Sponsored

Has anyone previously owned the 2011-2014 Mustang 5.0 (any model)?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just curious if anyone has owned a prior 2010-2014 Mustang 5.0 (any model)?

Did that platform have any major mechanical (powertrain) issues to be aware of?

How did you like it as far as it’s “as built” stock performance?

We know the S550 is a more refined platform, so I’m not looking for that comparison. Just looking for honest input as to how a 2010-2014 5.0 performs and if there’s any known issues to be aware of when buying a used one.

Would you buy another?
Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

We know the S550 is a more refined platform, so I’m not looking for that comparison. Just looking for honest input as to how a 2010-2014 5.0 performs and if there’s any known issues to be aware of when buying a used one.

Would you buy another?

Can't speak for the engine as I had a 2011 GT500 but it never inspired confidence in corners. Could have been my lack of driving skill as it was my first serious RWD vehicle but as hilariously fun as it was go straight as fast as possible, it was terrifying trying to corner fast. I remember reading the stock tires for that car were trash so that could have been a thing too.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Can't speak for the engine as I had a 2011 GT500 but it never inspired confidence in corners. Could have been my lack of driving skill as it was my first serious RWD vehicle but as hilariously fun as it was go straight as fast as possible, it was terrifying trying to corner fast. I remember reading the stock tires for that car were trash so that could have been a thing too.
They were complete garbage on my '07 GT500 too. Just like the OEM Pirellis on my '15.

I almost ordered a '11 5.0 GT, but didn't want a first year powerplant. Stuck with my '09 Bullitt instead. I don't know that they were much different than later examples in terms of mechanical issues as it turned out though. I'd swap my '15 for a '13 Boss 302 in a heartbeat if the deal was right (i.e. more or less an even swap).

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
They were complete garbage on my '07 GT500 too. Just like the OEM Pirellis on my '15.

I almost ordered a '11 5.0 GT, but didn't want a first year powerplant. Stuck with my '09 Bullitt instead. I don't know that they were much different than later examples in terms of mechanical issues as it turned out though. I'd swap my '15 for a '13 Boss 302 in a heartbeat if the deal was right (i.e. more or less an even swap).
I remember the Boss 302's coming out and wishing I'd gone that route instead of the Shelby. Loved hearing the supercharger whine but hated that the tires were always breaking lose. Crazy that my current GT has 90 less HP than that Shelby but it's quite a bit faster. Technology is great!

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2012 GT with the performance pack. The stock tires (pirelli's) weren't that bad. They wore out pretty fast but did ok in all areas.

What I didn't like was the torque flat spot in the mid rpm and the skip shift feature. Both of which were deleted using a tuner. It really woke the car up. It handled ok, but not amazing. It's a solid axle car so you've got to work around that as your primary enemy unless you just drag race. I never had any engine issues either but did need a catch can for the passenger side. It collected a lot of oil. The transmission (MT82) was pretty notchy and numb. Missed shifts were pretty common during spirited street driving. The clutch was very light for a muscle car but didn't bother me.

Sponsored

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
I owned a 2014 GT California Special a6 auto. Seats were horrible compared to my base 18 seats. Solid axle always kicked out hard on 1-2 shift (Lund tuned) on street tires. Handling was meh. With that said it was a decent car and ran consistent 12.1’s @ 115 mph on 255 Nero all season rears. Do not miss it compared to my a10 pp1 18.

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
I have had a 2011 Mustang GT,new off Showroom. A 2012 Roush RS3 Phase 3 to 675hp, then a 2013 Shelby GT500 in the S197 platform. I never had any issues with any, but with that said, they were all stepping stone to get to the 13 Shelby.
I think the fit and finish of the S197's are better than the S550, which I now have a 17 Roush RS3.
The S197's were good cars. Suspension was not as good as the S550's.
First generations were noted to have weaker rods, but I never saw anybody have that problem. I guess push the power enough and rev too high and it will get ya.
The 13 Shelby was stiff on rough roads and did have a hard time putting the massive power and torque down, which is kind of the reason I traded to the Roush RS3 and Auto transmission. Plus the Grabber Blue.

