Sponsored

Has anyone opened up the honeycomb on an 18-19 GT grille?

BigBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT - 10spd Auto, Performance Pack Lvl 1
Just curious how you did it cleanly and how it worked out, considering the grille "material" is much harder black plastic now.
Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Just did mine when I installed my Velossa Big Mouths. Only on the corners though. I used a Dremel with a cutting blade around the entire outside just far enough in to cut the back piece off while still leaving the honeycombs, then I used a carpenter saw to cut the rest off using the dremel cuts as a guide. Was going to use a hacksaw but felt more comfortable with a rigid blade. Did a quick sanding on the back to clean up what I could and then used a fine-tip fine grinder on the dremel and a fine file to clean up the rest. Sorry I don't have any pics of the process or having it off the car but I took the front off and then removed the grill from the bumper (mandatory IMO to do this).

Came out great IMO. There are a few imperfections if you look really close and every honeycomb is not perfectly uniform. But you're not really gonna notice it. Filing and cleaning it up was the longest part. Everything else was easy. Not sure how I would do it if you wanted to do the mid-section as well. Drill each one would be a pain in the dick IMO. I'd probably just Dremel around it and then slowly cut in until that section comes off.

LMDX9ZH.jpg

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Honestly, I started to and then stopped. Way too difficult on the new grill while on the car. Any messups are easy to see.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Yes. Half inch drill bit works perfect if your careful and take your time. Start with smaller bit to allign and work up. :).

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
p1070589_zpsu7t5mlbd.jpg
Sponsored