Sponsored

Has anyone installed the 2021 GT500 strut tower brace on an 18+ GT with a TVS blower/Whipple Without lowering the engine?

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
From everything I see it should fit no issue. I’m curious if anyone has first hand experience.
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think there is another thread where the real problem is closing the standard hood once it’s fitted … :frown:

Then there’s the cost … :surprised:

WD :like:

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think there is another thread where the real problem is closing the standard hood once it’s fitted … :frown:

Then there’s the cost … :surprised:

WD :like:
I will be installing the Shelby GT-H hood. I think the hood has a good amount of room. So I don’t think thats an issue. I’ll have to reeevaluate when I install I guess. But no matter what I won’t lower the engine. It’s completely not worth it and unnecessary. and since I’ve added Steeda’s $100 ultra lite G-Trac brace which is really all that’s needed to make up for the difference along with many rear IRS upgrades under the car I not only don’t notice anything I think the handling is pretty much tighter than it was with one. So adding one would just be for looks at this point and personal preference Not something I really need.

Last edited:

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
Maybe try BMR engine mounts. They lower the engine 1/2" and save 8 lbs off the front end.

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe try BMR engine mounts. They lower the engine 1/2" and save 8 lbs off the front end.
Thanks. But I just said I would never lower my engine. It’s completely unnecessary. Appreciate the input though.

Sponsored

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Thanks. But I just said I would never lower my engine. It’s completely unnecessary. Appreciate the input though.
Out of curiosity, why the strong opposition to lowering the engine? I really didn't want to either, but was uncomfortable with Whipple clearances that I had. I put the BMR brackets on and have yet to find any down side.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That plastic oil pan makes me more than a little nervous when contemplating lowering the car.

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Out of curiosity, why the strong opposition to lowering the engine? I really didn't want to either, but was uncomfortable with Whipple clearances that I had. I put the BMR brackets on and have yet to find any down side.
There’s really no reason too. My headers are bigger my exhaust is bigger. The cars already lowered, I have magneride. Theres no reason to make clearance at the Motor even a cm less. Doing so also adds a little NVH. Not that i would notice it and the oil pan like someone has mentioned is more at a risk too. I feel no negative from removing the strut tower. Adding a gt500 one is more for me that’s all. I don’t need to lower the engine to have one, so if I can’t I can’t. That’s life. The strut tower brace is a useless mod if you do everything right. Which I have. Honestly it should fit. I’m changing the hood out so the hood will give it clearance. I just wanted to see if anyone else spent the money on one. Doesn’t seem that way though. More into bagging cars now a days. Lol. Jk no one get emotional please. Just a Joke.

Last edited:

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
There’s really no reason too. My headers are bigger my exhaust is bigger. The cars already lowered, I have magneride. Theres no reason to make clearance at the Motor even a cm less. Doing so also adds a little NVH. Not that i would notice it and the oil pan like someone has mentioned is more at a risk too. I feel no negative from removing the strut tower. Adding a gt500 one is more for me that’s all. I don’t need to lower the engine to have one, so if I can’t I can’t. That’s life. The strut tower brace is a useless mod if you do everything right. Which I have. Honestly it should fit. I’m changing the hood out so the hood will give it clearance. I just wanted to see if anyone else spent the money on one. Doesn’t seem that way though. More into bagging cars now a days. Lol. Jk no one get emotional please. Just a Joke.
Fair enough, I'm lowered on magnaride with bigger headers, and exhaust and oil pan clearance is honestly the least of my worries. There was no perceivable difference in NVH using the BMR engine brackets., but I wouldn't even have considered their engine mounts. I wouldn't have lowered it just to fit a STB either, but my Whipple was basically touching part of the firewall. I believe the garbage BMR K-member may have moved the engine slightly, necessitating the lowering of the engine.

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fair enough, I'm lowered on magnaride with bigger headers, and exhaust and oil pan clearance is honestly the least of my worries. There was no perceivable difference in NVH using the BMR engine brackets., but I wouldn't even have considered their engine mounts. I wouldn't have lowered it just to fit a STB either, but my Whipple was basically touching part of the firewall. I believe the garbage BMR K-member may have moved the engine slightly, necessitating the lowering of the engine.
I mean. I don’t use BMR. strictly steeda for me. But that’s annoying.

Sponsored

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Lowering your engine won't matter. The mounts are on the frame and the clearance issue is the stock hood, not the blower.

OP
OP
Semp1

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lowering your engine won't matter. The mounts are on the frame and the clearance issue is the stock hood, not the blower.
It matters. Everything matters.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It's completely unnecessary, until it isn't. The reason they make lowering mounts and sell a lot of them is because cars like the GT350 won't fit a whipple kit without lowering the entire motor (because of the hood). Guys that want to run a CJ setup without having to mangle their hood liner, etc.

The answer to your question is no, without either modifying the hood or lowering the motor, you won't be able to fit the strut brace between the hood and the blower with adequate clearance. Guys have fabbed up spacers to lift the strut brace and make it physically work again, but dimensionally there's just not enough space between the stock motor mount location and the bottom of the hood to fit everything associated with a PD blower AND the extra space of the brace and clearance above and below.

You could try the GT500 brace, but it's Magnesium and very pricey. Parts farm has one for sale and another outfit out west has been listing one for $1700, (I think they've since come down). I offered them $1000.00 and they declined. (which was more than I wanted to risk and then find out it doesn't work).
Sponsored