune is definitely recommended as well as a restrictor for the o2 sensor. If you go catless you must have a tune and a restrictor.
Having said that, I would not run an aftermarket downpipe without a tune, for the safety of my motor and the extra power that can be found with tuning for the hardware.
Hi, I'm running on 3 inch cat back, and planning for the mishimoto catted down pipe...
1st Is it ok that i skip the IC?
2nd Is it ok if I run this set up with out a tune?
Thanks.

Sponsored

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Or maybe Krona? That seems to say a tune is not required... Or any lower budget suggestions? :blush:

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, I'm running on 3 inch cat back, and planning for the mishimoto catted down pipe...
1st Is it ok that i skip the IC?
2nd Is it ok if I run this set up with out a tune?
Thanks.
1. A new intercooler should take precedence over a new downpipe. Cooling the intake charge will help keep your motor healthy as well as potentially aiding power production.
2. Mishimoto catted downpipes come in 2 versions from what I’ve seen, one is a high count cat that doesn’t “require” a tune, the other has a super high flow cat that mishimoto recommends having a tune. Which one do you have?
I personally would not run a larger downpipe with out a tune.....not only for the safety of my motor but also because it doesn’t make any sense to spend several hundred dollars on a performance part and not get that performance.

NickZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
1. A new intercooler should take precedence over a new downpipe. Cooling the intake charge will help keep your motor healthy as well as potentially aiding power production.
2. Mishimoto catted downpipes come in 2 versions from what I’ve seen, one is a high count cat that doesn’t “require” a tune, the other has a super high flow cat that mishimoto recommends having a tune. Which one do you have?
I personally would not run a larger downpipe with out a tune.....not only for the safety of my motor but also because it doesn’t make any sense to spend several hundred dollars on a performance part and not get that performance.
Ok, I'm looking at the high flow one, I guess I should go for the inter cooler first. So look for high count cat. Got it, thanks!
Sponsored