spectreman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt
I had a '14 GT Track Pack model . Never an issue w/anything, did basic bolt-ons and loved the car. High quality build from Ford, IMHO.

joez3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
We currently have a 65, 2013, and 2015 in the house. The 2013 has the Brembo break package, the 2015 is the 50th LE. I don't think there any major differences in the automatic transmissions between these years. The 2015 has a different head and put outs an extra 15hp.
My 2013 hasn't had any mechanical issues. I had the airbag recall, but I think every car had to have there airbags replaced.
Some people have complained about an engine tick. I know some people had ford look at it, and I don't think anyone found the root cause. Some got there engines replaced.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

Would you buy another?
I had an 11. Thought it was a fine car. Never had to take it for any warranty work in the two years of ownership. it didn’t handle as well as the current cars. But that’s expected.

Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I had a 2012 5.0 that was custom ordered by the first owner. 3.73 gears. Yellow blaze. I loved that car. I had it for a few years before i traded it in for a truck. Never really had any issues with it. Didn't handle nearly as well as the s550 platform but thats to be expected.

The interior was pretty ok.

0_20160827_192531.jpg
1_20160827_192523.jpg

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I had a 2011 Brembo GT. It had the 3.73 rear gears as well. I bought it in 2013. Got a great deal on it. I loved that car. I think it's better looking than the 2015+ cars - at least from the front.

2011 GT.JPG

I loved the gearing. It made the car feel fast. When I went to the 2015 GT it felt a lot slower.

The shifter was completely terrible. I think there were some 2011s that had welding slag on a rod in the shifter and the slag would wear out the bushings. Anyway, whatever the cause, I replaced the shifter because it was so bad that it was very easy to miss a gear. The MT-82 would also crunch regularly in second gear. Not a huge deal, that's just how a lot of those earlier MT-82s shifted. But something to be aware of.

The headlights suck compared to the 2015+ if you ever need good lighting of the road. There's an absolutely enormous difference. One of the major upgrade with the 2015+ IMO (I realize in 2012+ some cars had the HIDs, but those also have the pig-nose. Too ugly for me).

I never had it on the road course, so I can't really tell you how it handled when driven quickly. I think the SRA is pretty good as long as you are on a relatively smooth road. On the street the suspension was a little overly firm for me. I think the GT350 was perfect firmness. The 2015 base GT I owned was extremely compliant but with slightly less body motion than the 2011 IIRC. That car felt like a Cadillac after getting out of the Brembo GT. The Brembo GT didn't control body motions as well, but yet it was more firm. Sometimes on the interstate I would feel like I was getting shaken baby syndrome. And sometimes the SRA would skip around a little if you hit a bump just right (wrong). That could be a little unnerving.

I'm a wider guy and I prefer by far the wider seat bases they put in the pre-2015 cars. I had cloth seats in my Brembo GT and I thought they were great. I traded it for a 2015 base GT and the seats were one of the things that almost made me decide not to do it. But I do think the head rests in the 2015+ are better. In the 2011 they kind of point at your head, which isn't comfortable for everyone. My wife hated the head rests in that car.

Anyway - I hope this is helpful. I definitely have fond feelings for the 2011 GT I owned and I do miss some things about it.

Edit: I owned two different 2011 Mustangs and both ended up with bubbling in the paint at the leading edge of the hood. Annoying. And the interior definitely isn't as nice as the S550s but to me it was fine. I never had any issues with the interior quality.

Last edited:

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I had a 2014 5.0 convertible. I bought it used with about 33k miles stock 3 years ago and drove it until it hit about 60k miles. I had no mechanical issues with it. Just regular oil changes and replaced all the tires once. The lady that owned it before me was a family friend so I knew how she drove it around. I would consider buying another one because I love how the 14 body looks.

Ablaze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 TO CFTP, 2013 SBY Boss 302

Would you buy another?
I did buy another. 2013 Boss 302. Beyond the Exedy clutch going in for the high rpm lockout, no complaints. Looks great, handles great, sounds great. I actually enjoy it more than my 14 Shelby I sold for my 2020.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I had a 2011 GT M6 3.73 that I bought new and sold at 190K miles - still on the stock clutch. The car had two major problems: It went through 5 A/C units and I always had to top off the oil.
Sponsored